Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Family expansion and a dad's dream come true

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HR Classic Cars, Jun 20, 2009.

1. HR Classic Cars

HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

Haven't been online much in the last month or so, we had a HUGE family expansion adding 4 kids to our dink family and things have been a little busy, making me a full time stay at home dad.

Earlier this week my 16yo son, part of the recent family expansion, showed some interest in building himself a hotrod. So I told him he could have the pick of the parts that are laying around.

Yesterday he started working on it, I helped drag the frame to the driveway and showed him how to get started on disassembly, this is how far he got yesterday.

Pretty good choice for a first car if you ask me, Lincoln Zephyr frame and drive train, powertrain from a 1947 Buick, 1952 Ford F1 cab, fenders and hood from a 1946 Zephyr, grille from a 1947 Packard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. Nitrofan

Nitrofan
    from Kentucky

Nice project, I wish I could have had something like that at 16. Good Luck!!!

3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

Great way to bond with your son.

Keep us posted

4. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Thats awsome, I wish my dad was as cool as you..

5. havi

havi

What these guys said.
    Any chance of seeing this parts combo in a photoshopped/or otherwise finished state anywhere?

6. HR Classic Cars

HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

Making some good progress on his project, the frame is mostly cleaned up and shortened, need to get the rust of now. Ready to start mounting the cab. The work is slow, but Jason is learning a lot of new skills, taught him how to weld over the weekend so he can do the crossbracing on the frame himself. My younger son, Sammy, of 8 has also started helping, he is great with the sand blaster ;-)

After much talking back and forth I think I've finally got him convinced to loose the fenders and go with a bare bones car (truck?) picked him up some parts today, including an under floor power master brake cylinder, a carpet set, mirrors and all cab hardware, it's nice when your buddy completes a restoration on a '52 F1 and has lot's of parts left over.

Just posting this to show off.. it's great to teach my own sons how to do all this work and nice to see it all come together.

The pictures are from two weeks ago, need to go take some new ones, but it's been raining all day.

Attached Files:

7. Amoros

Amoros

So, whatever happened?

8. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

The original poster hasn't been here for two years, so chances are he won't reply.

9. rschilp

rschilp

I'm the original poster, although I changed my userid.

Just took this project out of the mothballs today. Using some left over pieces here and there to get it back on track.

Family is doing great, bigger kids moved on to college and lost interest in the hotrod, so now I'm going to finish this one sitting right besides my own 3 window v12 project.

The project thread is here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396274