Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barris Roadsters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by turbodickie, Jul 7, 2009.

1. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Dick...:p

I love that red roadster but what is up with the one with the moulded in windshield... THAT one kicks ass... Any other pics of that car?:D

2. Well said, showing respect is a forgotten talent! I still, often think of a comment on here, that accompanied coverage from Paso one year. The person who made a comment about overcrowding at the event, and "who the hell allowed that old man, with the ugly truck with the carved wood bumper into the event"! They obviously had no idea, of the impact that "old man",has had on the world of hot rods! Yes, it was Norm Grabowski!:eek:Thanks Bass.

3. RAY With

RAY With

The real amazing thing I have read here is all the actual history of the Roadster and it still in a guys garage to this day, I guess one would have to say its a real survivor. It appears to be close to the same build with a chev motor and paint change all of which could be redone to original if desired. I believe if I owned it I would go with the Flatty power because it seems to fit better with the design of the roadster. In any event I really enjoyed reading about it and thanks for the posting.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sorry if it came across that way, but you have to be honest, it dosent have a Barris trademark look to it.

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Yes, thats a Barris car and was a cover car for Popular Hot Rodding in the early 60's.
    It was later owned by Bob Darrah, the President at that time of the Early Times Car Club in SoCal.
    It's one of about 12 cars we drove to Oregon for a three day car show in 1967, when I was in high school.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If I remember correctly, it had an Olds, '39 box and a banjo
    I had to sleep over night in that car on one really cold night in Redding, CA., but when your 17 and in a deuce,, I could care barely...:)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Hey, thanks, although I have met Richard, I didn't know that. He became a member of the "Vintage Tin" after I moved on. The club was founded in 1969 by Pete Chapouris, Leroy Smith, Pete Eastwood, Eric Vaughn, Bon Hines and me...

[​IMG]

7. froghawk

froghawk

What a great car! Underneath the sparkle and red and white color, it's got some pretty subtle touches; It's channeled but the rear fenders look like they're cut and maybe rotated somehow to fit in the original arch. With the chop and low profile top the proportions are just about perfect. Look like it rolled outa the shop on the same day as the Ala Kart!

8. Brandi

Brandi

I totally agree with this.

9. turbodickie

turbodickie

Thanks for all the comebacks. I will post a picture of this car if I can figure out how. It has early Ford wire wheels,originally had flathead engine, now has 283 Chevrolet, 39 gearbox. Is black with white top. Was around Northern California for awhile and went to Bremerton,Washington, eventually ending up in Northern Virginia where it still is. I think it was built around 1951 or 1952. Has an early Barris crest on the cowl. Has been certified and signed by George Barris. In street rodder mag Dec 1973 I think.

10. What about the famous twister T it won the grand national when it was in Oakland where it belongs

Attached Files:

11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

turbodickie...if you're Dick Burke, I bought those nos 3w door handles from you a few years back. They're now on Deuce Roadster's coupe.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. turbodickie

turbodickie

That's me. I have other 3W stuff. Will be in Louisville.

13. autobilly

autobilly

Very cool pic Rikster.

IMO if you don't respect Hot Rodding's pioneers, you're on the wrong board!

14. Salt 2009

Salt 2009

Dickie:

Think this is what you were fishing for.... look forward to seeing you in two weeks.

Dallas

Attached Files:

15. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Yes they are ... on my 3W :)
    A GIFT from 3wLarry :D
    Thanks again ... Larry

Here is Dickie Burkes 1932 3W ... a well known coupe here in the Southland.
    I tried to BUY it ... before I got mine. I could not buy it so I built my own version of it.

[​IMG]

Dickie ... see you in Louisvulle ... but I will not be driving the roadster. I will be in this :eek:

[​IMG]

This is what I would have done to the Burke coupe if I had beed able to buy it. Fill the grille shell, drop the headlights, do away with the cowl lights and install a 25 vent hood. And RED rims :cool:

16. If it wasn't for Sam and George Barris, the 49-51 Mercury wouldn't be the king of customs that it is. These men brought vision and class to an industry that was viewed with disdain by a certain segment of the population. People with means went to these men to have their vehicles customized. It was through these people (movie stars, musicians, etc) that rods and customs gained acceptability and legitimacy. We wouldn't be where we are today without the groundbreaking work of these pioneers. Sometimes I feel we need to go back to our automotive roots to appreciate how this industry/hobby started and developed. These pioneers should be revered.

17. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

:):):)

18. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

I just have to say- until I started working on my A all i knew were names or early rodders. I love being here and learing more about all these pioneers of modding cars.