Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Ivory Hunter

Ivory Hunter
    from Texas

Had to put the parachute on the roof after it went off the end of carlsbad raceway, mounted on the doors it just dropped and went (sucked)under the car a few times. also ripped the door handle off the rear doors.

2. Nitro Marty

Nitro Marty

Just found my way back here to the H.A.M.B.....
    Thought I'd just toss in a few pics that I took during NostalgiaFest at Cordova Dragway Park a couple weeks ago...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Welcome back, Marty.
    HemiDeuce.

4. WCD

WCD

Bracket car or BB/Gas type circuit machine. And yes, I bet it was a hoot to watch

5. HKH

HKH
    from CA

6. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

drag car = check
    in motion = check

[​IMG]

7. tenebr8

tenebr8

Aside from the brilliant pics, THIS is why this thread rules. Inside stories that we would otherwise have ZERO access to. I, like most of you all, live for this stuff. I love this thread, and I thank ALL of you who have contributed to it. I have been nothing but a happy spectator, but I owe all of you for the hours of happiness you have given me. KEEP IT GOING!

8. tenebr8

tenebr8

9. Ivory Hunter

Ivory Hunter
    from Texas

Gonna have to scan my fathers partners scrap book as it has the pics of the car when it had a injected 500 inch welded stroker in 1967! It was the provost & powers car. ron provost was drivin it till the clutchflight blew and broke his foot, he was also drafed for vietnam. The trans blanket held but the trans tunnel slammed his foot. The chrysler was bought by my father for the tow truck frank powers had with a blown cadillac that they blew up every week end and my fathers chrysler went in the anglia after the incident.

Attached Files:

10. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Sorry if this has been posted before..

Pushing accident.

Attached Files:

11. That my friends, is why we bolted a good piece of yellow pine 2 X 12 to the front of our push cars.

12. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Middie, driver was likely far more PO'd than hurt. :D

13. HKH

HKH
    from CA

14. jangleguy

jangleguy

Hey J-Hole, I assume you're related to Richard Titsworth? I'm a distant fan...Plus, I've done a couple of those E-100s: had a street/strip version in high school, then recently built a C/Gas one (both with SBCs though). My current street/strip car (Morris) uses an 86" wheelbase, stays pretty straight. Runs 10.30s/127. Can't imagine it with a blown Hemi!
    Anyway, thanks so much for posting here! Like these guys say, this is what makes this deal so special - getting details from people who were there. Thanks again,
    Scotty

15. JHOLE

JHOLE
    from ohio

jangleguy,

He's my dad. I don't deserve the thanks, the people who put up forums and sites are the ones who deserve the credit for keeping the information stream alive. And, like you, and others, I appreciate the value of the information. I scanned a bunch of pics this last winter. I will probably scan a bunch of articles this winter. There are a boatload of negatives - I don't know how to do those yet. But, I'll throw out what I can as I can...

FWIW, here is a part of a PM that I responded to One redeyeone...

> He quit racing on a large scale after the Arrow FC was sold. Scaled back and had a really cool altered that he would go and bracket race on his own - all black, no letterring, no nothin'.

Then my grandfather had a stroke and most of his time out of the shop was spent with that. The racing was pretty much over.

He had expanded Seaport to two solid locations. The main location - speed equipment and racing engines. And a second location - speed equiment and a huge used high performance equipment and used race car "swap/consignment". One day he had enough of it - gave everbody notice....

Ran the shop by himself for awhile. Sold the second location. Moved the equipment into a third location and he still builds motors there. We live east of Toledo. Shop is a coupla' miles from each of our houses. Convenient.

Still have the main location building. Guy runs a silkscreen business out of part of it. <

How did you get to even know of Seaport all the way from there?<!-- / message -->

16. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

A piece of British Drag racing History turned up at our local Hillclimb yesterday !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Car is was last run in on a track in 1998 by the owners son, as it no longer meets FIA specs it is destined for a museum.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  17. MoKanMan's Son

MoKanMan's Son

That is one small engine. Very cool! :D

18. oxo

oxo
    from England

I love the look of those old daimler hemi`s,cool engines.saw this car run on many occasions(think the guy was called russ carpenter)but whats with the mirrors?

19. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Must be so you can tell if your burning fuel or aluminium!!:p

20. tenebr8

tenebr8

JHole-- thanks for sharing what you've shared here. It puts a human face on a machine-focused sport.

21. dale thierer

dale thierer
    from Penna.,USA

hi,new here.

Attached Files:

22. jangleguy

jangleguy

Well, I'm going to thank you again anyway. And of course, huge thanks to Ryan and all who made this thread the monster that it is.
    Your dad has a small but crazed following here (southern Oregon), amongst us grassroots little guys. We discovered him in old Hot Rod magazine stories (and Drag News, too - I think). Anyway, he always ran very cool stuff (very tastey!) and sounds like quite a guy (Hall of Famer, isn't he?). One more hero I've come to feel a tiny bit closer to, thanks to this thread. Jeez, must be something in the water back in Ohio - fast drag racers and running backs...

23. OhioRoyce

OhioRoyce
    from Ohio

When the mid-engine Top Fuel cars started becoming popular, the guys switching from front engine weren't able to tell the car was smoking the tires as quickly as they could when the tires were in front of them. The mirrors were added so the driver could see if he or she were losing traction and beginning to smoke the tires. Plus it would help you to know if you were on fire or not.

24. Nitrobaron

Nitrobaron

Dale, as in the HemiHunter Chevy power fueler Dale?

25. dale thierer

dale thierer
    from Penna.,USA

Nitrobaron,yes as in Hemi Hunter.

26. JHOLE

JHOLE
    from ohio

That is very nice of you.

No. No awards. But, I'm pretty sure that wasn't the goal...

Thanks.

27. jangleguy

jangleguy

!!!

28. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

29. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

30. JHOLE

JHOLE
    from ohio

Dang, Alot of off forum interest in this liitle car....

Let me do the easiest thing for now and post some more pics here.

This is some artwork from the following article I assume. I can tell from the ambulance, the trees and the backdrop that the upper part of this collage was at Milan.

[​IMG]

Here is the text of the article. It would have been the first incarnation of this car - at the beginning.

[​IMG]

None of the cars or pictures that I ever post are any kind of statement of of a time frame longer than the camera took the picture. My dad made his life and living out of building motors and race cars, One thing that I have learned is that it was a never ending and seamless existant state of change...

Here are some closer scans of the article.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some scans from the same time period.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In most of these former pics I believe the car stayed in it's psuedo original configuration. These next set show and obvious change to the motor no longer being covered/separated from the driver environment. And an upgraded powerplant.

This was already posted, but it shows the difference in the configuration through the windshield.

[​IMG]

This also shows the inside/outside relationship.

[​IMG]

The/a new powerplant.

[​IMG]

Car show. - my mini bike. Not really mine. My dad did that for the show. It was a piece of art. Gave it to my mom's dad to get around at the marina. I got it then (rather have grandpa).. It's around here some where.

[​IMG]

Another car show. Looks like COBO.

[​IMG]

Sorry, no motion pics.