Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox Front Suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GRSMNKYCUSTOMS, Sep 18, 2005.

1. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

shoebox owners and builders, just looking for an overall consensus as to what method you guys prefer for the front of an airbagged shoebox?

stock with flipped spindles? mII ? other ?

just want to get some feedback from others who have been down this same road.

2. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

3. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

Stock. Its cheap, easy and there is minimal camber change.

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

cut a coil and swap the spindals side for side, rides fine

cut two coils and youll be bouncing the crossmember off the road

5. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

im not looking for ways to lower it. im looking for opinions on which is a better suspension setup period.

ive done a few where i just flipped the spindles and of course bent the tie rod to compensate, and all of these were cars we bagged.

im getting ready to do another one, and just wanted to see if anyone likes it a different way. trying to learn and be open to new ideas.

this car WILL BE BAGGED so keep that in mind

6. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

My 'box is not bagged.I did swap,and flip the spindles,and cut one coil loop off. It lowered the front about 4 1/2". The tires(205-75-15) rub on a tight turn,and toes in with chassis rise. I think it is the max I can go. If I were to do it over again,with bags,I would use new,dropped spindles,and Jamco drop springs.The correct dropped steering arms,would keep toe in/bump steer to a minimum also. Sparky:D

Attached Files:

7. LUKESTER

LUKESTER

My 50 is bagged with the stock front end and dropped spindles, the dropped spindles are coming back out, as the front end is too low. The car will be able to drive with a lower stance without dropped spindles, because the front crossmember will be higher off the ground. The stock front end works great, and will still sit the crossmember on the ground... Mount the bags as far out towards the wheels on the control arms for the best possible leverage to lift the front up. LUKESTER

8. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

LUKESTER. Leverage works the opposite way. Move the bags inward to get more lift.

9. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Chris50 used the stock front clip with Fat Man stuff. He tried the Air Ride kit, but it didn't work for him, so he used the Shockwaves and modified the control arms. It works pretty slick and sets the car down pretty low.

10. jaybee

jaybee

Lukester has it right. Try putting a shovel on the garage floor with some sort of weight on the business end. Stand on the end of the handle or otherwise wedge it so it can't move. Pick it up near the spade end. Now pick it up near the far end, where it's wedged. You'll see it's much heavier because much of your effort is being transferred into the pivot end (handle end) than the shovel end.

11. Chris 50

Chris 50

Actually, for the front of that car there is no kit. First time around we used conventional bags up there, but then realized that anywhere I relocated the shocks, they would interfere with my turning radius. So I pulled it back apart and fabbed plates with lower shock mounts in them. Then they were welded to the bottom of the lower control arms and Shockwaves were used.

12. You guys are both technically correct. If LUKESTER mounts the bags toward the wheel (outward), the bag will lift the car easier, but not give as much lift.

If slowpoke mounts the bags inward, the bag will lift the car higher....

13. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

im surprised how many use the shockwaves. i loved them at first but realized that they suck if your going super low. cuz it bottoms itself out unless you extend the mount then you lose on the other end

14. Chris 50

Chris 50

When I air mine out, the frame rests on the control arms which no longer have bump stops or bump stop mounts. The front crossmember is about 1/2" off the ground and that is with 6.70 15s up front.

15. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

mine has fatman uprights and steering arms, made up my own bag mounts its way low...crossmember is less than 1/2" off the ground..Too low, but it looks cool...

Attached Files:

16. toledobill

toledobill

You started with the assumption that it's already bagged. If you haven't bagged it yet and you want to go that low without a weird-handling ride, look to Scot's "Super-Slam".
    If you just want a low-and-easy Shoebox, consider the Fatman's dropped spindles and a set of lowering blocks for the A-arms. Between the two you'll have about a five-inch drop without seriously affecting the ride or the handling -- a couple of grand cheaper and less shop-time.

17. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

Toledobill...Are you talking about Scotts hot rod? If so i wouldnt really recomend them.

18. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

who is toledobill talking to?

19. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

I just re-read this. What are you looking to get out of the suspension? Ride quality? Handling?

20. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

im just looking for other opinions on which way is the best. like i said i usually switch them from one side to the other. but thought maybe there was a better way and maybe i was doing it the cheesey way. its not really a matter of price, im about to do it on one for myself, (not just what the customer wants) and thought id ask around

i am baggin the car and do want it to lay frame

21. RoadBurner1

RoadBurner1
    from Nebraska

If your not concerned about price you could do what I did. It may not be the best way but it was any easy install and it works perfect. My car was a shell when I started and I either needed to rebuild everything on the front end or go with the Jamco option or mustang. The price difference between Jamco and mustang was a wash. I used a Street Rod Engineering mustang sub frame and thier hub to hub kit. I had the old frame cut off and the new sub installed in one afternoon. All the bumper brackets and rad support area was right on.
    I used stock springs and dropped spindles. It sits really low that way and is still driveable. If you put bags on you can get your frame to the pavement. I was going to do that but I am not sold on the whole air bag thing. I set it where I wanted it and made everything work around that. As Forest would say, "Thats all I have to say about that"

Attached Files:

22. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I can tell you, he is right. It does work good . It must be pretty easy to install, started with a stock shell and something like seven weeks later...... smokin the tires on a chopped and dropped shoebox. How cool is that?

jeff

23. 59FORD

59FORD

Mustang II, Bagged,

Attached Files:

24. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

I dont think anyone can really tell you which one is best, they can only give you their opinion. With that being said....Id use the stock suspension because thats what i like, I drive mine everyday, everywhere and have no problems. It drives straight, smooth and stops just fine. It is very easy to get the car to lay frame using the stock front end with drop spindles so dont be discouraged that way.

25. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

p.s. Speedwaymotors.com makes a tie rod end extension/drop,for '48-'64 ford f-100's,it works for a shoebox ford also,it drops the outer tie rod end 2 1/8" keeping the ends parralel to keep the bumpsteer managable. (for those of us who didn't heat and bend the stock steering arms,when 'flipping' the spindles") Sparky