Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Custom 57 Chevy car craft cover car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FRITZ, Sep 13, 2008.

1. henry29

henry29

I saw what it went for on ebay and it seemed pretty fair to me, I just wonder how much difference that was from what you originally offered.

2. Plowboy

Plowboy

Groovy. I missed the original post. I look forward to seeing it stashed out in my "shed of dreams". ha ha ha

3. slammed

slammed

You are a true caretaker of the custom car world. T-shirt's of the finished ride to help w/ the cost's? I'll take 2!

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Hell yes, glad you got it, it's in good hands. I can't wait to see the progress on it.

5. jonnycola

jonnycola

6. jawdrpn36

jawdrpn36
    from bay area

7. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

No Update, I'm in the process of moving right now so things are on hold
    FRITZ

8. Larry T

Larry T

A few years after it was featured in Car Craft, there was a small picture of it in the magazine sitting in a wrecking yard, basically in to bad of shape to justify fixing at the time. It was VERY sad looking.
    Glad to see it back in the hands of someone who will bring it back to it's former glory.
    Larry T

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

The front fenders tuck under too soon, but other than that, Its awesome! How do you guys find this stuff??. All we get up here in Montana are rusted out F 100's.

10. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

US guys!!! they usually find Moriarity, LOL
    Hell I'd customize a F-100 how rusted are they Chaz Man!
    FRITZ

11. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

Great find! I have one of those mags at home.

12. rippedcamel

rippedcamel
    from Florida

After meeting Fritz in person I'm glad it went to him. Maybe someday I'll buy it back from him (obviously for a MUCH greater price) when he's done with it. It was just way to much for a novice like me to handle. All in all fate has it's ways, and it ended up with the right person. That's what matters.

The comment about not being garaged Fritz since I can remember (back in the early 80s) that thing was always in my grandparents garage. I know that because there were hundreds of empty cardboard boxes that they stored that were stacked ontop and around it. That thing was buried in the garage. After it was in that accident that was it's demise, I don't know how long it sat in the snow till my dad bought it. I think a year or two. Don't remember what he said.

BTW, do you need me to post up pics of the interior pages of the magazines Fritz?

13. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

from the pic in the 1963 custom rodder, the steering wheel looks like this 1961 buick invicta wheel, it is real similar to the 59-62 olds wheels, but they have a much deeper dish than the one the 57 appears to have.,so I am suggesting the buick wheel.

Attached Files:

14. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

...and now I take that post back^^ this 60 pontiac wheel looks even more like it.

Attached Files:

15. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I will post a pic of the custom rodder interior shot later...it won't be great though I only have a digital camera, not a scanner.

16. There's no such thing as a shabby looking 57'. I now have my third HT and It's rough but I feel I'll make the world a better place by saving it. Your project reminds me of how I looked in 63' and how I look now.

17. monsterflake

monsterflake

i'm glad you sold it to him, too! it's gonna be awesome when it's done AND close enough for me to see it in person... :D

18. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

The steering wheel looks like an early Caddy to me, maybe mid '60's ...

Kool car Fritz...you bringing it to Salina...???

R-

19. T-Roy

T-Roy

Well, I was one of the guys that wanted him (maybe not truly believed) to restore it... Glad to see it eventually ended up in someone's hands who will bring the car back to it's Cover Car glory!

20. ka-zoo

ka-zoo

I love this car, I think i have the little custom rodder with it on the cover too.
    If I had the cash, i'd "fund" the resto of it...

21. MilesM

MilesM

Pontiac would have clear or translucent (sp?) parts but it could have been painted over.

22. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

ok here is the CR pic, and the pontiac wheel again. the cadillac and olds wheels have a cone like tapered center wheras the poncho wheel looks like the bottom of a soup can, so I am still going with the poncho, I wonder if the chieftan wheels were solid, with no transluscent?

Attached Files:

23. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

jonzcustomshop>
    Hey thanks for all the steering wheel info, I'd say its a 60 poncho. That was the last piece of the puzzle we were trying to figure out!

YES!, I am bringing the car to Salina in all its rusted rotted out glory.
    Ask to see the beaver when ya see me, LOL
    FRITZ

24. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

After reading the earlier thread about this car, I am glad it all turned out well for buyer and seller. Good score, Fritz! I know you will do this car justice.

25. Great that you got the car!
    Isnt it scary to think what would have happened to that car (and many others) if there was no HAMB........................

Ryan for supreme overlord!

26. S.F.

S.F.

wow, that 57 chevy is one bad ass mother fucker.

27. PUNK RODDER

PUNK RODDER
    from KC, MO.

Hey Fritz you wonder why that beaver isn't hanging out at the pond? Well wouldn't you rather reside in an old Cadillac or a custom '57 Chevy?
    I really thought you were shitting me when you told me to open that hood yesterday!!! Travel safe and we'll see you in Salina.

28. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

Hey Eric
    If the God beaver offers you a fish,.....You take the fish!

29. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

I cant tell if thats the uglist custom, or the coolest, leaning toward uglist

30. Glad to know the car's being brought back to it's former glory. Good luck with it!