Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Getting paint off of chrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by micahmelanson, Jul 21, 2009.

1. micahmelanson

micahmelanson
    from Vinton, LA

Does anyone have any remedies for getting paint off of chrome? My three year old decided he wanted to paint Daddy's car and got the bumper.

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Lacquer thinner, paint reducer, gasolene, mineral spirits.

3. Long Roof Larry

Long Roof Larry

Triple O steel wool.

4. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

...paint remover gel, acetone, anything that will cut paint. Don't use acids or abrasives, although SOS will work but may leave a haze. SOS does work well on old chrome that has some rust comming through. Gets the rust off without too much damage. pigpen

5. skullhat

skullhat

as said, laquer thinner will wipe spray can paint right off. if its any trouble at all, soak a rag then lay it on the paint for awhile.
    i spike my thinner with m.e.k.,as the new stuff is weak, but you'll be surprised how easy it is to wipe off

skull

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Paint remover. I wouldn't use anything abrasive. Gum cutter will probably do it but a small can of paint remover should do it. Chemicals won't hurt the chrome but steel wool can. JMO

7. BobG

BobG

Spray can paint stripper is easy and won't hurt the chrome after it removes most or all of the paint, finish the clean up with lacquer thinner on a rag then use chrome polish.
    If the chrome is nice I'd discourage using steel wool as even the finest steel wool can scratch chrome.

8. lownslow

lownslow

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    and NEVER use steel wool . even the finest will ruin the chrome .

9. Larry T

Larry T

Spraycan carb cleaner (Berryman B-12), spray a little on a rag and wipe the paint off.
    Larry T

10. falfas55

falfas55

0000 Steel wool,lacquer thinner,then Mothers Chrome and Glass Cleaner. Do not use an SOS pad,it'll scatch the chrome. FALFA

11. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Did you consider why someone painted the chrome in the first place ?
    Maybe they painted it because the chrome was bad !

12. lownslow

lownslow

they who ? his kid did it .

13. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Reading the post helps. :D Just messin' with ya.

As said, just about anything works for that. Hell, I've used Brake-Kleen before and it did just fine. Here's an old pinstriper's trick. Oven cleaner. It'll take off pinstriping from a paint job without hurting the paint underneath (about 90% of the time). Good luck.

14. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

As said, just about anything works for that. Hell, I've used Brake-Kleen before and it did just fine. Here's an old pinstriper's trick. Oven cleaner. It'll take off pinstriping from a paint job without hurting the paint underneath (about 90% of the time). Good luck.[/QUOTE]

he's absolutley right, first time i hears this i said, yeah right! but i was amazed at how nice it works. just goes to show, if you want to, you can learn something new everyday.

15. 52style

52style

brake fliud just make sure not to get it on the actual paint on the car !!!!

put it on a rag wipe it on the paint give it an hour or to and come back to ythe paint peeling off

no steel wool needed even 0000 will dull the chrome

16. Squablow

Squablow

I'd just use paint stripper, but for cryin' out loud, quit suggesting steel wool people! That's the worst thing you can do. I don't care how "fine" it is, you're scratching the surface, it's an abrasive.

Even if it's a rusty old bumper, you're much better off to use some buffing compound and a rag over steel wool.

17. Gene@Gearworksmfg

Gene@Gearworksmfg

Oven Cleaner is great for removing a thin layer of paint. I used to use it on aluminum sportbike frames to remove the clear anodized layer before I would polish them. The great thing is that it's not too harsh. I think the best brand was "easy off"
    Good luck

18. loburban

loburban

Brake fluid I just traded for a car with chrome reverses that had been painted red and the guy I got it from had stripped them with brake fluid and it did not hurt the chrome.

19. Dang, what WAS her name?.......

20. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Easy off oven cleaner will take spray paint right out.
    Brake fluid is well known for eating the piss out of paint.
    WD40 might even do it. Seem to remember hearing something like that.
    The Castrol Super clean degreaser (purple) will do it too.

21. skullhat

skullhat

funny, by the time you read all these posts, the paint will probably have just fallen off, as it wont stick to chrome anyway. lol

skull

22. Mr. Skullhat. Read the MSD on MEK. That is nothing to be using in general use. MEK is some bad stuff. WE learned some hard lessons at Obama Motors years ago. IMHO

23. skullhat

skullhat

as with most haz chemicals, they do have to be handled safely.
    for years you could just get it at the hardware store , lol.compared to some of the stuff we see here every day, mek is actually quite mild :)

skull

24. micahmelanson

micahmelanson
    from Vinton, LA

Thanks for all the help

25. I just stripped paint of the grill for my '53 belair using Aircraft Stripper. It worked really well but now I see that the chrome that was underneath looks more like copper. Is there anything I can do with that?

26. Sirweesarunch

Sirweesarunch

If its water based paint use Xylol .. you can get it at any home paint store .. solvent based paint needs a lighter solvent like laq. thinner .. Dont use the rag sopping with thinner . make the rag into a ball and just pad and move in straight line .. You melt the paint and in the next swipe remove whats loose till its all gone ..

27. 19Fordy

19Fordy

You will have to get it chrome plated again. Copper - Nickel - then Chrome.

28. Well damn, I might as well just re-paint it. I don't have the cash for re-chroming. After stripping it I found a couple spots of filler also.

29. DrJ

DrJ

NO!!!!! NO!!!!!! NO!!!!!

ANY abrasive destroys chrome.

Chrome is only microns thin, and basically clear. What "Shiny" you are looking at is the polished Nickel under it.

If you use ANY metal wool, all you will have left is the Nickel under neath it and it WILL tarnish, soon.