Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Denise & Big Olds do the Good-Guys Columbus Event

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodladycrusr, Jul 22, 2009.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I left for the GG Columbus event right from work on Friday and headed down the highway. It’s a really nice 3 ½ hour ride and at early evening the ride was just perfect.
    [​IMG]

I only saw one other car heading there the whole way
    [​IMG]

When I arrived in town I went straight to the Pig Iron as I knew my Indy pals would be there having dinner.
    [​IMG]

Low and behold Spoons and Peggy were there as well and shortly after I arrived Chris 50 and Cadillac Bob showed up to joined us
    [​IMG]

Wonderful BBQ! Chris even had dessert
    [​IMG]

Afterwards we hung out in the parking lot for abit
    [​IMG]

and checked out Peggy’s new truck. Congrats are in order as her truck got selected for a Rod & Custom feature and was shot on Saturday evening.
    [​IMG]

Nice to see Lindross’s Valient on the road after its winter makeover.
    [​IMG]

I did alittle cruzn around on the way to the hotel. Dad had already been there for two days so I just hauled my stuff up to the room and called it a night knowing I was going to be up and out early the next morning.

Saturday morning dawned bright and beautiful. I was at the fairground alittle after 7am and breezed right in. Cadillac AL was not at the front gate therefore I did not get my usual bow from him. :( Bummed I missed it. I stopped the dude dressed like a fairy:eek: and was told AL was out near the back entrance.

I drove over to where my Dad and his buds were parked and luckly there was still plenty of room on the grass and trees behind them. After driving around the whole area and not finding a way into the center of the grass area (needs a GG fix ) I called my Dad and asked him to come move one of the cars so I could pull in behind him. Before he got there a guy I was talking to offered to move the chairs under his canopy and I was then able to just drive under this canopy and copped a very nice grassy, shady spot. I was a happy camper.

Once settled in I took a walk with my Dad to check out some cars. Of course Oldsmobiles catch our attention.
    [​IMG]

This was parked right near us
    [​IMG]

This wagon was very cool, and very rare from what the sign said
    [​IMG]

I think he took the Chopped & Dropped award
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

We then went inside to check out the vendors. Ran into one of the TRJ gals and she remembered coming to my house for the HAMB Mingle last March.
    [​IMG]

And of course John. Looks like you kept yourself busy. Saw lots of customers around your booth all weekend, congrats bud.
    [​IMG]

Then headed back to the cars for a quick rest and a cup of coffee for Dad. While there Dale AKA theWildTurkey46, or better known as my California Chauffeur:D, stopped by for a chat. ALWAYS nice seeing ya bud!
    [​IMG]

We then decided to take a walk and check out the old “Pro’s Pick” area which is now called “Builder’s Choice”.

I wasn’t there on Friday to witness the autocross but Dad said the driver of this Corvette that was up for Street Machine of the Year put the car thru its paces on the track driving it like he stole it! Did the road course in the low 30’s (seconds). In case you haven’t read it on the other blogs, this Vette was the one choosen for SMY by the GG’s organization.
    [​IMG]

While the majority of the cars aren’t this boards focus the attention to detail, fit and finish has to be admired. LOTS of unique touched here and there.
    [​IMG]

Royce’s roadster is always one of my favorites to view.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Especially love his Olds gauges :D
    [​IMG]

Won’t bother showing the whole car, well just because, but the trunk was something
    [​IMG]

Of course we’ve all by now seen lots of photos of this but another one won’t hurt
    [​IMG]

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

A definant crowd pleaser. He took 2 picks I just can’t remember what they were.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I LOVE this steering Wheel....can someone tell me where or what it came off of?
    [​IMG]

You guys know how much I love convertibles
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was stunning. Too bad it was so cloudy cuz I would imagine this paint woulda just popped.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neat little touch and exactly what Earl Schieb had in mind for Big Olds when he was trying to “beak” the top of his fenders.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

About this time Megan called from her hotel informing me that it was raining hard where she was and that they were warning of hail. I thought I might take off for hard cover but my Dad said that I was being silly and to just put the top up and batten down the hatches. A few minutes later the skies opened up and the rain came down in buckets. We then took our chairs and headed for a spot under the gazebo.

We sat under there chatting for awhile when HAMB member Maria from Finland called. Her and her husband Tero were on the grounds. They then joined us for abit under the shelter. It was wonderful meeting you sweetie. I'm thrilled you and Tero decided to come visit Michigan after Columbus and we got a chance to hang out and get to know each other better. I'm looking forward to hanging out with you again here in the States and visiting you as well in Finland.

Around 11:45am we decided to head over to the HAMB Meet & Greet area and were warmly greated by 2$Bill who had made a wooden HAMB banner. Boy was it cool! Wonderful meeting you sweetie and thanks so much for the HAMB sign.
    [​IMG]

We mingled around for quite a while then Vance showed up with extremly yummy cookies that his lovely wife had just made that morning. Vance, please amke sure you thank her again from all of us. I took one to Dad and while he was grateful for the one he kinda looked at me when I handed it to him like, what, only one?? :D

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/MotorCityHotRodder/2009%20Events/GG%20Columbus/Saturday/051.jpg

We then took a Hokey Ass Group Shot. These folks are the hard core of the hard core and weren't gonna let alittle (Ok alot) of rain dampen their day.:cool:
    [​IMG]

About 1pm we all parted ways with plans for some of us to catch up again at dinner. I then caught back up with my Dad and him and I headed to the indoor vendors again where we ran into Julia AKA Asch and her husband John from Ladies in Autosports online mag fame, BOB AKA RedlineToys and Scott from Dynamat.
    [​IMG]

After visiting awhile with everyone Dad and I went over to Advanced Plating’s booth were Tom greeted us warmly. I dropped off my pot metal visor brackets for repair and chroming. Got quoted a GREAT price for all the repairs needing to be done and perfect chroming on the four pieces. Little by little everything on Big Olds will get done.
    [​IMG]

We then decided since we had umbrellas to walk around outside and check out some of the cars……
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and kinda headed in the direction of the covered pavilions. For those that have never been to the fairgrounds there are three extremely large covered pavilions that hold approx 100 car each underneath them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shortly after arriving this guy walks up and re-introduces himself to me. A long lost pal from the early, friendlier, SRS days. He’s Ago on the HAMB now. Nice seeing you again bud and having the opportunity to hang out.
    [​IMG]

Continued looking at cars and chatting with peeps
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ran into our buddy from home, Buffelo Bob, who then decided to walk around with Dad and I.
    [​IMG]

LOVED this Caddy! I was checking it out closely when this guy walks up to me and we start chatting. I introduced myself and he did the same, it was the Caddy’s owner. At some point in the conversation I asked him where he was from and he said Toms River, NJ! A place where my family lived for a short time in the 70’s while my Dad was stationed at Lakehurst. Small world. I told Jim (the Caddy owner) what I drove and what color it was. We chatted for a long time just like old pals. At some point during the day he found his way to Big Olds to check out cuz he left his card in Big Olds. Nice guy and I’m thrilled I made another friend for life.
    [​IMG]

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Bid our farewells to my new friend and proceeded to check out more rides….

HAMB member Mary Dudek sitting in the passenger seat of her roadster
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it wasn’t long before I ran into another HAMB person, Jim AKA The Hot Rod Grille and his lovely wife and their cool '34 5 window. GREAT seeing you again sweetie and having the opportunity to meet your wife. I enjoyed our chat and look forward to seeing you both again soon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to pop outside in the rain to jump from one pavilion to another. Took a few photos on the way
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’ve been thinking about picking up something like this so I can haul my go-cart and mini-bike to events.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ran into an old pal from back home. Funny, he didn’t spot me as he passed and I grabbed his butt which shot him so far in the air….super funny!
    [​IMG]

Under the next pavilion…
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this car is extremely slick for a 4 door and with a slight change of wheels……
    [​IMG]

Mark AKA 1940vert’s convertible. GREAT seeing you and your lovely wife again sweetie. I really enjoyed our chat in the grass on Sunday. I’ll see you in Spokane next month!
    [​IMG]

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I was really digging on these two wagons but this was as close as I could get without getting really wet cuz the wind was really blowing hard.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see where my camera lens got wet from the blowing rain in the next few photos
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By this time it was about 4:30 and we decided to call it a day, head back to the cars and back to the hotel. Next to where Big Olds was parked was this HAMB guy under his tent with his pals. Just so happened it was his pal who earlier in the day moved his chairs out from under his canopy so I could drive Big Olds under it and park behind my pals from back home. I stopped under the tent to once again thank the guy for letting me pull in and this guy introduces himself. I can’t remember his HAMB name:eek: but I think it had green in it. Anyway, it was nice meeting you and chatting. Let’s keep our fingers crossed for better Saturday weather next year where we can chat outside for longer without getting wet.
    [​IMG]

I’m normally not a napper but since I had gotten up so early this morning I decided to lay my head on the pillow and take one before the evening’s festivities. Once up, I took a shower and Dad and I head out to meet up with everyone at the Pig Iron BBQ place. Of course drinks at the bar first are in order
    Bubba and Lindross
    [​IMG]

I copped a stool between these two handsome boys and tried to get a shot of the others at the other end of the bar….no luck and after I looked at this photo I was laughing so hard I forgot to try to take another one.:D
    [​IMG]

Bubba and Lindross had all the arrangements made with the restaurant people and we had a whole large section all to ourselves sitting in groups of tables but all in the same area.

We weren’t sure if they were going to let Squigy in at first. The reason he’s so dirty and greasy is he helped Brian AKA BlkTopBadit rebuild his starter at the fairgrounds! Three cheers for Squigy for helping a pal out like that!
    [​IMG]

I put my Dad at Budda and Scott’s table cuz I wanted Dad to get to know them. Bob AKA RedlinesToys, Bubba and my Dad on the right and RedlineToys' friend Jay, Scott AKA Lindross and someone I didn't get the chance to meet on the left.
    [​IMG]

Maria and Tero on the left and a couple of guys from PA on the right. I forgot their names.
    [​IMG]

Megan and Matt on the left and Nicky and her new husband on the right
    [​IMG]

Spoons on the left and Peggy and their buddy on the right
    [​IMG]

Squigy and WhiteWallSlicks on the left and BlkTopBandit, his cutie pie daughter and Cindy(?) on the right. Nice seeing all you boys again.
    [​IMG]

Budda’s Hot Rods new clothing designer and manufacturer Scott “presenting” us with our new swag!:D
    [​IMG]

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Megan chatting with Julia and John and their daughter and grandson.
    [​IMG]

And finally a photo of our waitress for the last couple of nights and Scott and Bubba’s waitress for the last few YEARS! Lol
    [​IMG]

I made plans with Maria and Tero to head back to the hotel with Dad, pick up Big Olds, then head over to their hotel and pick them up. Thankfully it had stopped raining. On the way I took a shot of the DJ that is on the lawn of the Bob Evans restaurant spinning tunes for the cruisers and spectators at one of the major cruzn intersections.
    [​IMG]

Took a lap thru the hotel parking lot and saw pals from back home in their usual spots
    [​IMG]

Once I got Big Olds, dropped the top, and picked up Maria and her husband, we headed back over to the host hotel. Ran into Megan, Matt and their posse hanging out.
    [​IMG]

Maria, Me and Megan
    [​IMG]

Ran into Steve Tracey from Advanced Plating fame, chatted him up then he called Jesse and the rest of his posse and we all ended up drinking these mixed drinks called Gatorade. Extremely yummy. Hung out, caught up with what everyone was up to, who was building or built what then called it a night. Great time just hanging out and bullshitting with pals. Doesn’t get any better than that.
    [​IMG]

Sunday morning Dad took off early to head home with his pals that he came with. I have no clue why a group of retired car guys want to leave a car event that’s only 3 ½ hours from home at 7am on a Sunday morning. I mean it’s not like they have to relax cuz of work on Monday or anything. I mean rushing home to what…sit in front of the TV all day?? I vented to my Mother about this and she deosn’t understand it either.

Anyway I got up, had breakie and was at the fairgrounds around 9am. It was a beautiful, sunny, blue skied, perfect temperature day. I parked in just about the exact same spot I parked in last year on Sunday and pretty close to where I parked yesterday. I called Megan to find out where her and Matt were but they were still at the hotel.

I took a walk and started checking out cars. What an awesome day, sunny, not to hot, just perfect for a car event....did I mention it was a beautiful day??:D
    [​IMG]

FMS427's Crosley, wonderful seeing both you and your lovely wife again bud.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There really was ALOT of nice customs there
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ex-HAMB member Starliner's bucket
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Suburban I liked so much yesterday in the sunshine. I like it even more today
    [​IMG]

Glad to see some of the "Builders Choice" winners are just normal folks and like to sleep in and not arrive at the crack of dawn.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I LOVE this Olds.....but I would dropped it off for Fat Lucky to redo the interior, the rest of it rocks!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

This little roadster really floats my boat.:cool:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to give this one another look over today, just perfect.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LOTS of green cars out this year
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I headed back to Big Olds to relax and rest my feet for abit. Shortly thereafter HAMB memeber Will Kimble stopped by and introduced himself to me. Wonderful meeting you in person bud and having the opportunity to chat.
    [​IMG]

HAMB member Floored also stopped and introduced himself. There is something to be said about hanging out under a tree and shooting the shit with pals at a car show.
    It was great chatting with you and getting to know you. Thanks so much for answering all my questions regarding hardwood floors. Hopefully it wasn't too boring for you talking shop.
    I'm really looking forward to working with you this winter.

I then decided to take another walk and ran into HAMB memeber__________.
    Great seeing you again sweetie. I enjoyed hanging out with you.
    [​IMG]

I then went over to chat with the Optima guys about my battery issue.
    Whole anothe story that I won't get into details here but in a nutshell my brand new Optima battery is garbarge, the head marketing guy Jimmy Day lied right to my face regarding my charging system etc. A new, non-gell battery now resides in Big Olds no thanks to the Optima Battery people at the event.

Shortly after I pulled away from the Optima booth I ran into my very good HAMB pal, Gail, AKA LURKER trinket1392. AWESOME seeing you again sweetie! I really enjoy seeing and hanging out with you and your posse and I'm truely looking forward to seeing you guys, including Ken, at the HAMB Drags next month.;)
    [​IMG]

Cruised Big Olds around for bit then parked him back in the same area and headed off on foot again to check out some more cars. ran into BooBoo and his family cruzn around. GREAT seeing you again sweetie. I really apprecaite you letting us HAMB folks take over your area under the overhang for our little Meet & Greet.

[​IMG]

Got a chance to check out Floored's bucket
    [​IMG]

Caught Julia shooting cars for LIA
    [​IMG]

Next thing I know my good buddy TimB is walking up. WONDERFUL seeing you again bud and talking "shop" with both you and Julia.
    [​IMG]

Julia's got a great photo of the three of us. Hopefully she'll add it to the thread.

Checked out a few more cars while walking back to the shade and Big Olds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was too nice of a day to sit inside watching the awards but I did hang out and watch quite a few exit
    [​IMG]

John, Arcochicken's cool van

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You know how I like my fat fender drop tops
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a really nice opportunity to sit around with Skipstitches Mom Judy for quite awhile. She LOVED not only Big Olds' new interior but went crazy over my matching Trophy Queen purse. So much so that she was carrying around showing all her friends then dragging them over to check out Big Olds.:D

LOVE her and her whole family, very special people. Wish we all lived in the same town.
    [​IMG]

Judy's ride
    [​IMG]

The infamous, shy, Skipstitch himself. Wonderful seeing you again sweetie. Congrats on the new baby, both kids are adorable. It will be fun to watch them all grow up throughout the years at the future Columbus events.
    [​IMG]

Gotta keep your eyes open, ya never know what you might see.
    [​IMG]

Acrochicken cruzn around
    [​IMG]

He stopped to say "hi" and bye". Bummer we didn't get a chance to hang out longer. See ya at the HAMB Drags bud.
    [​IMG]

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

KIRK! also stopped to say "hi" & "bye". Kirk's always trying not to smile in the photos and I'm always trying to get him to smile. At least this time he's not staring up into space like he's done in the past.:rolleyes: Congrats again sweetie on TRJ cover! Truely AWESOME!
    [​IMG]

Rick, AKA Wizzo's Chevy
    [​IMG]

This is what Sunday is all about for me, hanging out with pals, catching up, and watching all the cars pull out over a couple hour period of time. It's starting to be our MO for Columbus.... me, Rick and Greg sitting on this same bench, our cars nearby, friends stoping and saying so-long. Made for a real nice end to the GREAT day, the great weekend.
    [​IMG]

Left the fairground at 5:30pm, trust me when I tell you me and Big Olds, and Rick & Gary in Rick's Chevy, were the last two cars to pull out of the fairgrounds. Headed back to Michigan, stopped at Danimal's to dropped off his trans which was a HAMB relay from Vance and got home intime to hit the sack. Despite the rainy Saturday, it was a great weekend.
    [​IMG]

13. Thanks for the pictures.
    Very classy 50 Olds convert. That was a hot set up in it's day. Missed Columbus, but I am going to Louisville.

14. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

great pics of the rain.:D

15. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx Denise...I'm assuming all the numbers are place holders for the next set of pix...

R-

16. Deu55

Deu55

hey thanx for the pixs,looks like ya had a great time even with the rain..

17. Great shots Denise, look forward to the others still to come. This will be another marathon thread, right? I took my car on a nice road trip this past week end for a car show with the Omaha Road Burners. Larry (Sololobo) set me up in a cool jiont where I could show my artwork and sell some prints. A good time was had by all.

I came across a '40 Ford coupe on the way down that looked a lot like the black one
    with the maroon wheels you snapped there. Beautiful cars, them. Later Ma!

18. I was typing while you were posting. Now I'm drooling...

19. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i always look forward to your posts , awesome write up and pictures looks like you had a blast !

20. Green49Ford

Green49Ford

21. Great photos and storys to match,,thank you for taking us with you via all the wonderful photography. :) HRP

22. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

nice shots!!! Love those Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs

23. jlow

jlow
    BANNED

great pictures ....looked like fun..

24. Next year. For sure.

25. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

Great pics thanks,

26. Scott K

Scott K

D.
    Great coverage (as usual).......I know, I know, you don't have to say it.

Good thing I didn't go, I woulda traded the F-100 for that Vette:eek:.

Your dad's getting to be a pretty good picture bitch:D

Scott.

27. Young1

Young1

I didn't get a chance to stop by and introduce myself, but I saw you cruising around!

Attached Files:

28. monsterflake

monsterflake

maybe the optima guys could kick a few puppies or sucker punch a toddler for their next big public relations move! i can guarantee they won't be getting my business. good move guys...

(sorry denise, i did a little bit of editing... :) )

29. 5window

5window

Thanks,Denise. Makes me wish I was there. Funny looking crowd in the photos :))) but the cars looked great.

30. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I did ALOT of cruzn on Sunday but I always have time to stop and chat when someone flags me down. Wish you would have. Next time for sure.