Register now to get rid of these ads!

KKOA Salina...my take

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodbuilder, Jul 27, 2009.

1. rodbuilder

rodbuilder

Got back from Salina, pulled in the driveway at 2:30 in the morn, drove straight home so the wife could get to work.....

We got into town of Friday afternoon...just walked around and talke to people....then we went to the drags...WOW...was that crazy, I never made it out to the drags since they have been doing it...but deff can not miss it again! I try to explain it to my buddies that were not there and they don't get it! What a good time....

We got up early Sat to get a shady spot, to hang out...we had blast, talking to old friends and meeting new ones.......man was the park packed...I think in a year or so they might run out of room.....

I have been to just about every national show series, and I love the KKOA shows...no egos, no prefered parking, hardly any power parking...except for Plowboy...LOL no set times to be anywhere...basically a bullshit free event...........

I think Moriarty said it best..."its not a show...its a family reunion"....

We had fun, love the town, as they seem to be happy for the show to be there, so many towns we go to, don't seem to like te car people coming to town....

We got some nice compliments on the car we brought this year...I know it not for everyone, as they can not get over the wheels being aluminum...(gasp)....thats why I never put pics of it on this site....but just about every mod is traditional or a wist of a traditional mod...we built it (if yu looked through the build book) as a modern nod to GM Concept/motorama cars for the 50's....

I want to thank my customers, Paul and Erik Hansen, that kinda let me go crazy, and take in and consider all my ideas...and working with Brian Stupski was awesome also....

We did get a few very high honors/compliments with some awards...we got one of The Jonny D picks....we got the Elden Titus Memorial Awards...which means so much to me, you have no idea...I got all choked up when I was trying to talk...WOW was that cool!...we also got the 777 award and the $1000, that was very cool and very very unexpected.....

I say I will be back next year...driving my Fleetline project...hopefully, my wife says no(jokingly) but I can go...I just seem to hurt myself and just get out of hospital every year I go...I just got out with broken ribs and punctured and collapsed lung...I was hurtin a little all weekend.....

I said when I was talking, I mentioned...this show is like the Acadamy Awards....high lights for me......I met Gary Howard...seen Pat Ganahl...talked to Plowboy...talked to Fritz...talked to Moriarty...talked to Chuck Miller...talked to Jack Walker...talked to Brian Everett....talked to McFail....talked to the Conyers bros...met Gary Howard...talked the guys from Talent rod shop....talked to Steve Gantz...talked to Jimmy Spears...talked to Mike Buzzello...talked to Satrbird....met Gary Howard...talked to Kevin Anderson...talked to MK John...talked to Damon Lee...got to talk, and pick on Bob K....talked to Alex Gambino...talked to Frank Livingston....talked to Brad Masterson...said hi to Hub Harness....seen Gary Minor....and so many more....did I mention I met Gary Howard.....what a weekend!......

Thanks to the Titus family and the KKOA for doing what they do.....

2. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You were the one that I thought would win.... It was kool to see the kustom in
    person. I spent alot of time checking out the roof line and all of the other kustom
    touches.

Happy Trails,

Mick

3. Plowboy

Plowboy

Congrats Tim! Johnny and I didn't get to stick around yesterday to see what happened at the awards since we both had to be at work today. What, no pics?

4. rodbuilder

rodbuilder

The wife had to be at work this korn also we ...I drove straight though after wards....glad Johnny Sparkle and Johnny Pumphandle got to meet...LOL
    I didn't post pics,...thought they would all throw rocks cause the wheels...

5. rodbuilder

rodbuilder

heres a couple pics....put your thumb over the wheels.....we almost out wie whites on it for the weekend....we might yet for a few shows...

Attached Files:

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Congrats Tim...

I don't think you know me, but I'd talked to you a bit there in Salina about the car...

Just remember, whitewalls do not a 'Kustom' make...if the owner wanted billet wheels, you as the builder put on billet wheels...it's the same as a chopped top does not make a hot rod...nor pastel paint makes a street rod, it's the execution of the whole...

The awards are deserved...the car is great.

R-

7. OHR281

OHR281

Very nice car. Man I wish I could have made it this year. We went last year and loved it. A great variations of customs to take in.

8. rodbuilder

rodbuilder

LOL...true in my book, thanks man...we actually talke in great lenghts about that...first customer it was being done for had off the shelf 20" we knew that wasn't the way to go...it need something special...so we came up with a wheel that was a nod to 50's era Motorama concept stuff...I coulnd't be happier with it...I know its not for everyone, but nothing I ever build is...

9. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't like the wheels when I saw them in the magazines but in person it works with the Kustom. Kool idea putting some Whites on just for kicks, I would love it with Sombreros......

The chop top is just purrrfect....

[​IMG]

10. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Congrats, it sounds like an amazing show...

I like the way it is but would love seeing some WW's with sombrero's on it!

11. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I suspect those wheels cost more than my whole car! They look high dollar and classy to me, just like the rest of the car, I see why you won! Congrats on everything and thanks for posting a review of the show, I've never been but I've always been curious and I think I need to get out there and see it for myself.

12. gonmad

gonmad

Good talking to you Tim. And congrats on the awards, they were well deserved! Oh, and sorry for distracting you by chatting when they called you for the big one! LOL!
    The car looked awesome in the mag, but the mag don't do it justice! It all flows VERY well together.
    Congrats!

If you ever get back this way again, give me a shout!

13. rodbuilder

rodbuilder

Thanks guys....the top is cut up from a 48 Buick four door fast back.with lots, and lots of cutting....and hand rolled C pillars
    Jimmy, it was good seeing you...sorry I had brain fade at first...but I remembered your wife....I know I have heard the same thing before...LOL

14. Racewriter

Racewriter

That car is INSANE. Saw it at KC and Tulsa during the indoor season, and could spend hours looking at it. Don't change the wheels.

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

way to go man, congrats, nice talking with you last weekend. I love that show , it just doesnt get any better....

16. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Mark, with you and your cars there...it ALWAYS gets better...

R-

17. gonmad

gonmad

LOL! Well, if it weren't for her, nobody would know me! LOL! She is DEFINATELY my better half, or more like 9 tenths! :cool:

18. I don't give a damb if it has Aluminimum wheels ! That is one nice ride !!!!!!! You should be proud !!!!

19. rodbuilder

rodbuilder

thanks Fuzzy...and Jimmy I have heard that about my half more than once...maybe 100 times....