Register now to get rid of these ads!

Unilug pattern wheels...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Phule, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Phule

Phule

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on how unilug wheels differ from regular wheels? I've found a set of 14" craiger s/s unilugs here local for $100 and don't know if they will fit my Biscayne. (It's 5 x 4.75" I *think*) I'm searching on here, layitlow and google right now for any info, but can't seem to find exactly what I need to know.

I appreciate it.

2. Phule

Phule

Doh! It's a 1960 model btw.

3. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

well i have seen two different styles of unilug or multipattern wheels. some have ten holes....5 for chevy 5 for ford. others have an oval shaped bolt hole where the studs go through.

i imagine the cragar s/s will have the oval shaped holes. that allows it to fit studs that are farther apart.

4. Cragar SS wheels have slotted unilugs. They take a special lug nut and washer. Generally they are Ford 5 on 4 11/2 and Chevy 5 on 4 3/4. Lugs and washers are still available new.

5. Crager SSs have the elongated holes . You just buy the right lugs and washers from like Summit and away you go.

6. Phule

Phule

Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to give him a call tonight and set up a time to check them out. I'll be a happy man if they will fit my Chevy!

7. budd

budd

there is also the offset round washer type as well, do you know for sure there ss's?

8. Phule

Phule

This is the pic from craigslist.

Attached Files:

9. Those are the regular SS unilug. Should fit your Chevy just fine

10. Phule

Phule

I just found this post by RustyBolts:

"In case the word "Unilug" doesn't mean anything to somebody, what they did was have oval shaped holes so the same wheels would work with 4-1/2", 4-3/4", and 5" bolt patterns. There were oval shaped countersinks in the wheel around each of the oval holes. They sold two different sized heavy oval shaped stamped steel washers that you used depending on what bolt pattern you have. The early '60s Chevys had the 4-3/4" bolt pattern, so you'd get the unilug washers that had the holes in the middle, which would center the studs in the middle of the slots. For 4-1/2" or 5" bolt patterns, you had to buy the washers with the offset holes.

They work okay, but you have to use the crummy lug nuts that have a deep narrow shank nose that goes into the Unilug washer and part way through the oval hole in the wheel. Depending on how long your wheel studs are, sometimes the studs didn't go through the actual hex part of the nut very far. For drag racing they have rules about how far the studs have to go through the actual hex part of the lug nut."

From this thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317317&showall=1

I think I'm going to have to do a little more research before I shell out any $$.

11. Many Uni-Lug type wheels take a regular mag wheel lugnut.

Some require a washer and some don't.

Does the lugnut area have an oval step machined into the front surface of the wheel?

Or has it just been drilled with an oval pattern lug hole and no step?

12. C9 is right, some of them have a recess for the washer to fit into, other have a falt surface and a couple of rasied "Bumps" to hold the oblong washer from spinning. If you're worried about strength, My 800HP Anglia B/GS uses them!