Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help! From front, what is correct crank rotation on a 454?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VonFly, Jul 27, 2009.

1. VonFly

VonFly

Trying to determine if belt is seizing up due to my alternator (minor rattle), or a.c. compressor. Should a.c. compressor turn freely in both directions? Appears to turn freely in one direction, but "catches" sometimes in the other. Is that normal?
    If I know crank rotation direction (looking from front) that will help me get started troubleshooting. Sorry for the dumb questions.

2. All engines (unless a reverse rotation in boat) will turn clockwise looking at the front

3. OK I got a 50-50 chance here.
    Clockwise? :rolleyes:

Look at your timing marks on the balancer. One side will say BTDC it should be on the right side of the zero as you look at the engine. That would mean that it rotates clockwise.

You other option is to have someone bump the sytarter, the way the starter turns it is the direction of rotation.

I could probably think of different ways to tell rotation all day long.

Fire it up walk around the front and look?

You A/C compressor should turn freely in either direction, if you think that the AC is your problem try turning it off. it has a clutch on the pully.

or as my dearly departed grand daddy would say "thiMk"

4. squirrel

squirrel

What kind of alternator is it? or, what year is it? the old 10-SI alternators hardly ever sieze, the newer ones they started using in the mid-late 80s will rattle and lock up when the undersize rear bearing goes bad.

5. VonFly

VonFly

Uhhhh, nevermind. I think Squirrel got it right. I went ahead and replaced the alternator for 70 bucks (plus new belt). Apparently the Alt bearings failed. In my prior experiences it's always been the charging circuit that failed. THANKS for all replies!!!!!!