Register now to get rid of these ads!

wiring issue please help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FiveDeuceFrank, Jul 21, 2009.

1. FiveDeuceFrank

FiveDeuceFrank
    from ATX

OK. So I have a wiring issue. I don't know if this is the right place to post this but here goes. I have a 52 Chevy deluxe The wiring in this car is all screwed up. I mean everything worked up until recent. I am not a mechanic but any means. I know a little about a lot but that's as far as it goes. I know what I want to do but it doesn't always work out that way. So here's the thing. I have a wiring issue as I said. There is fuse box in the car so I got a tech sheet and started installing signals I installed the tail lights from my 52 Pontiac as turn signals got that back end working. I ran them independent to the battery on their own fuse. I was then going to do the same thing in the front. I have a 53 grill with the lights. I was going to us the grill lights as signals but could not get them to work. The way they were when they was used as running lights they were just two bare wires coiled to touch the bulb both on negative and positive. I could not get it and after about a month I took to a guy I know to do and paid the guy to do it as well some other small things. well after four months and nothing being done to I went and pick it up and the whole thing is more of a mess now than it was when I took it over there. I did see one thing though none of the cars wiring was hooked into the fuse box and it is all black wiring. the only color difference is the wiring I started. Any I had the back lights all working now nothing works I just got laid off so I have no more money to get it to work and this is my daily. I need to get this fixed sooner than later. Can some one please direct me on the right path?

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Electrical can be such fun.
    I would suggest that if your stock harness is in such a mess and if there are so many un knowns, I would buy a "Painless wiring harness and box" There is a vendor on the HAMB that sells them and the directions will walk you thru its installation.
    With the wireing of a car i would not mess around with it as for reliability and safety..12 volts can start a fire that will burn your baby to the ground.

Or second step , or idea..get a wireing diagram for your car and systematically go thru the entire wireing of your ride and make sure all of it works and is grounded correctly, with the correct color wires. Having all the same color wires is a headache and a problem when it comes ot diagnosing problems.
    Good luck with this, I know you said you dont have much money..but a wireing harness is an investment in reliability..and the cars longevity..you sure wouldnt want to miss your next job interview because your ride left you stranded..or worse..burnt to the ground.

3. FiveDeuceFrank

FiveDeuceFrank
    from ATX

I actually thought about that. (The Painless harness and box.) As soon as I get a new jobby job it will be one of my first buys. Thanks for the input

4. budd

budd

you just need to find the right guy and your car will be wired in one day, i have a friend who know all the color codes and how everything works, i have never had him do anything for me but i have seen his work and you wouldn't know it from stock, keep looking for the right guy,

5. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Do you have a test light?? If not get one - if you can't wait then rig up a light bulb and use it to figure out what each wire does? If they are disconnected at BOTH ends - then label them and go from there. You might also want to take the time to sketch up a simple schematic - it can be helpful to see the circuits - especially if you isolate each one. Break it down into smaller jobs and it will be far less overwhelming.

6. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Take it to Lux at Crushproof at 5th & Tillery on the east side of Austin, he can sort you out.

7. oface

oface

If you need a wiring harness call the guys at Rebel Wiring. They make a great harness and its very afordable, and there very helpful on the phone if you need help.I put one in my 58 p/u works great.

8. Big Tony

Big Tony

Hotrod wires in Garland is really good also, good tech and got my for my 54 for under 200 bones... Good luck with the job hunting

9. FiveDeuceFrank

FiveDeuceFrank
    from ATX

I have not had internet access in a few days so Thanks for all of the replays. A friend of mine has a test light. He just finished mechanic school so he has that text book mentality and gets mad when I correct him and even madder when I am right. I am going to be looking in to all the things suggested above 200 bucks is a nice price. I also thought about taking to Crush proof. I have talked to him a lot but never have gotten any quotes on wiring. I suppose I will give him a call. As far as me doing it my self I like the idea of breaking it down into smaller jobs because looking at it is really over whelming.

10. oj

oj

Go with Rebel, HAMB friendly and good people. Painless is a pain in the ass, i have had the misfortune to have to deal with them more than once and they are arrogant pricks. Turnsignal wireing is more difficult than you may think and lens color (ie: front running lights) is a factor as well.