Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you fund your projects?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 8Flatliner6, Jul 15, 2009.

1. 8Flatliner6

8Flatliner6

For the past month or so my 53 Bel Air project has sat, I've reached the point where there is nothing more I can do without spending money. I'm 20, in college, and lost my regular job, so I'm working part time doing landscaping. I know a lot of guys may be in the same boat as me, especially with times being kinda rough.

So I'm curious how you guys (and Gals) raise some extra cash for their projects?

2. John Denich

John Denich

I strip on the weekends!

Attached Files:

3. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I buy, sell, save, fabricate. It has been hard to find extra cash this year but I get by just a little slower.

4. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

What the fuck I blew chunks all over my key board!

5. TJratz

TJratz

By putting in 12 to 16 hour days as a natural gas compressor mechanic for a gas pipeline company.

6. cafekid

cafekid

drugs and prostitution....... lol nah its always good to stash some cash for parts that you know youll need soon

7. red3

red3

I sell myself to my wife!

8. 64krusty

64krusty

mastercard & visa

9. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

Work, work, and more work. And talk very little to the Wife. What she doesn't know, won't hurt her. In your case, it takes a little longer to save money on a college wage, but don't get discouraged. We've all been there. No matter how long it takes, make sure you do YOUR best. I would rather see a car built with heart then one built with money any day.Steven

10. LaidoutRivi63

LaidoutRivi63

That was my answer!! I'm in the same boat, college student at 20. Do fab work on the side, bag jobs and small custom stuff. A lot of people do hack stuff that you can make money fixing! Skip meals and cheat parking on campus as well. Can't believe how many hungry days paid for a set of wheel covers or some sheets of 18 gauge...

11. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I trade work on other peoples cars for parts and such.or fabricate my own stuff.

12. B1RDMAN

B1RDMAN

I can usually be found by the garage if I'm home. I do welding side jobs nights and weekends. Just got done makin one of them things that goes in the receiver hitch on a truck. Dude wanted to put deer on it. I made that shit so heavy duty it was around 150 lbs and all re inforced up. Bet he could put a 500" caddy motor on there. lmao. Gotta keep them customers happy.:D:D

13. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I work on stuff that don't require a purchase. Have tons of things to do, might never get to a point where I need to buy anything.........

14. LaidoutRivi63

LaidoutRivi63

Also make lots of friends in the business, that helps a lot when it comes to getting some transmission work or anything else specialty.

15. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

There are so many ways to make jokes but nothing is going to top the stripper pic.
    One of the best ways to fund a build is to look at it as funding a part you need or a phase of the build. Won't seem so daunting then. Sell parts you're not using. Use the barter system. Whatever works.

16. rat pink

rat pink
    BANNED

work for pot growers and
    or moonshiners they alway have money they cant spend legaly so over charge them for every thing!lol that probably only works in humboldt !

17. PeeVee

PeeVee

Took me 3 years to build my truck. Bought one part at a time as I had money. Made lots of trades and bought some used parts. Also fliped a motor cycle bought for 150 off craigs sold for 450 on craigs. Sold a 72 chevy PU for 1000 plus a 86 GSR 750 did not run. Got it running and fliped for 1200. I could almost always find some thing to do on it for little money welding wire and a little metal. I think I have about 5000 in the pickup but it is a great feeling knowing I own it out right. Also ask every one you know about what parts they may have. Just traded a Edelbrock intake and carb for a stereo I had in the box I got for christmas 2 years ago and did not install in any thing and a horizontal band saw I bought for 75 bucks at a yard sale. Can't wait to try out the new intake. I do work at a hot rod shop so maybe I come across more deals that way but some times you find deals in strange places. Just keep you eye out for them and ask people.

18. hbomb60

hbomb60
    from Minnesota

I also have really slowed on my project, money just isn't there. The family always comes first then hot rods next. My best advice to you I found is really set up a plan, which way you want to go with your car. Then you can make the most of your money by only buying parts you need for the steps of the project your in. Every step you make, and finish will keep you motivated. Good luck

19. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

I hustle parts and work at the shop. otherwise....mastercard and visa.

20. Godspeed

Godspeed

21. jlow

jlow
    BANNED

i pimp out my bitches....

[​IMG]

best offer ...oh and teeth are optional

22. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I work. When I'm in school (1 more year thank God), I don't spend a lot on the cars. Bottom line. Sometimes the cars need to sit to take care of more important expenses.

You're in school, so hopefully you'll be working your way towards a degree that will earn you a decent salary. Then you will be able to fund your projects well. Don't be so short sighted. Sacrifice now will pay dividends later

23. Godspeed

Godspeed

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  24. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Sadly, my projects are usually funded by the sale of the previous one.

25. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Took 7 years to finish my car. Over that period I worked not only my full time job but a number of part time nights and weekend jobs to pay for the big ticket items. Saving for big ticket items is not easy. I saved for two years for the money for my interior. Whatever you do do not charge anything. You'll end up paying twice the money for the item, just not worth it.

At 20 I was going to college PLUS had a full time, 40 hour a week job PLUS in the summer I always had a part time job as well. I've never been afraid of working hard to pay for what I want. Oh yeah, did alot of partying too during those collage days. I'm actually surprised I'm still alive.:D

Good luck bud.

26. bcook07

bcook07
    from Illinois

im a 20 yr old college student also. i work at oreillys so the discount helps a ton on my project. i am also working for a guy who builds show trucks out of f100 but is into fabricating custom parts. not just buying them. I have been helping him in exchange for parts. he is also letting me use a corner of his shop and is showing me the ropes. i use my paycheck as much as i can but i also trade labor or other parts for parts i need. i also buy alot of parts and resell them. like i bought a drivetrain from a buddy that he took out of a car he was going to derby. i bought engine and trans for $75. sold the engine for $200 and the trans for $50

27. Besides buying parts,and gettin what you really need- keep working. Doesn't something need to be cleaned,detailed,adjusted,moved or improved? I know what your sayin',but you can keep bizzee doing some overlooked stuff that you might not do with the new part in hand. AND= that shit costs NOTHING!

28. Deadbird

Deadbird

That's some excellent advice right there. Be patient. Get the degree now. Easier to do it when you're young.

29. Dude, family is ALWAYS first. I am lucky enough to have a large emergency fund. But during these hard times, my wife is ultra paranoid about the future so she hates seeing money spent on "the hobby". So, I try to take advantage of opportunities to make money. Like getting a screaming deal on something you know you could fix and turn for a profit. That, to me, is money for the Hot Rod project. If bills are paid, and the emergency blanket doesn't have any holes... GAME ON!
    So if you are working at max capacity, and still need money, just keep your eyes peeled for opportunities to flip sure things.

Worse case scenario- you could always sell your Man-gina.

30. cafekid

cafekid

exactly dude