Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suicide Front End...yay or nay?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy13, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Newer than 1934 would be 1935. No one "sets" the cutoff year, its all about aesthetics, and anything 1935 and newer looks like complete horse shit fenderless.
    Pictures are woth 1000 words, here are some examples:

1934 Looks good
    [​IMG]
    1935 and newer, HORSE SHIT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sprcheese

Sprcheese

Paul Hebert- I'll give you credit, you've done a great job with the truck. But please tell me your gonna change that grill, ugh.
    As for the original question I vote nay. I'm building a 41 ford myself and fenders are the only way to go.

3. Hey wait a minute. I was thinking about taking the fenders and quarters off my stude. I gotta have a hood because the old NHRA rules say ya gotta have a hood in gas class. :rolleyes:

I've seen some done without fenders and I'm thinking that I've seen a few that were or are pretty slick. Lack of cash is no reason to do it though. if ya gotta make an excuse its because you know you're making a mistake.

If I lived closer to the coast I'd be a warf rat.:eek:

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Still looks like ass...

You obviously have no clue what a traditional custom is, it certainly is not a piece of shit...

5. Diesel627

Diesel627

huh that's funny, I've got a set sittin in my scrap pile that are usable. Maybe I should sellum on evil bay with the starting bid of 10,000.00! J/k but I do have a usable set of fenders if anyone is interested let me know

6. Midwest Rat

Midwest Rat
    from Illinois

There are lots of people on here who have fenderless vehicles newer than 34, and if they like it good for them. I like the way my truck looks and have seen
    many others I liked also. Most of the people on here just won't comment because they don't want to get asshole remarks like I got for my opinion! What is so wrong with the whole "rat rod" thing anyways? All you so called traditional guys act like its a racist slur! It's just a slang term some people use. Just because it's in my name doesn't mean that's what mine will be a piece of shit. I joined this site for cool people and good advice so all the pricks can get fucked!!!

7. i didn't say build a piece of shit, moron.. what looks good to certain people is totally a matter of opinion... but hey you can keep following all the rules and being a mindless drone..

8. [​IMG]

I'm diggin' this one. Its got a cool dirt tracker vibe without the mud & dents.

9. hemi

hemi

yackity schmackity...

'35 and newer... needs fenders.

10. hemi

hemi

..and don't let the door hit ya on the way out...

11. hemi

hemi

That is one of the stupidest things I've seen on here, yet... what a complete waste of welding wire.

12. again your opinion.. not fact..

13. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

What the hell is up with the rusty roof, that trucks probably about 10 years old at most! I dont mean to disrepect the builder personally but it is a piece of shit plus its not street legal so what the hell was the point in doing it...

14. Bordem and Alcohol :)

15. Austin Spencer

Austin Spencer
    from Las Vegas

Wow...that was exhausting. I was diggin' for helpful info. for my 36' "fenderless" ford pickup. I don't believe I learned anything here...kinna sad. That's why I spend a lot of my time on this forum...to learn. Can't wait to see reactions to my future posts..haha.

16. I was going to say, I'm gone three days and this thread is still going? But I see it got revived.

They made the square S10s 82-93, so at the newest it's 16 years old, combine that with a lot of sun and weather exposure to burn the paint off and it's not unrealistic it would be that way. Especially with the crap paint GM did those years, my Chevy truck I have now if you stick clear tape to the hood or roof and pull it off it will take the clearcoat right up with it. Someone had a Chevy fullsize crewcab at the Nats that the hood and top had done the same thing on, gone to rust like that.

17. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Crap! I thought only dodge minivans had that problem:) Thanks for the info, im not keen at all on the newer cars lol That s10 is one ugly thing though

18. 21tat

21tat

I think the question was about the ride. Sorry, dude, some of these guys have trouble reading the questions on here. The answer is ............I forgot the question.

19. blown green t

blown green t

They ride good if you get the geometry set up correctly. I had the T Bucket up to 130mph and it tracked nice and straight.
    As for your build, just stay away from the tractor grills and it will be fine.;)

20. Do not put a suicide front end under the truck unless your going fenderless. Put in a 4 inch dropped axle with a spring over the axle ,that way your wheels will still line up in the fenderwells. Terry

21. mundysleadsleds

mundysleadsleds
    from indep. ks

just recently joined the hamb cause i thought it was a bunch of people who built their own rod not people who like the same old boring thing over and over . build your 40 ford truck with what u got and can aford dare 2 b different . its only metal ........

22. vwdave30

vwdave30

damn i hope dudes truck turns out badass lol after that much shit talkin i would just wanna do it more ive seen some pretty cool lookin trucks with no fenders seen some that was ugly as hell too i say just plan it out good and it will turn out fine at least the dude is doin somethin with old cars good fun experience not real sure of how he could screw it up he was just gonna run no fenders didnt see where it said he was gonna butcher the cab up lol could always change it later

23. russnunn

russnunn
    from Florida

Jalopy,
    Don't take any of this personally these guys are trying to help you out in the long run. I have seen quite a few fenderless truck threads get lit up. Telling people to deal with it is not the way to go about it. I have gotten lit up on here to. However, the advice I got was good advice and I used it to make a safer and more reliable build. I garauntee you if you put that front end in two days later you will find a set of fenders. I can understand wanting to get it built done and get out there but take your time and make a beautiful truck you are proud of want to hang on to. Please do not throw something together and go for a five minute death ride. Take what these guys tell you and learn from it there are many years of rodding on here.
    Russ

24. scarylarry

scarylarry

Sometimes there's a reason to do the same thing over and over again...it works.

Dare to be different, build a smoking turd.

25. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

I think you should build fenderless suside pick up just to piss everyone off. because this is a good time. I hear ya about being a body man with no cash. its your truck man do what you want but if these posts bother you then don't do it cause there will be more to come. have fun with it and dont look back.

26. devotion

devotion
    from idaho

do what you want, its your ride. I don't think a suicide front end is going to look right though. I think this truck looks pretty good!
    you could do something like this and smooth out the cowl, a coat of paint and call it a day...or dont smooth it out, leave it as is so later you could sell it to someone that wants to put it back together with the spare fenders they have laying around.

27. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

my friend has a 40 ford pick up with out fenders...i personally think its one of the worst looking trucks i have ever seen. Just my opinion but i would say don't run a suicide front end and try to find fenders for it.

28. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

good point well put!

29. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

very good!

30. Racerex

Racerex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.