Register now to get rid of these ads!

pinstriping decals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

No I remember way back over 35 or 40 years ago that there were pin stripes that came in a decal sheet.. You just got the paper wet that they were on and you could apply to the surface.. Does anyone know if there still any of them around?? I shaved the dash of the radio delete plate, and ashtray on the dash of my 37 Ford.. I would like to have some nice pin stripes there.. Thanks.. Al

2. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Yeah, they are still avaliable at most vinyl sign shops. But kinda cheesy IMHO. Get the real thing. It's a dying art, but those guys are still around.

3. I concur. Get the real thing done. It'll look cooler and throw a few bucks a striper's way.

4. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Yeah.. When I am done with the car I plan to drive it down to Back to the 50's.. I saw a couple of guys down there doing it..

5. It may be cheesy, but the original ones sure makes for some cool wall art. When I was in high school, I bought a bunch of cheap stuff from a speed shop that was closing down, I totally forgot about them. I found these with a bunch of old stuff at my parents house they were moving out of. These are Jefferies originals.

Attached Files:

6. Modeler Teysik

Modeler Teysik

I like completely original striping, with a brush.

7. MEMPHIS RAT

MEMPHIS RAT
    BANNED

wat he said x2.

8. Real pin striping is worth the money just to watch the artist work.

9. J.C Whitney still sell's em, along with engine restore pellets:eek:

10. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

They were cheesy 35 or 40 years ago. I didn't even like them on the AMT 3 in 1 model kits.:D

12. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

:eek: DECALS :eek: Bite your tongue!!! 40 years ago they would tear, wrinkle, and get bubbles underneath... that's the reasons I learned to pinstripe with a brush. MOBETA!

13. Von Franco was selling some a while ago wasn't he?

14. vertible59

vertible59

Try Twisted Chrome. Google the name and their website will come up.

15. sololobo

sololobo

16. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Now a days they would be made in China and be made of lead based paints!!!!

17. Sando

Sando
    from Burbank CA

The decals were called Doll-Up Stripes...
    Here is Francos set, they first came out with Von Dutch's name on em

Attached Files:

18. matttatts

matttatts

pin it for real or not at all. might aswell scribble it in there with a sharpie if your gona do a decal

19. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Sorry, Sorry.. Just a thought. I have to put something there.. Otherwise I have to install a GPS unit in that spot..

20. JEPPA

JEPPA

Keep stripers employed! Times are tough and I'm sure some of them will do it cheaper than any vinyl or water sticker.

21. vntodd

vntodd

hey Al, next time I head up to visit my brother in Superior, I'll bring my striping brushes...sent you a PM

22. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Pin-stripe decals are like a stuffed bra. Might look ok from a distance, but when others find out the truth, you're going to get laughed at.

23. Had to throw this one in:cover of a magazine I got awhile back.Brand new Lamborghini done entirely in Sharpies.Took 14 days.

I bought some old pinstriping decals awhile ago just to have.Put them in an album for posterity.

Attached Files:

24. I'll agree with the cheezy decal comments, but I see MORE striper today than back in the 60's thru 80's. I don't see it as a dying art form at all.

25. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Only need it in that center section of the dash.. Maybe a different story after I paint it hopfully in the next year or year and a half.. Have to do my whole interior, need all of the glass, need to have a driveshaft made, and need to install the gas tank.. Then some more body work and paint it up.. Al

26. matttatts

matttatts

yup i have seen this car b4. when i was young my dad took me to the auto museum in vancouver and they have john lennons rolls royce in there that he painted like a flower coverd hippy bus aswell.

there is no bad paint choice police so you can realy do what you want to, but should ya?

27. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

I do pinstriping and I have to say I agree with you. It was dying art form 10 years ago, but recently it has become a reviving art form. Almost to the point that there are too many stripers out there. At any given car show, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting thirteen guys that think they're pinstripers. (myself included).

28. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

How do I choose a design?? I only want a small area from where the knob is for opening the front windshield, to a couple of inches above the bottom of the dash. At the bottom of my dash I built a panel that holds my head unit.. Also.. What colors would be good?? The interior will be black with some blue here and there.. The car will be a Aqua Blue Metalic.. Not sure, but I might put a blue piping on the seats..

29. Kreepy

Kreepy
    from Austin, Tx

go with the stripers not the vinyl!

30. rottenrod

rottenrod

"Now a days they would be made in China and be made of lead based paints!!!!"

isnt one shot lead based paint

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009