Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlaRacingHistory.com

FlaRacingHistory.com
    from Florida

First time I've been on here although a lot of photos from my site have turned up here... Check out www.floridaracinghistory.com... Have a ton of old photos of about every type of race car known...

Here are a few from the site:

1) This car was campaigned by Wayne Davis in North FL/South GA... Photo was taken in 1980 at Lake City Speedway.
    2) This is the late Harvey Jones of Tallahassee, FL... This little car won a bunch of races over the years... Photo was taken at Thunder Bowl Speedway in Valdosta, GA...
    3) Sportsman car built and driven by Miami's Teddy LaFleur in the early '60s...

2. racemad55

racemad55

Lou Lazzaro, All-Star league champion 2 times .

3. yank28

yank28
    from monson,ma

That would be Bill Simons, builder of the 9

4. George M.

George M.

Here's a link to another interesting H.A.M.B thread! Not necessarily Modified related, but some things are better "un-Modified". There's a lot to be said of the "stock" variety! enjoy...http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376791

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Does your brother know you have such thoughts? So much for your modified pedigree! :D

6. George M.

George M.

Uh! Yeah! I think he knows. Believe it or not there's more to life than Modifieds. I think!
    I mean, who doesn't like this...my personal favorite...http://img44.imageshack.us/i/cargirlcopy.jpg/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

8. allstarracing

allstarracing

Merv Treichler's modified at Daytona

[​IMG]

9. allstarracing

allstarracing

Maynard Troyers modified at Daytona

[​IMG]

10. allstarracing

allstarracing

A Tennessee modified up to run with the stockcars at the Fairgrounds track at Campbellsville Ky. At most tracks in southern Ky. and Tenn. there were no rules except no Alcohol for fuel. They drank alcohol not waste it in racecars.[​IMG]:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

11. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

that is probably why this old stock car stuff is so cool to me, once the rules start constricting every thing, it all starts to look the same...
    kinda like the whalen mods today, or the arca cars... mostly just the paint is different now...
    I love these old shots with injected bbc's running right along with others that are just carbed .

I do realize that strict rules promote safety, and there is nothing wrong with that, however I wish it was just rules on safety, and run what you brung on the rest...

12. Amen Jon. The days of multi carbutoration vs injection, straight axle vs, semi elliptic vs independent front suspensions and so much more. Those were the days. This try this out!
    Oh yeah! Let's do it!

Run what ya brung boys.

13. Luke S.

Luke S.
    from Ocala, Fl.

My Dad back in the late 60's at Riverside Park Speedway in Agawam, Mass. Check out all the people in the grand stands! That place was packed then!

Attached Files:

14. monksfan

monksfan
    from fonda n.y.

Thats a shot of Lou I have never before seen.Thanks.

15. Slippery

Slippery

I'll post some vintage Waterford Speedbowl pics as I have time. I have these in high resolution if anybody wants or needs them.

Attached Files:

16. Slippery

Slippery

The next Speedbowl offering:

Attached Files:

17. Slippery

Slippery

....and one more for now:

Attached Files:

18. Zoera

Zoera

Great stuff Slippery, give us some more. We need to see more from the private collections which are in hiding.

19. Carl72

Carl72

A question for the Long Island guys, my first post on this part of the forum ,its so cool looking at the cars I grew up with.I have a question my dad raced at Freeport stadium back in the late 50s/60s there was atleast one year they ran topless racecars can anyone help me on what year that was .

Thanks
    Carl Ross

20. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

GeorgeM will know, I remember when they did that, but I can't recall the year.

21. George M.

George M.

How old do you think I am? Ok...I'm old, but that was just a little before my time, I think! I'm not sure what year that was, but I was a big Islip guy. I'm not that familiar with the old Freeport days. The guy who'd know is Marty Himes. 631-666-4912

22. Slippery

Slippery

More from the Waterford (CT) Speedbowl:

Attached Files:

23. allstarracing

allstarracing

Another modified at Daytona. I have forgotten the drivers name but the car was also in Stockcar racing magizine sometime around 1976.

[​IMG]

24. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

I think it's Johnny Bryant.

25. big-daddy-george

big-daddy-george
    from New York

In response to yesterday's inquiry by CARL72...........................................................The Freeport Open Cockpit Modified Division was a brain child of Promoter Duke Donaldson . The idea of this division was to allow the fans to see their favorite drivers better while they raced. The foundation of the class was an existing division called "Modified Six". All of the cars were six cylinder powered with the make of engine being the same as the frame and body. Slant sixes were the most popular powerplant so there were alot of 1933-34 Dodge and Plymouth bodied cars.There was one GMC powered 32 Chevy. Most of the cars were from the existing class with the roofs cut off and some "X" bars added to the top of the roll cage. Some of the cars were real beautys with alot of exotic engineering for that period.The first full season was 1965, again in 1966 and up to the end of June of 1967 when the drivers went on strike for a guaranteed purse. They soon realized they could not run these cars anywhere else. A few of them came to Weissglass Stadium here on Staten Island but where not allowed to race. They tried to go back to Freeport but Duke Donaldson told them he was drawing the same crowd without them running just Bombers. Most of them returned in 1968 with roofs welded back on under new rules at Freeport. The most radical car built specifically for this division was built by Nick Cottone in Frank Ariano's shop. When I saw it it was a white number 1 driven by Ronnie Schwendenmann. That car was still winning features years later with a roof on it at Freeport driven by Ted Werner,number 19. These cars did enjoy a brief popularity at the stadium. I was very fond of this division and was dissapointed to see it fail. Regards,George LeBlanc....www.weissglassspeedway.com

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  26. Carl72

Carl72

Thank you for the info. George.

Carl
    PS. a massage has been sent to George

27. yvan lacroix

yvan lacroix

Hello

New guy here, from Granby Quebec(Rebel Speedway). This thread is epic in proportions and superb in content!

Here is the car I helped restore , and sponsor, and crew for(a short film can be found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ1m0awVvcw

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We are part of the Quebec Vintage Club
    Here is a little look at who we race with
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKkVhrYdP6Q

This was taken 2 weeks ago in Plattsburg NY(Airborne Speedway)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  28. Buildy

Buildy

"Great photos. Buildy, those were some great shots you got of the Tasnasdy and Olsen restorations, I saw Freddie Hardbach's old ride in the background also. Where were they taken?"

Thanks glad you enjoyed seeing them!

Sorry I took so long to reply. I lost track of this thread.

My photos were taken at Reading PA at the hall of Fame ceremony for the Reading Fairgrounds at the end of June.
    It was at the Reading Baseball stadium.
    I have more photos from there of Modifieds if anyone is interested.

29. Buildy

Buildy

I`ll try to post a few on Friday for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.