Register now to get rid of these ads!

Big Brother Rules! (the LAW, not the skate mag)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RF, Oct 7, 2004.

1. jeffro

jeffro

It seems to me that 52cheif nailed it.

[ QUOTE ]
    It seems like it's going to hurt the people who fix up cars that otherwise would just litter the highways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many state have a program where the more older cars they get off the streets, certain groups get tax break or relief of some kind. I'm not sure but I think its the auto manufactures. I could be talking out of my ass, but I remember reading something on here last year about this program.
    It just looks to me that they have found an easy target to either, get their money, or get them off the street.

BTW Big brother mag used to RULE! I still have all the ROSA posters.

2. [ QUOTE ]
    Just saw here in Missouri a recent new law concerning the titling of "street rods".
    it says in a nutshell that if a car is built from reproduction parts and if said car resembles a certain vintage[real] car it can and will be titled as that vintage of car-BUT in all cases the word REPLICA shall be placed on the front of title next to that vintage year as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting because I have heard Iowa and Nebraska are looking at fiberglass cars too it would be registered as a 2004 1932 Ford. No mention of replica but I gotta think they will catch that eventually. Everyone should be aware of this type of stuff in their own state - for better or worse [​IMG]

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

When I bought my '28 Buick rails I was thrilled the VIN tag is still on the rails. And there it will stay. Hopefully I can get a lost title application through. If they give me shit the body is older than the rails. The engine is a '65. I don't think any major part is less than 35 years old...

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Interesting thread. Now for the final act. If the states are sucessful in getting the "reproduction cars" titled as current year vehicles then the next logical step would be to make them meet current year emissions tests. Have any idea what it would take to get a Brookville '32 with a 1967 427 to meet current emissions requirements. I don't know but I'll bet it would be ALMOST impossible.

Frank

5. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

THAT'S IT!!!

You should all be fed up with this fucking witch-hunt that is constantly coming down on you in Cali. If it isn't one thing it's another. The fucking bastards.

You all could move to Iowa, we're tenacious about our freedoms. We have staved off the drive for helmet laws and things of that sort for a long time - though someday that may change concidering that we are one of only a handful left, but what the hell - come on IN !!!

Seriously though. I think that folks from Iowa tend to watch the politics pretty close. We keep on top of what's going down. Seems like people in Cali never find out until the day after something goes down....not making fun, just thinking out loud.

6. RF

RF

[ QUOTE ]
    the next logical step would be to make them meet current year emissions tests.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually, through SEMA, CA currently has an "acceptable" emissions law for so-called Special Construction vehicles which only requires the car to meet emissions standards enlisted the year the "engine" was manufactured. If you've got a new crate motor, you're screwed; if on the other hand you're running a pre-'66 mill, no worries. Who knows how long this will last.

7. repoguy

repoguy

So does that mean I get to write off all the money I've lost on my cars?

8. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    I think that folks from Iowa tend to watch the politics pretty close. We keep on top of what's going down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's easy when there's only 23 of you in Iowa! [​IMG]

The UK has something called SVA - basically it's very rigorous inspection of cars built at home from kits or parts/pieces. This creates a black market for registration documents - there will always be ways around these types of things. They determine what year your car is on a points system - X points for the frame, Y points for the body, Z points for the engine. If you get enough points, you can have a year of manufacture registration. If not, you get treated like a new car...

[​IMG]

9. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

One of those 23 in Iowa is my second cousin, Barbara. She's a "Geezerette", ugly as dirt, sings off key, dumb as a box of rocks, can't cook, and lives in a sty like me. She really digs English guys though; something about the accent. Wanna meet her?

Regards, pigpen

I pushed my soul into a deep dark hole, and then I followed it in............(Old hippie song)

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Too bad I'm not English! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Cabbie

Cabbie
    from DeLand, FL

What about nonoping the car when yo ufirst register it. then go back later and register it for the road. That way a $50 purchise price wont look so out of place. If the man catches up with you, just tell him the car looks great cause you put so much damn work into your car. Damn the man!!

12. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Beaurocracy gone mad as usual, creating more problems than it is worth and of course thinking they are keeping themselves in a job.
    These idiots don't stop to think of the taxes they take in from the actaul industry that we all as hot rodders support. If they wipe out what we love to do, then they may wipe out an entire industry. Then from that you end up with so many other social issues. They have lost that huge amount of tax base from that industry. You end up with a lot of out of work people that would now be relying on government support! And those couple of problems would just be the tip of the iceberg!
    This many be dramaticsing the whole issue, but these clowns that come up with these things just don't seem to look at the big picture. As someone said, most of these decisions are influence by big corporations. ie, auto manufactures, fuel companies, big polluting industries.
    As usual THE MAN is going after the little guy!
    Sorry for the rant Geoff aka Whodaky

13. the_horrormoans

the_horrormoans

I paid $3500 for my truck, when I went to register it I told the DMV that I purchased the vehicle for $200 [​IMG]
    in turn taxes & tags weren't that bad. I also like to piss off cops by not having the license plates on my truck, front and rear. And I have both side mirrors shaved and the rear view mirror is also gone. I've been pulled over twice and I just feed them a line of bull "yeah, the license plate bolts are stripped out and I'm on my way to the hardware store to pick up some new ones". It's just a matter of time before they start giving me fix-it tickets.......or will they?....I know this is all pretty stupid but I don't care, I'm young so I can do stupid shit [​IMG]

14. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    I also like to piss off cops by not having the license plates on my truck, front and rear. And I have both side mirrors shaved and the rear view mirror is also gone. I've been pulled over twice and I just feed them a line of bull "yeah, the license plate bolts are stripped out and I'm on my way to the hardware store to pick up some new ones". It's just a matter of time before they start giving me fix-it tickets.......or will they?....I know this is all pretty stupid but I don't care, I'm young so I can do stupid shit

[/ QUOTE ]

You're part of the reason they're coming after us. I'm not going to pretend I've never done anything like that, but I did grow up - eventually. Don't let being young be an excuse for being stupid. Take responsibility for your actions now.

*lecture over*

[​IMG]

15. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

(Flaternie: "Too bad I'm not English")

Damn the bad luck!

pigpen

16. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Ernie,
    Word has it that soon the cops will be able to send you for inspection any time they feel like it, if they feel that perchance your 'glass bodied, box section chassised, independently suspended, disc braked '32 is not ALL original car. If they decide it is not original enough then it is off to SVA. And they'll look at it like it's a brand new car being inspected for all the crap that new cars have.

My guess is that they could clean half the rods off the roads of England if they really got into it!

Cop: "New chassis under there sir?"
    Rodder" "Well, it's modified and improvered with proper safe brakes and suspension"
    Cop: "You gotta go get the car re-registered sir!"

17. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

In Texas, lying about what you paid for a vehicle is a felony. It would be wise to check your own state laws. The food in jail is not exactly the same as mom's home cooking!

pigpen

"Workin' in the coal mine, goin' down downtown, workin' in the coal mine, oops about to slip down...." (Old song)

18. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Morrisman,

I've heard of this scheme, but not seen it implemented yet. I think most cops won't bother you if you're driving sensibly (like I ever do! [​IMG] [​IMG]) & your car appears to be well constructed. "Appears" being the operative word here. I think this means folks with the "barn fresh" look, whether genuine or aftermarket patina, may be in for more hassle than those driving more "finished" cars...

Then there are the idiots that think everything is a "kit car" - but that's another battle entirely.

Idiot - "Is that a kit car?"
    Rodder - "No, but it is a glassfibre body on an all original chassis"
    Idiot - "So it's a kit car."

My old roadster was an all new creation despite being registered as a '31 [​IMG] If stopped for one of these inspections, I'd have failed miserably and probably ended up with a Q plate and SVA when it was all said & done (if I could have even brought it into compliance)!

[​IMG]

19. the_horrormoans

the_horrormoans

[ QUOTE ]
    You're part of the reason they're coming after us. I'm not going to pretend I've never done anything like that, but I did grow up - eventually. Don't let being young be an excuse for being stupid. Take responsibility for your actions now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I know it's pretty irresponsible, but stuff like this really burns me up. Combine this anger with a sicc sense of humor and the "all balls and no brains" mentality of a 24 yr old and the end result is gonna be some stupid shit. But I guess I'd better wise up fast...I'd rather spend $200 on my wife and son than a ticket.......I'll keep it up a little bit longer [​IMG]

20. We just went threw this same thing here in B.C,
    If you have a fibreglass kitcar;ie;32 ford roadster kitcar,and you register it as a 32 ford when it isn't then you can be charged with fraud.Theres a guy here in town that owns a glass replica 34 ford,he scammed and registered it as a 34 ford when in fact not one piece on it is from 1934.He crashed his car(his fault totally)then went to claim on his insurance to get it fixed.They found out it wasn't a 1934 ford but a 2001 fibreglass kitcar.They told him he had to fix it himself.He got a lawyer and went back at the insurnce company(which is run by our government)The lawyer was told that if his client wanted to push it that they were gonna charge him with fraud.
    He backed off and had to foot the bill himself,between 30 and 40 thousand!It had a Dan Fink grill,busted the top of the blower off etc!
    Now its opened a huge can of worms.If you have a fibreglass kitcar you have to have it inspected before you can register it.Same as if you buy a car from out of province,it has to be fully inspected.
    Canadian Law now states that you can no longer bring a fibreglass kitcat into this country.A buddy of mine just bought a 34 ford fibreglass coupe,they stopped him at the border and told him no way its coming in.It doesn't meet 2004 safety requirements!
    He had to take it to a friends of ours in Washington State and sell it!
    The goldchainers up here have opened a big can of worms.They all want cheap insurance cuz they only drive their cars on sunny sundays [​IMG].So now we have a "modified collector plate"If you want you can take your hot rod get it inspected and get it re-registered as a 2004 U-built.
    Then you can get cheap insurance.
    All the fibreglass kitcars are registered as 2004 U-builds.
    If your get pulled over by a cop and your driving a fibreglass car and its registered as a 32 or whatever its a replica of you will be towed home,registration void!
    Ah,its so nice to have a steal car [​IMG]......Shiny

21. steevil

steevil

yep. The out of province is a bitch.

conversely speaking, I am all for keeping dangerous junk off our streets.

What's happening in Kalifornia already happened here in Alberta a long time ago except it was in the interests of preventing fraud, not a tax grab.

22. ray

ray
    from colorado

[ QUOTE ]
    I paid $3500 for my truck, when I went to register it I told the DMV that I purchased the vehicle for $200 [​IMG]
    in turn taxes & tags weren't that bad. I also like to piss off cops by not having the license plates on my truck, front and rear. And I have both side mirrors shaved and the rear view mirror is also gone. I've been pulled over twice and I just feed them a line of bull "yeah, the license plate bolts are stripped out and I'm on my way to the hardware store to pick up some new ones". It's just a matter of time before they start giving me fix-it tickets.......or will they?....I know this is all pretty stupid but I don't care, I'm young so I can do stupid shit [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, and i bet the NEXT car you buy you will be honest about the purchase price. the problem, is they are cracking down on people like you, except the cars they are buying are 100,000+ cars. they make excuses just like you do. and they probably did the same thing then they were "young and stupid"

youre stupid, that's why you're doing stupid shit. like posting about your tax fraud in a post about...tax fraud. [​IMG]

and fix-it tickets won't be your problem when you lane change your no mirror having, no plate having(and i'll wager a guess at too low) 200 dollar truck into another car and get your ass sued. then you'll be worring about your negligence in the matter. then your young and stupid will turn you into old and poor...and stupid.

23. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

What really sucks is I never really gave this that much thought before because I have never bought or built a car without a title.

I was planning on starting on a 32 roadster if and when I get my 62 sold. I was going to use a Brookvile body. With all the chaos I have gone through just getting antique plates and such in the past I have no real idea how I would ever be able to get a built car titled.

I know I can call up those people in the back of Street Rodder etc. but what happens if they get nailed and I have a title from them.

The people at the local swap meets that sell titles in Texas are a scam, the ones they have are mostly all signed and I know of several people who threw good money away because the DMV would not except those titles without documents signed by the people who signed the title.

Crap, this really is a horrid deal.

24. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Merc 50. Check your local Tex Dot office. They have a handout that explains all of the hoops you will have to jump through. I just went through it all with my '27 T w/ '52 flathead, that was built mostly from stuff that came from one junkpile or another. Get a bill of sale or receipt for all major parts. I had a plastic bag with 10K worth of receipts in it for the stuff that didn't come from the junkpile but all they wanted was proof of sale for the major items.They will charge tax on anything you bought from a private party. Your local tax office has the initial form you need to get started. I recommend that you use an older engine. The Inspection Station I delt with said that smog controls would be an issue with a new motor. With a newly built car you have to have a valid state inspection. They also made me put reflectors in back like a trailer, black out the blue dots, and add a hand windshild wiper which was an option on roadsters in '27 and shouldn't have been required. They were just covering their ass; fines you know; that, and there was a drunken, retired highway patrol dildo hanging around the inspection station that was trying to throw his weight around and be the "Big Man". Talk about having shit thrown in the fan!

Regards, pigpen

It wasn't easy, but it wasn't all that hard either, just a PITA.

25. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

There was this guy writing down vehicle plate numbers at the Long Beach Swapmeet today... I followed him around, and finally went to ask him if he was looking for stolen cars. He semi-laughed and said no, "I am doing Plate Research, nothing official". I looked for someone I knew that had a camera, so I could take a pic of him doing it, but no luck... I think he was full of shit...

26. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Do you think that he might have been getting plate numbers of the cars he liked, so as to get the owners name and address, so he could make an offer, so he could re-sell at a great profit, so he could make a buck, to satisfy his greed? Or worse yet; so he could tell the towtruck, where to go, to steal at night, to ship overseas, to a rich Jap buyer, so he could make a buck, to satisfy his greed!

pigpen

I used to work in the county jail so I think about these things. Been keeping bad company.