Register now to get rid of these ads!

You ever sell a car and have it come back to haunt you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky Burton, Jul 21, 2009.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No no no,
    Your ex-girlfriend went BACK to being a dude and is driving it.......

2. K-is-for-kustom

K-is-for-kustom
    BANNED

IS THE KOOLEST CAR-HAUNT
    STORY EVER!!:

When I was 14 years old I saved up $900 and bought a basket case but rust free '50 DeSoto. I put it all back together with the help of my grandpa. A buddy of his painted it for me with some single stage for $500, and my grandma, an upholsterer from way back did the interior for me, so I had a painted, upholstered and driving '50 DeSoto for under $2000.
    One day I was cruising and saw this red 4dr '50 Shoebox for sale and fell in love when I heard the flattie fire up. I traded the guy straight up for the DeSoto. I drove this car everywhere daily, rain, snow, trips, everything through high school. Until one day I traded it to a Mexican here in Missouri for a '64 impala (no joke).
    About 8 years later I was cruising in my '50 chevy when some greaser dude came up and started talking to me about my fiesta hubcaps. I found out this guy was into the same type of cars as me. (a good friend these days) A few weeks later we got on the subject of this Shoebox that he had just bought on the west coast. One day after work I cruised over to his shop in my '50 Chev. I walked in and saw a slammed grey primer '50 Shoe (SOMEONE HAD DESTROYED THE PATINA!) with a center fog light in the grill. " mine had that fog light too, it's super rare." I said, and walked up to the car. Noticing the red corduroy interior with black dash and garnish moldings I said. "this is my car!!" "I just got it, I'm not selling it!" he said. "No, this is actually my old car!" I said. "bullshit!" he replied. I opened the driver's door and flipped the switch for the center fog light that was hidden way up under the dash where I had mounted it years ago. "damn!, I guess you're right!" he said. About 4 years later I picked up another 4dr shoe box with a rebuilt flattie because it reminded me of my old one. I eventually sold him that shoebox, which ended up being the donor car for a new flathead for my old shoebox. ( confused yet? this is the simple version.) He then sold the second one ( a '51) to a guy with another '49 and kept my old car with the fresh motor in it. Flash forward to this year, I pick up a barn find, chopped way kustom as hell '50 2dr in Kansas and bring it back. Last week, he decides he has to have it after me talking about how it's gonna be the ultimate Shoebox ever for like an hour. All the sudden my buddy Brandon blurts; "I'll trade you the red Shoebox and the [47] Buick for it!" I intentionally hesitate as to not show my eager enthusiasm. "yeah, we could do that." I say in a deliberate mono-tone. So I now have my original Shoebox back, on top of the other '50's rides I have now and a '47 Buick to boot! Hopefully I will have the car at the drags in a month.:rolleyes:

3. I hardly ever sell any of my junk, but those that did get away were never heard from again................

My Deuce 2 dr project, gone but not forgotten. I have no clue where it ended up......

[​IMG]

My 59 Impala. I saw it shortly after I sold it in one of those Auto Trader type books, never saw it again after that.........

[​IMG]

4. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Ever since i sold my 49 Ford F1, i've been seeing parts cheap as hell for me to build another one just like it, and its killing me, a cab here, frame there, bed, suspention. Even a rebuilt 454 with a TH400 out of a old dump truck, everything is JUST like it was, and to build it wouldnt hurt my pocket too much either.
    However it wouldnt be the same, that was my FIRST classic, i had more fun with that truck at 18 then any kid should. just two years later and my life has already slowed down to the point im just fine with a cruiser Cadillac. I still cry when i see that damn picture i snapped of the truck in the new owners driveway, Hell, even getting it to his house was a hassel, wouldnt run with the old carb put back on, slid off the trailor trying to load it in the snow, door stuck shut when i got it on the trailor so i had to climb out the window, wouldnt start when we got to his house, almost slid off the trailor again because of ice, and when we got it in the driveway, the bars leak in the rad gave way and puked the antifreeze out. No other vehicle i've owned has been such a Sonofabitch, i still miss it.
    [​IMG]
    (Yes yes i know, red rims and primer, i was dumb back then and they were that way when i got it.)

5. aldixie

aldixie

I had a 62 Fairlane that I sold many years ago. Years later I joing a car club and we are talking about the favorite cars we use to own. Ends up one of the members bought the car 2 owners after me and the very next show we went to we saw the car.

6. Hart Rod

Hart Rod
    from Syracuse

Back in the 80's I sold my in process (It was down to needing paint) '66 Fastback Mustang to pay for my first year of college. OUCH i wish I didn't do that. Any way I sold it to a guy who ran the local Ford dealership's parts counter.

A few years later I saw the car at a local "cruise in". It was finished. I could tell it was mine from the angle iron frame repair under the front driver's side

So I over hear the kid telling everyone how it was a basket case when he got it and he did all the work. I couldn't help myself to tell him in front of all his buddies that I was the guy that did all the work and then sold it to his DADDY needing only paint. You should have seen the look on his face. I still wish I never sold that car.

7. brandon

brandon

though i do not regret selling it....it just seems to pop up everywhere. and my buddys keep telling me about seeing it in the magazine or whatnot:rolleyes::D was a fun daily driver from april til nov. about 3 owners after me , it got the bitchin leather interior , that i really wanted , but couldn't afford. last seen in scenic california...

one of the others....my old 48 anglia. fun car after getting the bugs worked out....the day before i sold it.:rolleyes: the same guy i sold it to still has it. and in bit of irony , the car is the color the owner before me wanted to paint it. the roller cam 402 bbc is gone , but a blown 427 is in there now. car finished up nicely , though i would change a few things to suit me , if i had it now.....:D

Attached Files:

8. Fenders

Fenders

Everyone seems to have built their cars themselves ... Best response to that would be "You and your brother did a nice job, a very nice job" .... and walk away....

9. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

No no no....

The ex you begged for years to get big boobs that said she never would...then goes and gets them after she leaves you.

-Jason

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I sold the 51 Merc that I had bought as a high school sophomore in 1963 in 1995 after years of saying that I wouldn't ever sell it. No big regrets as the new and now owner poured tons of money and work into it and it is probably nicer than I would have been able to get it. I see it once in a while at a show and don't care for the non-traditional look he has on it (painted bumpers and mag wheels and blackwalls but those are things that could be changed by a trip to the chrome shop and tire store.

I did save one piece back when I sold the car, the original rear bumper because it was too hard to get to in the shed it was stored in. That bumper is enjoying it's very shiny new chrome on the back of Pro Stock John's 51 Merc. That makes me smile every time I see an update on the car.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  11. Prostreet32

Prostreet32
    from Indy

Yep, in 1976' I sold my 67'GTO (with the original engine I blew up drag racing) to my then neighbor for $100.00.( he still has it 33 years later);
    In 1977' I "rolled" my 69' Camaro, the insurance company gave me $600.00 for it, the junk yard wanted $1000.00 to buy it back, the 468ci.big block with lots of high perfromance goodies in it was bought by my buddy who had the extra cash, at the time I didn't, soo I lost that one too.
    In 1980' I sold my 65' Dodge Coronette 500 for $700.00 ( which is what I had in it at the time) it was bought & sold numerous times, last year I appraised it for the guy that bought it, I checked the Vin.# against my "old-Car-List-of-the past" and sure enough,..it was my 'ol work-car restored to Concours status, and he had piles of trophies he'd won with it.
    13 years ago, I sold my 'ol work-horse 69' F150 for a fair price to finance my 67'Camaro Convt. purchase, it now resides 3-blocks away after 2-owners, a new paint job, new chrome bumpers, the guys wife brought it by to ask if my current 77' F150 was for sale, I said no, but asked where she got the cool-truck, I looked at the Vin. and Damn-it if it wasn't my ol'besty,..( which I checked the Old-past-vehicles-owned-list,..and there the Vin.# was)...
    My 1967 Camaro convt. left with the X-wife,..I miss that ol-car too, but revenge was mine because after I gave her everything she wanted in the divorce,..she filled bankruptsy several years later,..it was sold to a dude in southern indiana that owns 10 of them ( she got the equity from it,...and lost it,..LOL) but that ol car was alot of fun to drive around. I did a frame off resto on it years ago, showed it with 12 6-foot mirrors underneath her at the last World or Wheels show down town Indy at the ol Convention Center, the guy that bothered me to buy it, got it.
    The 64' Chevy Truck I drag raced at the 93"Indy Goodguys ( with a 406ci.small block)
    went to Larry Christman for help in welding my new frame and set-up in helping me with building from my blue prints my current Prostreet 32' Chevy roadster, pickup, custom, streetrod, "something or other",..but why did he do such a damned good job of restoring the ol' 64" pick-m-up,..it looks freakin awsome,..and he drives it everywhere, and uses it as his shops truck. ( a labor-for-trade I probably lost on)
    but at least I got my vision of the 32' up and running 'after-the-divorce'.
    I could go on and on,..I've had alot of cool rides, all of varing degrees of "Cool", and in every price range,..seems as I get older I get more attached to them.

12. Vorhese

Vorhese

I sold a 49 F1 to a young kid, and a month later I had a bunch of friends tell me they saw it covered it parking tickets sitting by the street. D'oh!

13. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I Had this f150 truck once that still haunts me :D

14. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

when scouring craigslist i always click on ads that are the year and model of a car i sold, i have come across 3 so far but there is one i keep looking for, i just want to see it one more time

15. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

You got off easy buddy,

When I lived in Santa Barbara, I had a 77 Caddy coupeD. It was my surf car, just threw racks on and used it back and forth to the beach. I ended up selling it when I moved to San Diego to a dude who lived in LA. He drove up to SB, payed cash, and picked up the car. Luckily I photocopied all the forms (title signed off by me, release of liability, etc). A year and 1/2 later, I get letters from a collections agency saying I owed $2000 in impound fees and it had been reported to my credit. 2 of my credit cards had their limits more than halved.

It took me another year of going back and forth with that collections agency and the DMV to get it off my record. Turns out that even though I sent in the release of liability when I sold it, the DMV either never received it or never entered it in their system, so it was still in my name. I was able to prove i hadn't owned the car for over a year, and had to threaten to sue the collection agency for harassment to finally get them off my case and restore my credit.

Learned the hard way - fill out the Release of Liability form on the DMV website, and print your copy to prove it. Make copies of ALL forms, you never know when it will come back to bite you! It sucks that in this country you have to work so hard to establish good credit, but it can all be ruined by someone making a mistake and YOU have to prove you're innocent. Bullshit.

16. JDW

JDW
    from Upstate NY

The one that haunted me was a gold '64 Grand Prix - I traded it for a '68 Torino GT. About 2 years after I was wandering a local junk yard for some treasures for the car I was building at the time and happened on a nice looking identical car - oops it was my old GP. The new owner had hit a tree dead center, shoving the engine/trans under the seat, leaving the front fenders bowed in, but easily repairable. The steering column had evidently speared the driver in the chest as he had been killed. The interior - not pretty!!

Then there was that '63 Ford 500XL w/406 - the next owner destroyed that car within months by dinging and denting each corner badly, then blowing the engine - and with the clunk 4bbl I put on it so I could keep the triple set up.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

most of the cars I've sold disappeared after I sold them.

sold my 69 GTO Judge for $900.00 in 1982. black primer and running a bit rough from 4 years of daily abuse. saw it 2 years ago at the Turlock Swap meet looking just about the same only no longer running. still had the Ram AirIII motor and 4 speed. he was asking $12,0000.00.

sold my 49 chevy sedan a few years back. just saw it in ebay. it had been painted blue and looked better than it did when i had it.

gotta wonder why someonne would remove a K&N air filter and replace it with a cheap paper one. they also took out the fitted radiator hose I spent an hour at the parts house trying to find and replaced it with a universal flex hose. must have brought it to a 'mechanic" to get it checked out and "tuned up". wonder what else stupid they did.

18. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Yeah 61 Pontiac,,still waiting on Harrisburg to get the damn title back to me,,and I'm getting grief cause the guy says I lied to him and there is no title..:mad:...even told him Harrisburg takes forever,,I hate the Commonwealth