Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A guys, am I missing something?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modelacitizen, Jul 21, 2009.

1. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I started assembling the windshield components in my 30 coupe. Is there another piece of metal that I need to go between the dash rail and trim on top of the gas tank? In the pics you'll see the recessed area with the rectangular holes behind the windshield. Does something go over that area, or was it for ventilation?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 46Chief

46Chief

Mine looks the same, when the inside dash rail is on, the gap closes up some, but not by that much

3. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

So the guy at Bratton's wasn't just teasing me when he said it was for air conditioning? LOL

4. ltex old iron

ltex old iron
    BANNED

i had one that looked the same and the dash rail closed it up some for me too but a buddy had a 30 coupe and found a piece that fit in there at a swapmeet and it filled in the gap..his was the only one of those pieces i have seen though

5. yep
    and its an awesome way for bee's to hit you in the crotch
    tk

6. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Interesting. So I guess I'll just leave it that way??

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

the 28's have the slotted vent plate just under the flange of the windshield frame so when you close the windshield it seals off that area..looks like this, without the windshield frame in place..or closed..I dont know about your year..but it looks like your missing the top of your cowel vent frame for the lower part of your windshield to close onto.
    note: what your seeing is flush with the top..not down into the dash area as shown in your pictures
    [​IMG]

Maybe the 30's are different?..looks un finished

8. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

...'30-'31's need this filler piece...

Attached Files:

9. fourbangerford

fourbangerford
    from east Tn

I think it is made that way so when you drive down the road with the windsheild pushed out the wind is directed through those holes and hits your legs. It is that way on my '28. On a hot summer day it is very refreshing, 20's air conditioning. haha :)

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

front on shot
    [​IMG]
    ahh i see it now..30's use what MrGasser is showing

11. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

What Mr. Gasser said -- and showed. Without that little piece, things just aren't gonna fit right.

12. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

Just a quick follow-up: I haven't checked with Bratton's, C.W. Moss, or the other reputable vendors of Model A parts. But I did find what you're looking for at Mac's.
    It's referred to there as "Windshield Filler Trim", Part # A410001020 and it goes for ............. are you sitting down?? ........... $215.00 plus shipping. Yikes! Sure glad one came attached to my coupe!

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

14. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Thanks for the info but I'm pretty certain I have that piece. Look at the red circles in this pic. You can see the bottom corners of that trim piece.
    [​IMG]
    So was there another piece that goes behind it or is that it? That patent info is pretty cool but I think it's for a 28-29. I gather the 30-31 was a little different.

15. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

This piece, it closes the gap (30-31 shown here).
    [​IMG]

16. alchemy

alchemy

You seem to have the filler trim, but your windshield frame seems to be missing it's rear flange. They are supposed to have a tin fin that sticks out of the bottom and points rearward, fitting under the dash rail but above the body parts. I guess to direct air to the underside if the windshield is propped open just a little.

17. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

After doing a bit more research, I'm pretty sure this is my issue. I guess no one makes that rear flange huh? Could I just weld a thin strip of sheet metal to the windshield to duplicate it? Is it even necessary? I'm not sure the stock dash rail would do me any good. I'm putting an early 30's Chevy dash in the car. Thanks for everyone's help!

18. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

They're right. With the screen slightly open the air is directed down from behind the dash rail. Real early air con.

19. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Yeah when he said that he was like, 'HOT AIR conditioning!!!' :D

20. Killer

Killer

you need this bit:

[​IMG]

I dunno what it called, looks like it would be easy enough to make???

21. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

^Yup. That's what I need. Thanks!

22. Killer

Killer

if you need any measurements, let me know!

23. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Man that would be cool! What's the depth of the flange? When the windshield is closed does that flange contact the top of the dash rail? I really appreciate it!

24. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Got the post while I was taking pictures, but here are mine.

Pretty simple flange with a bit of rubber weatherstrip between. Not sure how it attaches. Never had it apart.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. looks to me that that the 2" or so piece of flat metal that is on the lower part of the windshield (side to side) is missing. you will have to make it because no one makes it. its part of the windshield frame

26. 20 overland

20 overland

there Is a peace that goes in there but it had a real problum with rusting out on the cars I have only found intact ones on the 30 and 31 pick-ups .

27. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Heres a pic if you can see the part.

Attached Files:

28. Killer

Killer

its about and inch and 3/16. and it goes under the dash rail.

29. alchemy

alchemy

I think '32 pickups used the same windshield frame, without the rear fin? Maybe you have a '32 truck frame?

Or, I also think maybe some Model A fordors may have used the frame without the fin as well.

I'll have my Model A expert brother chime in on this.

30. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Yes, the 32-34 PU windshield frame looks just like a Model A (dimensions MAY be slightly different) but they do not have the rear fin. I think all Model A's had a fin, with the possible exception of the slant window 4dr or Vicky - I'm not sure about this. Model T's may have been finless, but they are taller than an A.