Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 40 years ago today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dean Lowe, Jul 20, 2009.

1. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

The amount of people that would be involved in a cover- up is pretty high. Remember; three can keep a secret if two are dead.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is exactly the way I saw things, worth rereading if you missed the original post.:)

3. Kerry67

Kerry67

Read about the conspiracy on Wikipedia. Check out the photos of the flag.

4. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

There once lived an American President who uttered these famous words.
    There is nothing to fear but fear itself.
    Make of that what you like. As for the nukes, hmm, yeah.

By the way, don't forget to thank the Aussies for bringing the pictures when the moon was over the Southern skies.

5. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

I was at Mountain Home AFB watching a 13 inch B/W TV with my wife and friends.
    Why did we do it (go to the moon)? Lots of reasons as mentioned already.

Why wear your hat sideways and your pants down around your knees? Lots of reasons I guess but none that I understand. Just too old.

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I'm STILL proud to be an American. We are the best and dont let anybody tell you different. Just because some recipient of racial grief largesse is unashamedly ashamed,My opinion is unchanged.
    I was 13 yrs old at the time and deep into all things space. It was a highlite of my life watching that on the ol Philco. I dont see how drilling for oil will take 10 years, start to pump, when we made it to the moon in 9. WTF

7. I was 14. We were at our cabin out in the middle of nowhere Kansas. Seems like it was really late like 1:00am when Armstrong first stepped on the moon. I was half asleep on the couch.
    I went out side and looked up at the moon in the clear prairie sky. It was an amazing time. It's ranks with the Kennedy assassination and 9-11. Glad I was there too.
    I wonder why they faked that Apollo 13 thing?

8. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

Yeah I remember , my mom pulled me in from the front yard ,showed me I think CBS but there was a studio simulation instead

9. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

I was eight already living in Puerto Rico.....remember my mom getting me out of bed to see it on TV B&W of course....and telling me " this is history and I want you to be part of it......you will always remember this" she said ....and she was correct on that one......

10. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Was 31 years old, watched Aldrin take "a big step for a man" on the tube that day. Believe me we worried about being ahead of the Russians. I forgot lotta people didnt get to enjoy the paranoia of the cold war days. [ the russkies were very interested]
    showed the world who was ahead in space, but was really for military uses.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  11. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Regardless of if you believe it was a hoax or not, one must respect the pride it gave a nation that was living some of it's darkest days. The end of the 60's were a rough time for the USA, between assasinations, war, economic and social issues the space programs gave inspiration and hope to millions of people. Not just in the US, but world-wide (Well, minus Russia...they were probably a little pissed about it). While I'm not convinced that we landed on the moon, it's fact that we went to space and that in itself blows my mind. Humans were never ment to fly, let alone strap missles to our backs and go shooting off into the universe.

12. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

I was 13, watched it at some friends of my parents when we were visiting them in Kalispell Mt. Think about this, there was less computing technology on the Apollo rocket than you are looking at right now. As for the controversy, the current probe that is orbiting the moon is able to see the base of the lander on the surface.

13. Larry T

Larry T

14. duste01

duste01

Our Family didnt have any choice but to sit down and watch the event due to the fact that my Dad was one of the engineers responsible for the rockets putting them in orbit. God rest his soul. I have the operators manual to the gemini rocket if anyone is curious as to how to fuel, launch, recover, clean, and refuel one. heee.

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for doing it. The people that lived it know... the rest...who cares?

16. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i think the thing i take away from it, even though i was only 9 days old is this: i never knew a time when a man couldn't get in a rocketship and go to the moon.

anything is possible.

that's why we went to the moon. because we could. exploration. why did lewis and clark go on that stupid expedition?

why do we ask questions like these when the effects of them are so clear?

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ironic that the news on the radio just mentioned the tiolet on the spacestation is working again...................NO MENTION of 40 years ago we landed on the Moon.

18. MotoVintage

MotoVintage

I was 6 years old, mom & dad woke me up to watch, it was the coolest thing I had ever seen, how many other kids played astronaut after that? Buzz, Niel, & Micheal are for ever heros to my generation

19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Remember LIFE magazine? During the '60s they had frequent coverage of everything the astronauts did, on or off the earth. I'm sure I wasn't alone in following their adventures eagerly. I worked in aerospace '62-'68, and that probably raised my interest considerably.

20. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I was 8 years old, I saw it on telly in Karachi, Pakistan, I was in awe. None of my old relatives believed it was real, they said it was all done on a stage.
    I'm still in awe, we have got to go back and then we gotta go to mars.
    I want to die knowing that life exists elsewhere, even if it's microbial.

21. Yes, really dangerous, if you stay in it for over two weeks at a time and are totally exposed. Neither of which were the astronauts.
    Go to http://www.thekeyboard.org.uk/Moon Hoax Answers.htm, simple responses to the idiotic claims about the Moon mission hoax.
    Wish some would just believe that Americans can do great things and have.

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I deleted this post... and then changed my mind... reopened it... and deleted all of the horseshit. If you provided the horseshit, please don't do it again. :)

I know, it's off topic... But I like reading the responses as I wasn't around then and have always enjoyed the stories. So... yeah, nothing to do with hot rods... But it's my site and if you don't like it, you can kiss my ass. :)

Open again.. for a while anyway...

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I was in France, chasing prehistoric cave paintings (picked up some seriously traditional tools, too) and junkyards, always junkyards.
    I knew the landing flight was underway, but had completely forgotten about it. Driving through some little town with the windows down, my ears suddenly picked out the French words for "man" and "Moon" close together in the furrin gabble...I almost ran off the road as it came back to me!
    We turned on the cheesy Dodge AM radio, cranked it across the dial several times, and got nothing but static and distorted gibberish...we were in the Massif Centrale, French equivalent to Resume Speed, South Dakota...
    We drove out of town seeking altitude...parked atop a hill and tried pointing the car in various directions. Finally picked up news in some Slavic language with enough words we could understand scattered in the unknown to confirm the landing!
    Even the French viewed this as a seriously impressive thing!

24. I am an atomic age baby, born the same year as Sputnik. As a kid, I had every story about the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo programs printed in the Herald-Examiner and the Los Angeles Times, neatly cut and pasted in a folder. I still have them. In a way, i feel sorry for those who did not grow up then, it truely made a kid reach for the stars. To watch them land on the moon, feel the anticipation of exploration to other planets, (now realized or not) was like nothing else. Now, it is all too easy, to "every-day'. But for one day in July, in the age of Aquarius, we conquered the unknown.

So much for waxing poetic...sorry.

25. my2nd40

my2nd40
    from Tennessee

I was stationed in Sicily with the Navy at NAF Sigonella. The Sicilians were smiling and laughing and patting us sailors on the back like we had something to do with it. We were proud of our country and the respect we got. I wish our military guys got the same respectful treatment today. It remains a proud time for me.....always will.

26. at 5, the only thing I wanted to watch on TV was Sesame Street and Cartoons... My parents made me come in from outside to watch... I thought it was just another news program... I really don't remember anything more than being forced to watch it... I do remember the later ones when I was little older...

I did see one of the space capsules at a museum in Pensacola, it's really amazing they got there and back, a couple of facts that stood out were that 1 desktop computer nowadays has enough computing power to have easily handled the entire mission... and that the seats in the capsule look just like aluminum lawn chairs and there was an awful lot of phenolic in there, everything looked like it cobbled together... like a rat.... Nevermind.

27. I remember sitting with my parents and watching intently and in complete amazement...people like Walter Cronkite and Jules Verne delivering the news and explaining what was happening...one of my most distinct memories were the simulated things they were showing...it really puts things in perspective when you see a life sized escape module in person...

28. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Ryan, not that far off-topic: The ultimate hot rod rocket with enough horsepower to leave earth's orbit on a 480,000 mile road trip. I was a 12 yr old paper boy, and I think I re-read the front page with every paper I threw when "we" landed on the moon.

29. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

I was 8 years old and remember that we all were glued to the TV in awe..40 years later we are still glued to the TV waiting for more entertainment

30. Also reminds me of getting a fill up and either a commemorative glass or a commemorative coin depending where my Dad was filling up the impala SS or Mom's Chevelle and everbody wanted Tang (insert pun here)