Register now to get rid of these ads!

Slot Mag Sizes and other Errata

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C9, May 21, 2009.

1. Does the 8 1/2" x 15" inside look like the blue painted wheel shown above?

I've got a front view pic somewhere.

Any hoo, pop some pics, we can compare and then start a bidding war against each other....:D

I'll try to get a front view pic up by this evening.

2. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Those were some great ads, i run the 8 lug slots on my 1971 chevy truck.

jp

[​IMG]

3. Looks good Jackal396.

I had a set of 10" wides on my 77 Ford F-250 4x4 about 84.

Had a hard time finding them since the 'Turbine" mags were so popular at the time.
    The turbines looked like they would be a bitch to clean and I was a slot fan even then.

4. Here's some front side pics of the Ansen? (blue back) wheel pictured above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looked it over real good, no manufacturer markings.

(I've found that manufacturer markings aren't always next to the hub. Sometimes they're external and on the inside bead flange, fairly small at times and other times inside the inside flange (external again) with small letters.

As mentioned the 4 1/2" x 15" US Indy mags have US Indy on one wheel only, but both wheels are marked 4 1/2 x 15 and otherwise identical.

5. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

ET IV 6 x 14 - 3 1/4" BS (Unilug)
    [​IMG]
    Ansen 6 3/4 x 14 - 3 3/4" BS
    [​IMG]
    Ansen Sprint 10 x 15 - 3 1/4" BS (bead blasted)
    [​IMG]

CC

6. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

C9,

Thanks for the compliment, they are the 16.5x9.75 wide wheels, at one time i did have the 8.25 wide wheels and sold them for the wider wheels.

In the 80s i had a set of the turbine wheels on my GMC and they were a pain to clean.

jp

7. mulle

mulle
    from sweden

Attached Files:

8. Looking back at the pics, it appears that the "slot" or oval hole's shape is not necessarily a good identifier of brand.

An indicator, but only one of the clues.

One of the Ansen ads shows two of their wheels, one with an oval hole with rounded corners and the other wheel shows the corners with a definite touch of square on the two outside corners of each slot.

After seeing some of the 4-slot pics, maybe I need to go back and double check on a couple of wheels I saw.

I note that advertisers in a few cases listed their OD's and width's.

I wonder if any of them made a 5 1/2" x 15" five lug wheel?

There was some talk on another wheel post I did a while back about altering bolt patterns.
    Generally most alterations were a round hole cut to oval and a thick (3/16") washer used.
    American sold wheels like this in the mid-80's

This method works ok for 4 1/2" and 4 3/4" patterns and I think it may do fine for 5" patterns as well.

My machinist/gunsmith pal recently milled a Uni-Lug pattern into a round lugnut bore hole for a pair of 10" x 15" Americans for a friend of ours.
    And bored the hole out the requisite amount.

I've seen - and done - a second pattern in the same wheel and ended up with 4 1/2" and 4 3/4".
    Note that the hole is only ovalled out 1/8" so any strength compromises are minimal.
    My 10" x 15" Americans were done this way at the factory and approved by SEMA.

Seen more than a few fuel dragsters and other comp cars with dual pattern wheels and seen a few with three patterns.

No failures that I ever heard of.

Translated, if the fuelers can run dual patterns, and taking into account side loading forces, it appears a dual pattern mag wheel will work just fine for the street.

The usual damage done to a mag when extreme side loading from hitting a curb - while sliding sideways - is impressed upon it is usually a broken rim flange.

I did have one guy tell me that the 3 1/2" and 4 1/2" x 15 wheels usually had cracks in them.

Pretty sure he was leading up to trying to buy mine and beating down the price before the dealing started . . . which ain't gonna happen cuz they're not for sale.

I realize mags - and I'm talking aluminum here - should be Zyglo'd if there's a question, but very close inspection visually and using a magnifying glass hasn't shown any cracks so far.

9. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

hmmm...wondering why there's only been one mention of appliance slots on here. scored a 15x7 4.75 pair at the swap meet a couple weeks ago. I really like how the center cap is interference fit rather than held on with the 5 little screws. Pretty good shape, no curb rash or anything. They also still have the SEMA sticker on them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  10. Capt. Zorro

Capt. Zorro

C9, no it's different than the blue painted wheel. It has about an 1/8" step or groove between the oval cutouts and the start of the offset, the only one I've seen like this around here. If you look close at the Fenton ad above you can see it. It's a single pattern wheel, not a unilug style. I got it about 30 yrs. ago in a junkyard down in Sweetwater think it's mate was warped or cracked. It's still mounted on the tire and holding air. Probably take an act of God to get it off.. I took some pics, try to get my Son to scan them in after while.

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  11. Capt. Zorro

Capt. Zorro

Here's the pics:

Attached Files:

12. BluTrukker

BluTrukker

Not to Hijack your thread, but this is the most Info I have ever seen on slots. So I figure you guys would probably be able to steer me in the right direction. I bought a set of slots from a board member, and as I was cleaning them I came across a number on the back. I think it is a part number, but I can't find anything on the web. Does anyone know who manufactured my 6-lug slots part number 3910743. Or does that # mean something else? :confused: Also C9 do you make those smooth aluminum center caps, or do you know where I could get a set?

13. Thanks for the pics.

Different from mine.:(

14. Don't know about the parts number, but if I'm remembering right, the six lugs on my 63 Chevy pickup were Westerns.

Seems too, the recently acquired 8 1/2" x 15" wheels made by ET (ET IV's) had a cast number on the inside flange.

I cut the five allen bolt retained caps from a chunk of solid billet.

The 2nd pic shows a 34 Ford V8 cap adapted to the wheel via a home-made adapter.

Both caps require drilling and tapping the wheel.

If I made another set of caps a lot of time could be saved by using thickwalled aluminum tubing and a 3/16" to 1/4" thick plate.

Right now, I don't have the time to machine a set of billet caps or make adaptors.

Some time back I posted a thread on making an adaptor for the re-pro caps.
    The easiest way to find it would be to do an advanced search for C9, ask for threads and not posts then go down the list.

If you can't find it I think it's still in my computer and I can re-post it as a reprise....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Here's a little more slot mag info I posted at the Rodders Roundtable this morning.

http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10139&sid=2e4d49d28981282133156c40737b83f2

15. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Great thread-

I just bought this set today for $120-

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Does anyone know what model are the fronts?
    They are American Racing and seem to have what looks like a 1971 date code.

The rears have no info on them that I can see.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009

16. The front wheels may be able to be identified by their almost squarish slots.
    Compare those with the pics above that Aceuh put up.

Not sure if I mentioned it on this post, but some wheels have cast brand ID's on the rim.

And like you'd think, I found another orphan 8 1/2" x 15, but it doesn't match the Ansen looking one I already have.

Now I'm starting to stumble across five spokers.
    Going to look at a couple tomorrow.

Not trying to corner the market on slots, but I hate to see them tossed into the melting pot.

So, I found a nice 6" x 14 slot with tire installed.
    Asked the kid if they had a tire machine to pull the tire.

He says, "nahh we cut em off with a shear."

I asked, "how does that work out."

"Great" he says. "We just shear wheel and tire in half and the tire peels right off the rim."

Sometimes, some things just bring tears to your eyes...."

17. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

I like the fronts, the squared off slots are kind of Halibrandish. I think with some taller tires, they would look good on the front of my gasser inspired 1960 F-100.

But, I think I'll grow out a mullet and try on those N-50 tires on it too--white letter side out of course..

18. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I bought my first pair of Superior 15x7s in the early seventies brand new for $25.00 . I traded them in the eighties for a Muncie 4 speed with a Mr. Gasket vertical gate shifter,even up!

19. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

20. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Hoping I won't catch any flack for not being "correct" but I scored a "deal" on these $20 for all 4, they are 14X6 US Mags,from what I have read slot mags came on the scene in 1963 the same year I was a Senior in High School and I had my first '54 in Auto Shop,however I found a set of the green background E-T oval center caps New for $25 that will end up on them as they just look cool when they are rotating.Working on body and interior now.

Attached Files:

21. I have 9 aluminum slots kicking around as well as a set of chrome steel slots.One set of the slots are Dan Gurney 15 x 8.5 unilugs and another pair are 15 x 7 Shelby 500,s in a large bolt pattern,most likely Ford truck. I don,t have any pics handy at the moment....

22. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

I just sold these they measured 15x15. What brand are they?

Attached Files:

23. chopo

chopo

so what brand slots carried the sema stickers?

24. The American Racing 10" x 15" Slot Mags I bought in 1985 had SEMA stickers.

Uni-Lug type wheels that require no adapter.

25. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Hey C9
    Are you into Rugers too? That avatar sure looks familiar. I just bought a 10/22-T.

But on this subject...What Lug nuts should I run with these wheels?
    I found some non-unilug ones for the front of my gasser inspired 1960 F-100.

26. Yeah, I like Rugers.

Have a couple of 10-22's.
    Latest one is a blue 10-22 T - target model.

I don't see your photo's, but if you have a round lugnut hole with an oval step those take an adapter.

If the hole is oval and flush a standard (correct length) mag style lugnut is used.
    Be sure and run the 3/16" thick CenterLine style flat washers.

The thin pos washers that come with most mag style lugnuts soon collapses into the hole and don't do much for you.

A temporary expedient is to go to the hardware store and buy hardened washers.
    They're thicker - 1/8" and you can get by with them till you get some thick ones.

Take a lugnut with you cuz I think the size you want is for a 5/8" bolt.
    They fit more accurately on the 11/16" mag lugnut shank.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  27. When it rains it pours . . . sometimes.
    And it ain't always bad.

Been mentioning off and on the last couple years that I was searching for a pair of 8 1/2" x 15".
    Both here and the usual haunts.

As noted, I was given an orphan that looks like it may be an un-branded Ansen Sprint and have been looking for another.

A couple months back, made a little swap and ended up with a pair - Western I think - 8 1/2 x 15's with 3" or 4" backspace.

Forget which it is, but either will work.

Several months back at the Saturday morning donut run, an ex-Ventura guy (as I am, but I didn't know him there although little brother did).
    I asked if any of the guys had slot mags they'd like to sell or swap.

The ex-Venturan speaks up and says he has a couple I can have, but they're buried and it'll be a while before he can get to them.

Couple weeks back, he says he found them.

Yesterday (Saturday), one of the guys says, "There's Alan and he's unloading a pair of mag wheels with tires by your roadster.
    Right in front of the drivers door so they wouldn't be missed and then he took off.

After coffee and donuts were finished, I wandered out and noted they were 15" and looked wide enough to be 8 inchers.
    Shod with a pair of who knows how old G70-15's that were holding air.

A couple of guys helped me load them into the rumble seat, but not until we measured and they look to be 8" wide.

At home, after unloading I find they are a pair of Ansen Sprints, 8" wide and 3" backspace.
    In very good shape and lightly oxidized.
    A teensy bit of light curb rash on one, but that's no big deal.
    They should clean up easily.

Hauling them home was easy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not too bad, just gotta get the tires off - after I try them on the 31 to see how they fit vis a vis fender clearance.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  28. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

C9-
    We were in Kingman yesterday on our way from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Caverns and finally to Flagstaff. We had a great lunch (excellent patty melt!) at Mr. D's and went across the street to the Powerhouse. Did you see the "before" pictures? It looked like it was someone's aluminum wheel stash house.

29. This is pretty ironic.......and sad. Not made in America anymore.
    [​IMG]

30. Are the pics in the main area or up in the museum section?

Any chance you were looking at 4kv-16kv oil circuit breakers painted silver?

Lots of interesting building here.
    Go north from the powerhouse, 1-2 blocks - turn left on 4th right by Palacio's Mexican Restaurant - great food, interesting building inside.
    Up the short hill is the courthouse and a bunch of other old buildings.
    Some nice Victorian houses in the immediate area as well.

I'll take a look for the pics later this morning.
    Gonna head over to the powerhouse for their 100 year celebration . . . and brats & beer....

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009