Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone weld today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INVISIBLEKID, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Thought I'de see who braved the heat today- If it's hot where your at. Right now it's 99 in the shop,and the fans are full peg.I've gotta lay down some beads=inner rockers,and if things go well,I'll hit about 9ft before the nights over.Just dreading suiting up,sweatin' my ass off.I know-step up,of step off! Gotta do what I gotta do. Just bitchin' before I go for it. Ya,it's a little warm,but not hot yet. For you in AZ-sorry! For you back east- I would'nt hang in the winter at all,so props! Bitchfest over-goin to work! I hate this part..........:mad:

2. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Drink water and get it done man! Not quite 99 up here in Berkeley, but feeling for you.

3. Billa212

Billa212
    from Milwaukee

Go for it man! I work in a shipyard in New Orleans as a welder...10 hours a day 6 days a week

4. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Yep, but it was only 68F this afternoon.

5. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

Its high 80's and higher humidity here in kansas and my poor buddy had to walk into the paint booth for over an hour today with the temp inside set a little over a hundred and the humidity no lower! I felt bad for myself having to TIG all day but that poor SOB looked like he went for a swim when he came out!!!

6. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I was close to ya on a rooftop in sanjose a few hours ago welding and sweatin pipe,my trick is get there by six leave by noon!

7. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

114* here... cutting and welding. I looked like a (bad) wet T-shirt contestant by 8am!

8. cafekid

cafekid

yup it was abot 102F in the shop today and i was doing repairs on guys frame all day,,, in my leathers= shitty

9. Hey guys it could be worse!! how about no work?
    Just a thaught.

10. Cshabang

Cshabang

yep...actually, i weld everyday...heat, cold, etc..haha

11. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

Yep, did a little welding today. It was about 72 in the garage.

12. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

It's well over 100 in my shop at ALL times from june through september. I just convince myself I'm workin out.

13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Over a hundred today, has been for awhile. Painted a car today and 885 reducer was spot on! :D

14. bill wallace

bill wallace

Do they still have the garlic festivel in Gilroy & is the flying lady resturant still there. When I used to teach a classe's in San Francisco I liked to go down to Gilroy & up in those hills there used to be all kinds of cars sticking out of barns & buildings. Thats a great place to live & anyone visiting San Francisco should include that area as a must see. Oh yea, its never too hot to weld in the Midwest.

15. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Yes, TIGed thick aluminum for about three hours. Then tuned on a 190 degree 454 the rest of the day. Yes it was hot as hell today in the ass steel building.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  16. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

It was 105 here today and I welded a rocker in. To add I was wearing my hearing muffs while another guy was using his air hammer while I was welding.

17. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Yep. Welded for about 10 hrs today. 105 degrees outside and about 125 degrees in my shop. All the fans around the frame table have to be off while welding...It was pretty brutal but I think my body has finally adjusted to the extreme heat. I've been drinking water like crazy!

18. johnnykck

johnnykck

100+ in my shop here in San Jose today and I welded for about 5 hours. Drank about a gallon of water. All part of the game.

19. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I weld everyday yesterday I had to forge some metal thought I was going to fall out, but its my job. I love my fucking job even when its 104 outside with 2500 degrees of heat coming out of the forge.

Attached Files:

20. tjelwood

tjelwood
    from oklahoma

103 in Oklahoma City today and I welded a tab on my buddies sprint car chassis so he could race friday with a wing slider. This was after sweating for 10 hours in a warehouse. Today was the first day I've been down to the shop after work in about three weeks.

21. 3406kris

3406kris

I put down an entire 33lb spool of 309 ss today. Probably 110 outside and 125 inside? After awhile, you get used to it.

22. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

Humid as hell inside my shop while welding today. Sweated through the leathers in less than an hour. On top of that found out we're cut off from overtime for the rest of the year.

23. roddinron

roddinron

Yep, I'm choppin a 54 chevy and doing a lot of welding. Beautiful day though, 70's I guess, so I opened the doors and enjoyed it. Weather's been perfect lately, warm days and cool nights. We gotta listen to you Cali boys brag about your whether all winter long, now ain't pay back a bitch?:D

24. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

I think the hotter the better, not exactly welding but cleaning out a steel grain bin with only 2 man holes for ventilation, and no wind, and wearing a resperator and scoop shoveling is awesome in the July heat. Makes you feel like your really working and when you get done you feel like your on top of the world. Or maybe I'm just too young to care.

25. well i sure feel better about the 90 degree shop temp I have been welding in :)

26. smarg

smarg

hey if makes you feel any better it was 110 in our shop in Texas

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

not welded but it was hot as crap in the hanger,and close to a hundred degrees with nearly a hundred percent humidity. had to do a bunch of bead blasting, and the humidity was so bad that the combo of it in the air and the dryer for the air line being overwhelmed, media kept sticking tiogether and not flowing right, it's a hundred degrees and even with a big fan two feet away, sweat isn't evaporating, so i'm melting and have to keep beating on the dam cabinet all day. it sucked today. rained for about 30 seconds, so it's like a sauna. My house doesn't have ac, so right now i have about six fans going, and it's not doing crap. MISERABLE!! it's like this most of the summer in these metal buildings. for those of you who don't have gnats, they are a very tiny bug that likes to fly in your face and eyes and mouth, and insect repellent has no effect on them. they are Gods curse on the deep south. Pestilence in one of it's many forms.

28. chopt49

chopt49

Welding and even got the torch out for a spell... 102 out and bashing away - Only way this pc-o-chit will get done...

Drinking A LOT of water!

29. Done! well as far as I got today.Made a brake,bent up some shit,fitted,and melted metal. Sweated like a fat chick at the gym. At least I got something done. Here's the deal with me= READ- pennies make dimes. At least tommorows another day. For all you that went for it=Props! Those who sat on your ass- We''ll be done b-4 you!
    =If you want it bad enough- you'll do what it takes.
    If your lazy=come mow my damn lawn while I work on my car!

30. satanic mechanic

satanic mechanic

I weld 10 hrs a day six days a week in the heat,rain,snow yes outside not in a shop, don't build many bridges in a shop. I am lucky it rarely gets hot up here in British Columbia hottest this year where I am working was about 93 F