Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front disc brake hose question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modelacitizen, Jul 15, 2009.

1. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I'm putting the front brakes in my model a. I've got the early 80's GM calipers on it. I'm worried that over time the brake hoses could want to loosen themselves from the caliper as the car goes through turns. Any way to defeat this other than just tightening the crap outta the banjo bolt?

2. hvychvy

hvychvy

Could you put steel braided ones on ? They're pretty cheap from speedway,and they have AN fittings.

3. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Yeah its got the braided hoses from Speedway but how does that help me? I'm worried about the banjo bolt loosening from the calipers???

4. triplexkustoms

triplexkustoms

Why would they loosen up? The banjo bolt doesn't move as the suspension travels. You are running flex hoses from the frame to the calipers I hope.

5. hvychvy

hvychvy

Sory,mine has the adapter on the caliper ,goes from 1/8''(or whatever size the caliper is) to AN.Maybe that won't work with the GM,not shure,mine are wilwood.

6. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Haha yes they are flex lines. LOL! Maybe I'm being paranoid. It's not the suspension travel that makes me think this. It's the left and right movement of the caliper as they turn with the wheels. The banjo bolt threads are on the same axis as the turning motion. Would they loosen over time? Like I said, I'm probably overthinking this.

7. you could find the stock style hoses that had the block (and a small lip) and use the crush rings.......but i think your fine the way it is.

8. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

OK..On stock type calipers there is a recessed area where the "block" end of the hose bolts on. There are 2 ears that surround the hose end next to the "block". The ears are what keep the hose from pivoting when you turn the wheels..Properly installed, there is no way the hose can move under normal conditions..
    Dave Lewis

9. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Yeah that's the issue. The speedway hoses I've got don't 'lock' into the recessed area in the caliper. Should I just get the oem hoses?

10. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Do your speedway hoses have the banjo crimped on ? Or do they use an adapter from banjo to -3 ?
    What I have done in the past is make up a spacer to fill in the gap between the ears.
    The only time I have had problems with the banjo coming loose has been if we overextended the hose (usually due to crash damage,,,<race car stuff>
    If you take the time to position the frame end correctly and make sure the hose is long enough you will be OK !
    Dave