Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone ever GTO a 64-65 el camino??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaggy, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Looking at the shell of a 65 camino that i think i'm gunna have to end up stripping for my 64 and thinking of evil thoughts....

2. Squablow

Squablow

I've seen it done already, I think the key is to graft on Pontiac quarters so the wheelwell openings match. I've seen this done with the 70-72 style GTO and the rear quarters always kill it for me if they don't match.

I think it'd be neat to do with a rusty LeMans parts car, but I'd personally see it as a waste of a real GTO.

3. You want to put a PONCHO snout on a 64/5 El Camino?

it been done and redone. If you like the look then that's a good thing. I personally think that the 59/60 with a poncho snout on it looks real smooth.

4. Why not? You can get enough repop stuff to not need many real GTO parts. But change the rear wheel arches, as noted.

5. shemp

shemp
    Alliance Vendor

I built a '65 GTO sedan delivery out of a '64 Chevelle 2 door wagon in the early '80s. Haven't seen it since it was sold in '85

6. MilesM

MilesM

I have seen one done also and it looked pretty good.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Just thinking, now pontiac longroof quarters are different right?? I know bodylines wont match up fender to door, but then again i'm gunna have to strip this '65 el camino pretty bad for the parts i need for my '64

8. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Ya mean like this?

Attached Files:

9. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Yep 'zactly

10. Anderson

Anderson

Looks like they kept the El Camino quarter panels on that one.

11. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

How about this?

[​IMG]

12. lownslow

lownslow

wow that looks bad ass

13. There was a gold one that had been done here in Indy back around 1970.

I have always wanted to one for a daily driver.

PM me if you know where there might be a '65 LeMans doghouse available.

14. Tony

Tony

I gotta agree with that fully!
    I've personally never even thought about this swap, and never even put two and two together on it even being possible..
    After looking at that red one, man....what a slick swap it is!!

15. mac762

mac762

That red one is bad ass. If you want to see some more weird El Caminos go over to Team Chevelle and look at "El Camino Mutation's". The have 442's, GS Caminos, ect...The best looking one was a OT 70 or something Monte Carlo.

I'd give a link but I can't from here at work. :)

16. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

boy, somebody really spent some time on that red one, that looks like it came out of the factory that way. very nice!

17. cornernfool

cornernfool

I saw a red one like this at Good Guys in Costa Mesa last year. He swore up and down that it was factory built. Had a big sign board with it detailing the specs and all the bullshit. I was very skeptical, but he was sticking to his story. It was very nice looking.

18. Squablow

Squablow

Looks like they used GTO 2 door post doors with El Camino glass and door tops added on both of the pictured examples. The red one pulls it off a lot better with the Pontiac quarter panels.

The red one is very nice, but if he really wanted people to believe that it was a factory deal, the square head mirror, Rally II wheels and painted (missing?) headlight bezels kill it.

19. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Oh my...that's hideous.....the front just doesn't "flow" with an Elky ass end.....

20. brandon

brandon

just saw one last saturday at the paint store...they must have used a 4dr , because the doors were real short. the bed area appeared to be later g body style elcamino.....gave em a A for effort...:D

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've been helping a friend with a '65 GTO, were the quater panels straight when they left the factory?

22. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Back in the eary to mid '80s, there was always an orange '64 El GTO at Carlisle.

23. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Back when I had alot of GTO's I wanted to do one. never could come up with the tempest wagon for parts.

24. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

If you want to see a work of art google texas442 and look at the O/T 70. Built from a GMC sprint.

25. If my memory serves me (and it often mis-serves me:rolleyes:) Rod & Custom had a Le Mans or GTO Camino made from a wagon-it had a back seat and a short bed. 'Twas back in the '60s.