Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is Morty discontinuing HOP UP Magazine ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bubba67, Jul 11, 2009.

1. the second last page of HOP UP volume X is the advertisement for (and I quote) an "EXTREMELY Limited Edition ART PRINT-commemorating the cover of our FINAL issue."

2. rick finch

rick finch

Great guy, and a good friend...circulation not enough for the expenditure involved.

3. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

I'm bummed that this is the last issue, but at least he went out with a bang. I just got it in the mail today and it's incredible! Best issue ever, by far.

4. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Thank you Mark, (Morty) for reviving Hop Up and giving us all the great issues,articles and pictures. I'm very glad that my car and my work were selected to be included in these wonderful traditional Hot Rod and Custom books. I'll read them over and over again and wait for his next venture. I'm sure he is not completely done. My condolences to his infamous 19 subscribers.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  5. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

Well, this sucks. I guess it's time for him to think of himself instead of us pukes. Good luck in your endeavors Morty...

6. Remember, There are only 19 of us supporting his ventue. I am so glad he did it for as long as he did. I understand. Mark, If your reading this. Thank you. I appreciate you and your effort and all the people that helped you. I was elated to get my rpu featured in an issue. Just remember what I told you before. I'm here for you on the next chapter. Dale Seaholm. HopUP rules!

7. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I'll miss Hop Up and Morty's work. I hope he does have something else up his sleeve.

That said, he's done it about 5 times as long as the original Hop Up lasted. Thanks, Mark!

8. Damn, that is such a cool "little book", I sure hope they ship some of the last issue, to Canada soon.:( Life just sucks somedays. Thanks for all the fine years, Mort.

9. Bummer for sure. Anyone got an extra volume 4 they can spare?? I lost mine.

Greenmtnboy, what was that? I looked it up and couldn't find a translation. My latin doesn't exist. Silence the truth?

Hows about, "Tarde venientibus ossa" - for those that come late, only the bones

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  10. sileo in pacis veritas......rest in peace truthfulness
    depending on the translator you use :rolleyes:

11. 30on32

30on32

I agree

12. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Shit! Hop Up is my favorite mag, I think it rates with TRJ.

Thanks Morty for puttin' out the 13 issues you did. Great job!

13. krooser

krooser

you an altar boy or sumpin?

14. ronniemckinney

ronniemckinney
    from Alabama

Not to jump off topic but I think they have some major issues going on right now. You're right about the good stuff, I love the editorial, especially here lately but their circulation department leaves a lot to be desired.

Apparently I'm not allowed to subscribe to R&C anymore. I never received my July issue so eventually I called the circ dept to ask about it. They told me I cancelled my sub back in May (obviously I didn't). They apologized and said they would add an additional issue to my sub. I got August a couple of weeks later but never received Sept. It's been on the newstand for a while now and my buddy here in town got his a couple of weeks ago. I decided to call again today and they again told me I would get no new issues as I cancelled my sub back in May. I tried to explain again they made a mistake and they told me the only way to get any new issues was to resubscribe. So, even though my Aug issue says my sub expires Mar 10 and I never received July or Sept (so I'm owed at least 7 issues), I have to buy a whole new subscription to get new issues. No thanks! It's a real shame too because I really like the magazine...

15. Maybe this is why it's ending. I did subscribe, and have every issue. I'm unemployed with no income right now, but still managed to buy the latest, and last issue. Dean

16. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Jason at hot rod garage called just now and said my issue was in....then he told me the news.

This sucks! Does anyone know how many issues he sells a year?

Maybe we can convince Mort to increase the price to make it worthwhile?...I'd pay more...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Knowing Morty a little bit, I'd guess it's not a money issue. Purely speculation, but I'd bet he wouldn't put out an issue that he couldn't put 100% in... Past issues have been incredible and why hurt that legacy? I'd bet it's a time and dedication thing.

I think R&C has been pretty damn good lately. It's not Hop Up by any means, but for a purely commercial endeavor it is good as ya can prolly get in this environment.

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I still bought the issues i own new though, so i guess i did my part atleast somewhat

19. Hop Up is a truely great magazine and I was glad to have been able to read it for so many years. It ranks right up there with Rodders Journal. In fact, in some ways it's better. It really puts you back in time when you are reading. It's sad to see it go, but why not go out with a bang. I thought issue 10 was the best of em all. I'm still trying to get my hands on the first two issues. Best of luck and I can't wait to see what's in store for the future.

20. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

sorry to see it go it always had somethin for me to read.

21. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

any truth to the rumor that he may be selling the title?

not sure it could be as good if it sold to someone else - but it would be nice to keep it rolling

22. doctorZ

doctorZ

that's all you are going to give us?! don't leave us hanging like that ...

23. 10 is a great little book. I have been reading it in my favorite place for a month now. Good Stuff.

24. Now it is a collectors item. Saving all mine for Barret-Jackson when there will be no more cars to auction off.

Hop Up could be back. Like some hit TV shows, there's a re-union. Even the Sienfeld cast is re-united on HBO. So keep yo fingers crossed.

Mikey did it
    www.MikeysPinstriping.com
    "make millions as a striper" (not stripper)

25. swbatt

swbatt

Met Mort in 2006, when he set a class record in Bonneville. Great guy, great magazine. Thanks to him and good luck brother in what ever you do.
    Steve.

26. Just wanted to say, I had to go to a appt this morning that required a lot of waiting and as im heading out the door I grabbed a book for something to read.It just happened to be HOP UP issue #1. I havent seen that issue in a long time.What a great book( i cant even call it a magazine). Mark sure did know what was going on when he decided to resurect ol Hop Up. That issue was just refreshing,dont know how else to say it.Some of today's "traditional" mag's really are clueless and should look at hop up. Thanks again Mark . Hop Up will truely be missed.

27. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Say it ain't so! I get a lot of inspiration from Hop Up.

28. Mr.Dean

Mr.Dean

bye bye hop up you will be missed!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  30. J & D

J & D

I have really enjoyed Mortys HOP UP books. I hate to see them stop. I have them all except # 1, if anyone has an extra copy they would let go let me know. John