Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dragway 42's "Rock and Race" Event 2009 - July 17, 18, and 19

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dragway42, Jan 27, 2009.

1. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

From the looks of it I will be skipping it this year too. We had fun last year despite the sweltering humidity but there are to many red flags popping up right now.

2. Looks like I'll give this one the old wait and see how it was, I was planning on making the trip down but not for something that no-one knows anything about. For those that do go keep us posted on the going ons.

3. Well, not too happy about the quick 16 thing if it causes us nostalgia guys to loose track time. Don't care about the t shirts design, got too many already...I never see all the bands, I am sure a couple of my favs will be there....Hopefully, the pussyfoot girls didn't sign up. Looking forward to the small swapmeet. Like to run at the track, love the pits.. but what really has me riding on the fence is the 1976 cut off....so I was thinking instead of bringing the Rebel Reaper, this year I might bring my 1975 gremlin:D

4. John T.

John T.

I was all worried about the Gasser meet at Thompson from all the smack talk on here about it. I went and a great time. Race Rock, it was good last year so I can only cross my fingers for this year. Besides it looks like the Wanted Man is ready for some track time. I have put about 100 miles on the street in the past few weeks, and think I'm ready.

Stop by and say hello, Also gonna be cacklin down the track Sat. in my buddy's 1968 Loghe dragster.
    [​IMG]

5. bustingear

bustingear

I have been to the event the last 2 years and have had a great time . I owe it to them to give them a chance to make this one happen again. late model cars? I would have imagined in 1962 when they allowed after year 32 cars in that there was the same controversy? Whats that smell? a little bit louder! I will make the call of internet Bullshit:) Give it a chance. Somtimes we get too caught up in the pure thing. If we really wanted pure we would have never put hemis in fords or fords in chevys or whatever. Come on... really., like the guy said above who needs the T-shirt...

6. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

If I'm not tied up working for the man. I'll make a trip down Sat. and check it out. I'm sure I could think of worse ways to spend an afternoon.

7. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

I'll be there Saturday, They will have a couple AA/FD there, if that ain't enough to turn you crank your to fucked up to have any fun anyway.
    I'll have plenty of cold beer in the cooler too. Stop by and have a few, I'm in a red 07 GMC with torque thrusts on it. JC Sparks

8. luckydevil

luckydevil

<!--StartFragment --> Hey guys, everyone needs to settle down. I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up on this thread. If I had I would of been able to answer some of your questions.

Yes I'm not promoting the show this year. Yes some things have changed. Yes the artwork sucks.

Things that have changed.

#1 The track has changed the year cut off from 72 to 75. Not what I would have done but is it really that big of a deal? So there will be a hand full of 1973 to 1975 cars at the show. Who cares? If the cars are cool and fast what difference does it really make?

#2 They have added a quick 16 on Sunday. I don't see this as a bad thing at all. Who doesn't want to watch 7 second cars race? I know I love seeing fast cars.

#3 They added fun runs. That means you can race your cars all day, heads up, for three days as many times as you can. We should all be able to get 40 or 50 passes each over the 3 days. That's a good thing. In the previous years some people were afraid to race because they had to race for either money or a trophy. Now we can all go and just run the crap out of our cars. It's a good addition!

Now aside from those 3 things I believe everything else will pretty much stay the same. There will be the money race, gamblers race, fun runs, swap meet, car show, cool bands, free camping, BYOB, pinstriping, burnout contest, etc. The prices have all stayed the same. There is no increase from last years show. If everyone shows up with your car it's going to be a good time. So please, everyone who is on the fence about coming. Get off the fence! Come on out and have some fun.

Don, Littleman, Falcon Gasser, Detroit Crew, Chrome Czars, all the car clubs and all the people lurking, watching this post, come out and have a beer with me. This is the first year I am going to be able to really enjoy the show AND race my car. Those of you who know me no that I was too busy working all the other shows to really have a good time. I'm looking forward to seeing some familiar faces this weekend and hopefully making several 10 second passes!!!

9. RatInfested

RatInfested

I heard if your car runs 11.99 or faster you can only race 1/8 mi. Can anybody verify this.

10. luckydevil

luckydevil

NO! not true. ALL CARS, no matter how fast or slow, will be racing 1/4 mile! ALL RACING WILL BE 1/4 MILE THIS WEEKEND!!!!!

11. got my e-mail today...for the record, I was never on the fence...just don't want a t-shirt....:D be out there tomorrow afternoon, and I will hold you to that 40 something passes, in continuing with "wearing out my car":cool:

<HR>From: [email protected]
    To: [email protected]
    Sent: 7/16/2009 6:21:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
    Subj: Dragway 42 News - "Rock & Race" This Weekend

[​IMG]
    <CENTER>[​IMG]

Dragway 42 E-Newsletter - Thursday, July 16, 2009 </CENTER>

<CENTER>IT IS THIS WEEKEND!
    Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
    July 17th, 18th, and 19th

4th Annual "Rock and Race" Nostalgia Weekend

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You have waited an entire year for this event to return!

It is Dragway 42's 4th Annual "Rock and Race" Nostalgia Weekend!

For 2009 it is bigger and better than ever before!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8 Live Bands, Big $$$ Nostalgia Drag Racing, Front Engine Top Fuelers,
    Rat Rods, Cruise-In, Car Show, Burnout Contest, Swap Meet, Vendors,
    and the Bench Racing that you have come to love...

PLUS 2009's NEW ADDITIONS

Jet Truck Exhibition Runs Saturday & Sunday,
    Expanded Fun Run Opportunities Saturday & Sunday,
    100 MPH Club Qualifying on Sunday, and
    $1,000 To Win, "Quick 16" Eliminator on Sunday

[​IMG] </CENTER>
    For full details concerning this weekend's "Rock and Race" event, click HERE.

Schedule Highlights Include:

Friday, July 17: Hot Rods vs Late Models 1/4 mile grudge racing and Live Bands

Saturday, July 18: $1,000 to Win, 1/4 mile, pre-1976 vintage Bracket Racing; Nostalgia Front Engine Dragsters; American Thunder Jet Truck; Fun Runs; Dash Plaques for Car Show entries, and Live Bands

Sunday, July 19: $1,000 to Win, 1/4 mile, pre-1976 vintage Bracket Racing; $1,000 to Win, 1/8th mile, any vintage, Quick 16 eliminator; Mickey Thompson Burnout Contest; American Thunder Jet Truck; Fun Runs; 100 MPH Club Qualifying; and Dash Plaques for Car Show entries

FREE OVERNIGHT PARKING OFFERED ALL WEEKEND LONG!

HOURS

Friday: Vendor and Swap Meet Setup Noon to 10 PM; Gates open for participants and spectators at 4 PM
    1/4 mile "Hot Rods vs. Late Model" Test and Tune begins at 5 PM; Live bands begin at 8 PM

Saturday: Vendor and Swap Meet Setup 8 AM to 10 AM; Gates open for participants and spectators at 10 AM
    Fun Runs 11 AM to 5 PM; $1,000 to Win Bracket Race eliminations at 3 PM; Jet Truck & Nitro Dragster Exhibitions at 4 and 6 PM
    Live bands begin at 7 PM

Sunday: Gates open for participants and spectators at 9 AM; Fun Runs 10 AM to 4 PM;
    $1,000 to Win Bracket Race and $1,000 to Win "Quick 16" eliminations at 2 PM; Jet Truck Exhibitions at 2 and 4 PM

PRICES

3-Day Adult General Admission Pass - $35
    3-Day "Fun Run" Event Entry (Car & Driver) $50
    3-Day Vintage Bracket Racing Entry (Car & Driver) $60
    Swap Meet and Vendor Package (15'x30' space and pair of 3-day weekend passes) $70
    Quick 16 Race Entry (Car & Driver / Includes Sat and Sun GA) $50

Kids 12 and under admitted free of charge when accompanied by an adult

Single day general admission, fun run, and vintage bracket race entry also available

<CENTER>==================================================

Drag Race "Class" Information For 2009 Rock and Race Event </CENTER>

"Vintage" Bracket Class - Saturday and Sunday

$1,000 Win / $300 RU / $100 Semis / $50 Quarterfinals
    1/4 Mile - No Delay Box - Pre 1976 Race Cars, Hot Rods, Bikes, and Classics Only
    15.99 and quicker Dial-In, Full Christmas Tree, Handicap Start

Milestone Services "Quick 16" Class, Presented by Mickey Thompson Tires
    Sunday Qualifying and Eliminations - Optional Saturday Time Trial Session

$1,000 Win / $400 RU / $200 Semis / $100 Quarterfinals (Rd 1 Winners)
    1/8th Mile - Delay Box OK - Any Make, Model, or Year OK - Handicap, .5 Full Tree
    1 Time Trial and 2 Qualifying Sessions on Sunday for Quick 16

The field will be the 8 quickest door cars and the 8 quickest open bodied car, as long as all 16 qualifiers run 5.80 or quicker.

LOW QUALIFYING BONUSES:
    The #1 qualifying door car and the #1 qualifying open bodied car for the Quick 16 each receive a free pair of Mickey Thompson slicks.

12. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I had plans to race.......but bent things up again.........I will be working on solving my engine woes this weekend......hope the weather is good for all of you and all be safe.......Littleman

13. luckydevil

luckydevil

Hey Don you might be happy to hear that The Pussyfoot Girls will not be performing this year..
    This years bands will be.
    Friday
    Gunfire Getdown
    Death By Rodeo
    The Casket Bastards
    Saturday
    Steve and Julies
    Horror of 59
    Rockabye Ransom
    The Rumble Club
    Daikaiju

See you later!!

14. so how was it ???

15. sherm II

sherm II
    from central Pa

just got home as for me and those who went with me(5) all together had a real good time and will go next year for the 3 days .[​IMG][​IMG]

16. Algon

Algon

Other than an excuse to BS with old friends and a few new ones, this is the most pathetic event I've seen yet geared toward anything nostalgia. If you know people there or have something to run you can have a good time for certain but this new cars vs rat billys crap is just insane. New vettes, mustangs and jap bikes WTF? This is the same as any average day at 42 with a higher tag and more hype. There was some cool cars that showed, but the higher cut off/ new vs old ruined it.

My 2 cents would be to work on your own car or hit Canfield for parts instead....

17. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

wasn't planning on going until I recieved call from Crispy [ pistons] broke axle.

grabbed a spare axle, fired up my coupe and drove out to the rescue. Found one HELL of an ASS Kicking event going down ! !

next year will do all three days for sure

18. i especially liked the "nostagia" 80s malibus,tubbed v8 rangers,and five liters.

ha,ha,ha!

i heard they actually made murphy(luckydevil) pay to get in.
    what a kick in the balls.

19. John T.

John T.

Got back late last night from Race Rock at Dragway 42. It was a great event but there were defianatly a bunch of cars that didn't belong! We had a great time, went back and fourth a few times if I was gonna race or not but after getting pushed down the track in my buddy's Hooligan AA/FD while it was running only primed me up.

The video:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Duker3127#play/uploads/3/TpzCQITxQzw

Got back from that and got my suite on and waited in the staging lanes. I had one of the Roadhounds Car Club sons Jeff back me up and get me to the line and he did a great job thanks!! I got a better burnout in this time but still should have hung in there a little longer.

The Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Duker3127#play/uploads/1/joOuquMOXx8

Got the car stage brought the RPM's up to about 3500 this time and the car took off nice and hard. I was only gonna make a 1/8 mile run but it was feelin good so I stayed in it. Bad move, I lost traction around the 1/8th mile and the back end of the car washed out from under me. I quickly corrected it and got out of the throttle. As soon as it was straight I nailed it agian for a second but after thinking just put the clutch in and coasted the rest of the way.

The Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Duker3127#play/uploads/1/joOuquMOXx8

Got back in the pits to reveal I blew a freeze plug out and drenched my back tired in anti- freeze on the run. The video cuts off just short of this, you can see smoke coming out of the car at the at end of the video. That could of been bad, real bad. I suspect I torched another head gasket and and the cylinder pressure went into the cooling system resulting in a bunch of extra pressure to blow out the freeze plug.

I think I'm done for the year now. I have been lucky enough not to really hurt the motor yet so I'm going to take it to somebody who has done Hemi's beofer for a rebuild.

John T.

20. John T.

John T.

21. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

the money I spent to get in , got back in free beer. C'mon Dude the cup was half full man ! the cool clearly outweighed the bogust hands down.

22. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

Again I was a vendor, got the spot I wanted against the fence so I could see the action, camped, hung out with friends, made new ones and sold plenty of Chromedaddyo.com goods. Thanks to all!

Did I like the mix of cars?

No!

HOWEVER!!! Dragway 42 is an historical track from where I have many memories of thier haydays, made some new ones and helped support a track so hopefully it will be there for others after us!

C'mon guys it is not 1965 and never will be again (sorry,if it was we would be watching alot more late models!!!)
    I too wish it could be all gassers and S/S but it's not. Welcome to 2009!
    Dave

23. i dig what you're sayin elvis.
    but i was just dissapointed that it wasnt as good as the previous rock and race events thrown by jim murphy... aka luckydevil.

24. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

yea I know Ex....Jim created a monster over in west salem ! think his efforts will hold fast

25. Algon

Algon

Don't get me wrong 42 is a great place, actually I'd rather go there than a larger event at Norwalk most of the time. I had a great time, but that is from shooting the bull and the crusing in my buddy's 53 BelAir. The show itself the reason you pay to get in....was a let down, with regards to being a nostalgia meet.

No its not going to be 65 again, but its just not what it could have been. Being less greedy, and keeping at least with the 76 cutoff would be all the difference in repeat business from the core group into this stuff.

Thompson does rather well without all this bull, why can't 42? Matter of fact if this rat billy vs new cars thing is the standard for Rock and Race and thats the way its going to be, why can't there be a REAL Gas-Altered-FED event? I'm sure it would do at least as well as anything else.

26. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

"No its not going to be 65 again, but its just not what it could have been. Being less greedy, and keeping at least with the 76 cutoff would be all the difference in repeat business from the core group into this stuff."

We has a long conversation at the fire last night, the answer is $$$$$money$$ for the track,,, sad but true, they saw the cash!

27. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

It was a strange weekend for me...it's the first time I did not make a race because my Truck was broke....I am sure I could have gotten it together but it would have bent itself up again....so I am in time out until it's figured out.....but it sure did feel strange not racing and hanging out with the Slick Devils and seeing everyone................What's this I hear about a bad wreck ,some ratrod that should not have been aloud to go down anyway's from the sounds of it...and no Ambulance was on site ?.........if their was no Ambulance on site..that's not cool.......Littleman

28. Had a good time, dosent bother me with the old cars verse the new cars on friday night....Really liked that red Mazda (?) box with the wicked 4 banger, really did some big wheel stands and was loud! Now there were some cars that should not have been aloud to run on saturday ( 3 late model mustangs, a new vette, and a couple motorcycles including a crotch rocket) and if that trend continues next year, it will be my last. Overall, it was still a fun weekend. Any event that keeps the lanes open for test and tune or fun runs most of the weekend is going to be a hit with me....I will post some pics my 10 year old took in the mourning, need some sleep now....curious if anybody knew the dude that wrecked, hope he is doing ok.....

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  29. Here are some pics my daughter took at the event....

Attached Files:

30. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Thanks for the pics Don. I forgot all about it until about 3 yesterday afternoon :( Maybe next year!