Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just got back from Billetproof, TX

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KreaturesCCaustin, Jul 25, 2009.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

Oh, and to the comments about AC and tilt columns...WTF!?!?!? There have NEVER been any rules against those things. On the wrong car they can be super lame, but they definitely don't disqualify a car.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  2. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yes, rat rods are ghey! The problem is that they are difficult to weed out because technically many fit the criteria, just in a fucked up way. They are kind of like building a puzzle the wrong way and calling it done. Yes, you used all the pieces to the puzzle, but it looks like shit and nobody's impressed..

3. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

thanks Rusty.i was shocked that my new truck was picked for an award.good to see you and your boy.

to all who put on the show, a big thanks goes out to you.i had a blast.

see you next year.

-danny

4. LowMOJO

LowMOJO

By the way the food at Frank-n-Steins Grill was awesome!!!! It was a block away from the bowling alley. Great for breakfast, Lunch or dinner! Talk bout hue-mon-gous burgers, or having a pancake that was bigger than your plate, well they got it. So next year cya if you can put them down as a food vendor or just a nice place to stop and eat. Their food is for artey blocking only, youve been warned!!!!:D

5. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

Ill be back.I also have a few friends who would probably be interested in being food vendors next year.Choptop Ill be in touch in about nine months I guess.Thanks again guys and gals for putting on a great show! Javier

6. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Kirk have you ever done stand up before? .......this is some very true and funny shit you have here.........lol.........it all boils down to either you have the ability to put together a piece of art. Unfortunaley not everyone has the ability to do so even though to them it may be art. but like I said before the thing that hurts 90% of the vehicles is the idea of adding rather than knowing when to say enough is enough. How many cars come in with some sort of over done theme or gimick to draw attention to their car. Usually the results end up in a ridiculous over done Halloween theme car that should be parading around durinjg the holidays. Some of these people should rreally consider building floats for the holidays and such.

I really don't like to talk about others but when they are insisting that their car is traditional then we have to consider what tradition it is that they are trying to carry out. But from going to the Florida show and paying attention to the Billetproof website for many years now I have to say they do a wonderful job in both promoting a show that is supposed to be for the traditional style cars and truck many of us love and they also do a hell of a job in drawing these particualr cars and ttrucks out from all over the surrounding areas for many to see.

So I have to say even if there is someting here and there on some or maybe even most of the cars and trucks there is still a respecful amount of bare bone Hotrods and straight bad ass customs that are true to the styles that Billetproof stands that is what will keep me going back every year that I can.

J.Lockwood

7. Marcy,
    Anyone remember the first Round UP at a dinky little stadium in Austin?
    If this year one is any indication, this event is going to be a real barnburner.
    Thanks for everything, Marcy. You done Giddings and Texas proud.

8. I wasn't able to go, but from the show coverage, they better change the date to NOT coincide with KKOA Salina.. I'm already making plans for Salina next year after seeing what kind of show it is, and Giddings is much closer to me.

9. OHR281

OHR281

We had a good time despite the the high temps. It was exactly what I expected from the first Billetproof in Texas. As far as I can see it is only going to grow.
    S.

10. Choptop

Choptop

we are already working on that. This was literally the ONLY date we could get at the fairgrounds in Giddings. There is a hall on the property that books up for weddings, birthday parties and such. But I think now we have a little pull in picking our date ;).

The scheduling machine for the Billetproof 2010 shows is in overdrive and running overtime. We'll have a full schedule here pretty soon.

Hot? damn it was hot... but not as hot as it is outside the Phoenix airport where I am sitting right now... its 112!!!! :eek:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  11. I think it's kinda funny that Christian used the word "carnie" to describe someone. I mean...he's probably most likely to actually hang out with carnies...or ANYBODY for that matter. He has the widest cross section of friends I've ever seen. I don't have anything of any substance to add...I just thought that comment was amusing. :D carry on...........

12. billylo

billylo

Dang Brian!! Did you drop a valve in your coupe. That stinks. I went to Fredricksburg Swap Meet. Should have come here instead. Be there next year.

13. 37FABRICATION

37FABRICATION

We got to drive up and hangout for a few hours. Mellow atmosphere and some cool stuff to walk around and look at...

14. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

It wasn't a bad show. Pretty much what I expected. A fair share of clean traditional rods & customs, with a fair share of turds and cars that just shouldn't have been there. Weird, it sounds like a smaller version of the Round Up. Although you can't compare the two at all, but every car show has it's issues.

A little unorganized, but not a big deal. One douche at the gate kept telling my friend to pop the hood, because another friend in front of us jokingly told him there was billet under the hood. I told him to fuck off and let us through before the goddamn car overheated. And no, there was no billet whatsoever, it was a joke.

I bitched about it being in Giddings when I first heard it was coming to Texas, mostly because I didn't want to drive out to BFE for a show, but the drive wasn't bad at all, and the park itself was actually pretty much perfect for a car show. Lots of shade, buildings/barns, etc. Great location...should keep it there next year.

My only real issue with the show, was something that nobody could possibly change. The heat. It was hot a fuck. I don't really mind because I'm used to it, but it makes a good thing turn miserable for most folks. After the trophy ceremony thing the guy on stage said they'd try to move it to a cooler time of year... I think that's a great idea.

On top of moving the show to "not so effing hot" date, the attendance would be up big time, both spectators AND entries. Also, KKOA was going on in Kansas, and Texas Heat Wave in Austin, so next time, as long as there isn't another show going on at the same time...I'd bet there would be alot more people.

I say good job, hopefully better next time.

15. Toptinman

Toptinman

My co-pilot and I had a great time. true, it was hot but that wasn't as much a problem for me as much as it was for her. She sat under the shade a lot while I ventured out and shot pictures. Great cars there! Burned a lot of film!

16. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

Sounds like a good time and putting on a show of any size is hard work, but the rules kept us away. After seeing the pictures of the show and after reading this thread about what was there , I am thoroughly confused about the rules.

The term rat rod is a touchy subject for me because some say that is what I drive because my truck is in semi-gloss black paint, pin striped and wears white walls.

I think the term rat rod has evolved from what it was originally and now is the politically correct way to say POS for some. Some have gone to far and created a new stigma for the term rat rod. Painting murals of a rats drinking moonshine on the doors, a coon tail hanging off of the back, some garage sale plastic school chairs for seats and pin locks for the doors - might as well throw in a cry baby doll to top it off. Just my two cents.

17. Tx51chevy

Tx51chevy
    from Texas

I think the show was great. There are always gonna be cars that you don't like. It's simple. Just don't look at them!!! Nobody is telling you to like every car.

18. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Didnt attend only cause I was out of state. Looks like a fun time and it seems to be a good place for a show. Glad its moving to a "cooler" month next year. Looking forward to Billetproof TX 2010

19. Devils_Instigator

Devils_Instigator
    from Tejas

We had a great time and look forward to the next one.

20. jester5388

jester5388

i think the cameras at all car shows are allergic to my car...hahahai have not been in any offical photos from bayou city burnout, hotrod hoedown, rockabilly revival, lonestar roundup or billetproof... is it really that ugly?

21. jester5388

jester5388

i also disagree with smokin28 i though giddings was horrible venue for billetproof. there is only one suitable place for a show of that proportion....Luckenbach... i mean really what is gidding without the Buckees?