Register now to get rid of these ads!

stripped crank bolt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by irv53, Jul 25, 2009.

1. irv53

irv53
    BANNED

I stripped out the bolt on the crankshaft(holds pulley,damper,etc) can it be heli-coiled or suggestion for fix ,(its in 350sbc/T -roadster), J_B weld ???I am open to ANY safe ,permanent fix irv53

2. Drill and tap to 1/2 " thread and make sure to put a long enough bolt back in it >>>>.

3. irv53

irv53
    BANNED

drill tap///OK ,no problem ww/ hardness of crankshaft?? if not ,I appreciate the quick response ...IRV

4. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

IRV, get a helicoil kit...7/16 fine thread..use the proper size drill bit (marked on the kit ).
    Fixed a bunch this way, no problem...
    Why did it strip ?
    Usually they strip when someone uses the wrong length bolt...
    good luck
    Dave

5. oldsman71

oldsman71

x2:D

6. Cast cranks are not hardened---Ha that's why it stripped out. A heli-coil is going to be a short depth repair as you need more depth on the threads so you don't strip it out again >>>>.

7. 7/16" is the tapping size drill for 1/2"unf, clean out with 7/16" drill & tap 1/2'.

8. I have a sbc that got water in cylinder #2.
    It was stuck and someone tried to see if it turned and strip the said bolt.
    The cyl walls are great and im in the process of freeing the pistons,I put mystery oil on all cyl and most of them freed up.
    Can I just stick a longer bolt in there??
    Or do I have to tap it...
    Thanks

9. richie rebel

richie rebel

i'm with pro five x on that, drill and tap to 1/2 standard thread,the hell with fine thread,ain't worth a damn

10. Heli-coil or larger bolt is the same work. You got to drill out the striped threads and re-tap the hole. Measure the depth before re-drilling to be sure you go deep enough. The crank will not be too hard to drill if cast, a little tougher if forged, still it can be done. Just use the correct size drill and DON'T step up from a smaller size. Also be sure you don't go sideways with the new hole. The drill should follow the original hole, but it can still drift. Be sure to tap FINE threads, they are stronger than course and that is what was already in there.

11. richie rebel

richie rebel

that why its striped(fine thread),its not stronger than standard thread

12. Sorry wrong answer. Fine threads have greater contact area, like fine splines on a tranny input shaft of axle shaft. The threads were wiped out because the bolt wasn't long enough, was the wrong pitch, or someone over-tightened the bolt.

13. budd

budd

14. zeuglodon

zeuglodon

I'm with drill it and tap it 1/2-20. There is no downside to this. Just use a long enough bolt (at least grade 5) and drill the big fat-assed washer 1/2 inch.

15. ^^^^^^^
    Bad info and an opinion based on wrong or no facts.
    http://www.engineersedge.com/thread_stress_area_b.htm
    Much more holding power, higher torque ratio and loosening resistance with fine threads.

It stripped because someone tried to free a stuck motor with it and a very long pipe.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  16. richie rebel

richie rebel

well, how come i here so many guys messing up threads on there cranks with 7/16 fine threads,then drill and tap 1/2 standard and shazaam!!!!just saying

17. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

A course thread will hold the crank pulley on, however the factory used fine threads in these cranks for a reason and I recommend following their recommendation of using fine threads. Plus it is easier to tap a fine thread as the threads are shallower.

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

283's and most 327's were never drilled for a bolt, they were just pressed on, and ran OK, i've launced a couple, but for the most part they are fine

19. Why are all lug nut studs fine thread?

20. Why is a 2 year old thread by a banned guy still going ?!?!?

21. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Because someone who had a simple question knows how to use the search deal...