Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dragster progress - Chute release?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Well, I think all the welding is done on the frame and I hope to pick up some paint tomorrow.

I've been pondering my chute release. A friend gave me a VERY cool release cable off of an old Fuller car. It doesn't use a lever but instead has a ring on the end to pull. The question is where to mount it. I've only seen one of these on a Swamp Rat and Garlits had the cable snapped onto his race suit so the ring was on the left side of his chest. Where at in the cockpit did they normally have this cable mounted? Anybody have any pics? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. The ones I can remember were usually mounted on the hoop, right around the shoulder area. Could go either side depending on if the driver was right or left handed, and/or what hand he felt more comfortable letting go of the wheel!

3. Will it work with your handbrake? All the setups I have seen use two closely spaced levers/movements so the two action flow as one. Just my thoughts.

4. No handbrake, just the foot brake. My shifter resides where the handbrake normally would.

5. LZ

LZ

For sanity sake Kerry do not paint the car yet.....:eek:

If you haven't mocked up everything yet you will find all kind of inserts and tabs that you will want and what a pain if its painted. For example your chute release mount.

I hope this doesnt sound condisending I am sure you allready know this.;)

They use to use Loops a lot in the old days . But what ever you choose please put everything simply with in reach and on one side.
    Its no fun bouncing around and have too swap hands to get to the Fuel , chutes, Shifter, etc.....:rolleyes:

I have a shot or two but in the mean time check these sites out, the older Cars have different ways to mount or hang the Lever , slide or Loop

http://frontenginedragsters.org/

http://wediditforlove.com/sitemap-free.html

Check Hanna's new car for the slide he did for it...

Keep up the good work
    :)

6. LZ

LZ

7. Actually, dont paint it until you've run it once or twice at the strip. you'll move and change a bunch of things after you drive it.

I personally like the lever myself, depending on the cable quality and the routing, it helps to have the extra force the lever provides. Right hand side, near the brakes.

8. Kerry
    I prefer to drive/steer with my left had so I would want to make it redily available to my right hand.

Diggers are pretty much one man/driver cars so I would think that the most common place is where it is most comfprtable for you to grab it.

I've seen 'em crotch mount mounted on a hoop support or like you said where Don has/had his clipped to his fire suit.

Whatever you do don't mount it where your passenger can get ahold of it. :D:D

9. Thanks for the advice guys. I really like the ring so I'm going to stick with this cable and not use levers. Just need to fnd the right spot for it. I aim to mount the chute in the next few days so I'll attach the cable and see where it works on the right side.

I can understand not painting because of changes but I'm not sure I want to run this thing in raw steel. I spent a few hours last Friday with some Gibbs and a scotchbrite pad taking off rust from my sweat where I touched her. :-/ Still you're probably right.

10. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

I remember seeing the ring mounted on the left side of the main loop sticking out where you could reach across with your right hand to pull it, on a few cars.

Make sure the housing is short enough that it can't catch the loop of the chute pack.

CRC SP250 works nice for a rust preventative. No silicone in it, and it feels like a dry bar of soap if you really lay it on, it's easy to get back off for paint.

Or consider cold wipe on gun bluing. It's a neat look and easy to touch up.

11. Remember to position the ring with you all bundled up in helmet and firesuit. What you can reach in street clothes might be awkward once suited up............but you know this, you are a Vagabond;)

12. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

I think it was on his belts ???...............:rolleyes::rolleyes: may be wrong

13. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check the rulebook to make sure there isn't a place where they MAKE you put it.

And, you better hurry...6 weeks to go...

-Abone.

14. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

From the 09 NHRA rule book.
    The cable housing must be mounted solidly to a frame tube or other suitable member no farther than 1" away from the cable housing end

15. 296ardun

296ardun

I mounted all of my rings on the roll bar, so that it was right next to my head and I could see it when I reached up to pull it...I also wanted it away from the butterfly steering wheel so that I would not grab it accidently when I was trying to get the car to go straight....good advice though, check the rules first.

16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

17. I used a lever (didn't like the ring) mounted slightly ahead of the butterfly and on the right so I could release the 'chute and grab the hand brake in one motion.

18. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

All of my Dads were mounted about like this to the cage on the right side he would pull the ring and then grab the hand brake pretty much in one motion

19. LZ

LZ

20. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Kerry, good advice about making it easy to use after you're suited up!!! I'm not so sure about looking at it to pull it though - there may be times when you find yourself needing to pull it without taking your eyes off the track! Sit in the car - go through your motions - decide from there.

21. madjack

madjack

I've got the same "D" ring release on the car I'm putting together right now. I mounted mine by welding a short piece of tube into the shoulder hoop and another out the back then ran the cable housing though it. This way the cable is completely enclosed in the cage structure.
    I'm at work now but will post a picture later tonight

22. Is a fuel shutoff valve required?

Loop for that and aluminum lever for the chute.

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Between the legs sounds cool...... Eject Eject Eject!
    You have given me ideas for the old Military parachute reserve pull handles I have.
    Doc.

24. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

in my car the fuel shut off is fwd of the rt mounted shifter, the chute is a lever in ft of my brake handle on the left,

25. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

When we ran a dragster, the fuel shut off and chute levers were parallel to each other on the left frame rail. They were pulled (pushed actually) as one unit at the end of a run. The coupe is the same except I took the chute off, it isn't fast enough to use it.

26. I haven't put it all together but I'll have the ring for the chute release mounted to the right on the helmet bar, and have the fuel shutoff by the mag shutoff switch in front right, right in front of the shifter. If the pager doesn't go off to much this week I'll post a pic later of the setup including the tach and oil pressure gauge.