Register now to get rid of these ads!

car movies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the "eliterate"redneck, Oct 22, 2006.

1. They did the same thing in the TV show miami vice...when they went to the white testorosa..they couldnt get it to do cookies or a smoky burn out cause the damn the hooked so well so the "stunt" car was a made over pantera..good old ford power.....sorce...believe it or not popular mechanics mag......and about the same when they made the 1st black ferrari out of a vette.........smoked like a bitch but looked good

2. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Sometimes They Come Back
    Black Cadillac

3. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Now you got me started...

Thunder Road - Robert Mitchum runs moonshine
    The Last American Hero - Jeff Bridges runs moonshine then makes it in NASCAR.

Fast and the Furious - The original 1955 version. Kind of the Fugitive meets a sports car race.

The Racers - Kirk Douglas in F1

On the Beach - There is a nuclear war and the only survivors are Australia and the crew of an American sub. While waiting for the radiation to kill them all they still put on the big sports car race. Fred Astair drives a lovely Ferrari 750 Monza and if you look real close you can see Max Balchowski in his Buick powered Doretti.

The Fast Lady - Another British film from about 1962. Nerdy guy who doesn't like cars meets gorgeous girl who loves sports cars. So he buys a sports car (a '20s Blower Bentley) and learns to drive it to impress her. There is a great scene where he dreams he's driving the Bentley in the British Grand Prix and beating all the BRMs and Coopers.

And one of my favorites, Girls Town with Mel (The Velvet Fog) Torme and Mamie van Doren. There are two car gangs, one drives hot rods the other sports cars (hey I don't make this stuff up!) Great scene is a chicken race in the LA River. Mel Torme in his Triumph TR2 against a guy in a T-bucket. They go side by side as fast as they can with their hands in the air. Of course it's easy to steer a TR with your legs so the te T-bucket wrecks out. This one also had Norm Grabowski, Paul Anka and the Platters.

Here's a good place to find oddball "B" movies.
    http://www.thevideobeat.com/

4. Forgiven.:D BTW only those first three sucked. I didn't actually see the last but I'm sure it sucked, too. I will judge a book by it's cover this once.

5. Thanks, I actually liked the first because of the Charger and the second for the ultimate ponycar recreations. I think the only American iron in three is the bastardized Rustang and a Monte Carlo. Neither of which trips my trigger so the magazine article will have to satisfy my curiousity about it. I would rather watch Bruce Dern hosting lost Drive in with an Evel Knievel movie.

6. But they wrecked it!
    I have the Evil Knevil movie(the one with George Hamilton)on DVD.

7. They could have wadded up the ricer but the kids in the theater would have been let down and not bought any Nawss or copies of the dvd. They would have been inspired to build honking V-8s that put out prodigious amounts of torque.

8. Well if we're bringin' up crap from the rising sun..we might as well throw in MUNSTERS REVENGE where they ship the munster coach to england to race the little sports cars...of course the ford rules there too!:D

9. Got that one on DVD too. I'm a car-flick nut!

10. roddinron

roddinron

Hot Rod Girl - 1956
    Hot rod rumble - 57
    Hot rod gang - 58

11. figures!:D and dont ferget rebel of the road aka hotrod...RD Ill get that list together this week been slammed here lately

12. motorhead711

motorhead711

Here's some of the car movies I have in my collection...

Christine
    American Graffitti
    More American Graffitti
    Grease
    Grease II
    Duel (not really hot rod stuff, but the diesel that chases that guy is FRIGHTENING!)
    Hollywood Knights
    King of the mountain
    Two Lane Blacktop
    Sometimes they come back
    Eat my dust (with ron howard)
    Moonrunners (movie that spawned the dukes of hazzard)
    The Last American Hero
    Stroker Ace (Mmmm "hold on boys, I'm gonna have to stand on it!!"
    Greased Lightning
    Funny car summer
    White Lightning
    Gone in 60 seconds (original)
    Cannonball run
    Blues Brothers
    Burnout (1979)
    Corvette Summer
    Drag Racer
    Boulevard Knights (bad ass low riders in that movie)
    The Wraith (with Charlie Sheen)
    Mad Max
    Road Warror
    Spinout! (with Elvis)
    Streets of Fire
    A small town in texas (Bo hopkins and timothy bottoms)
    Roadracers (with david Arquette)
    The Wanderers (cool old rides, and come on..."leave the kid alone!"
    Dazed and Confused
    Rebel without a cause
    CONVOY ( I know, not really cars, but damn gotta love the rubber duck)

...sucks though because I have to keep my VCR in good shape because most of these are still on VHS. I had a friend transfer a few of them to DVD and the quality was the same. Oh well, at least the disc format may last longer than the VHS stuff.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  13. edsel

edsel

What about Attack of the Giant Gila Monster (lots of traditional hot rods) and both Hot Rod movies the early one with cut down jobs and the later (70's) one with the Willies , then there is the T-Bird Gang ,grand theft auto (Ron Howard) The Adventures of Ford Fairlane (awesome 57 ford) and The Devil on Wheels. there are some more but my memory sucks and they are still loaned out .

Edsel

14. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Not a car movie, but I saw the new Friday The 13th the other night and one of the main characters had a Russetta Timing Assn shirt on through the whole movie. The movie sucked though.

15. slow cheetah

slow cheetah
    from missouri

Hotrod AKA...."rebel of the road"

16. 454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR

454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR
    from Selden, TX

Eat My dust with Ron Howard is pretty cool, also if your in to old 50's sci fi, The Giant Gila Monster (1959) has a lot of teenage hot rodders and their cars in it, great fun if you like that kind of thing.

17. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

18. MGGeerJr

MGGeerJr

No one has mentioned Hot Rods to Hell, I saw it on Speed Chanel a few years back. Terrible movie, cool cars and good looking girls. Maybe it wasn't too bad after all.

19. Rust Monkey

Rust Monkey

White Lighting with Burt is pretty decent, watching that big-block 4-speed LTD is worth while entertainment!

20. His name was "Gator" and the crooked cops killed his brother, right? That was a 429? I remember the black finned valve covers.:D

21. A little off topic, but...

"They could have wadded up the ricer but the kids in the theater would have been let down and not bought any Nawss or copies of the dvd. They would have been inspired to build honking V-8s that put out prodigious amounts of torque. "

... reminds me of the conversation that my 15 year old nephew and I were having via Facebook the other night. He suggested that I run straight pipes on my Plymouth (440 powered car), and I agreed that it would sound cool, but said that I was more interested in hearing how good or bad that straight pipes would sound on my 49 Dodge truck (that is going to be sitting on a '95 Dodge Dakota chassis with a 3.9 V-6). He sent me a link to a YouTube video of some tuner kid's truck with straight pipes on it, which reminded ME to send him the link to the HAMB page with the guy driving the Hemi powered 5 window with straight pipes...!!! That boy got religion that night!!! THANKS to whoever put that video up!!! I've watched it at least five times and get a kick out of it every time!!!

Nobody has mentioned "Blues Brothers". It's a little off the usual HAMB path, but where else can you see a BUNCH of cop cars crashing and a car being driven over 100+ mph through downtown Chicago... through a plate glass window... at speed on Lower Wacker Drive...(that's where they have that Picasso!!!)???
    <!-- / message -->

22. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

You hit the jackpot there! The lively set has the best-looking channeled 29 I've seen, plus later on it has one of Ermie Immerso's streamliners in it. As for King of the Mountain, what else does a guy need to know besides a hopped up Porsche Speedster racing Dennis Hopper in a 'vette?

23. roddinron

roddinron

I'll throw in an odd ball just for fun. An old movie called "If I had a Million" where WC Fields get's a million $ and he and his wife use it to buy a fleet of used cars and use them to get revenge on their pet peeve, road hogs, by running them off the roads.
    While we're on WC fields, check out "never give a sucker an even break" the car chase scene at the end is wild. OR, WC in "The bank dick", for another really crazy car chase.
    I know none of these are what you'd consider "car movies", but for a car guy, they're worth watching just to see the roads filled with shiny new 30's cars (even if a lot of them do get destroyed).
    The temperatures are in the teens tonight, so I'm watchin old movies.:D

24. lorodz

lorodz

hollywood nights,,,

25. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Both Vanishing Point movies are my fave...and a new version coming in summer 2010, featuring a 2010 Challenger....Go Kowalski!

26. Vanishing point is still my all time favorite.. a classic Mopar and miles and miles and miles of desert.. ok so whats this with a '10 remake?????????? Imdb'ed it and didn't get a thing...

27. Repo Man. Gotta love Harry Dean Stanton and Emilio Estevez and Tracey Walter.

28. indygasser

indygasser

29. T Achilli

T Achilli
    from walworth

Love me some Duel, always a soft spot for 70-72 Valiants and Darts
    Nobody mentioned Gumball Rally yet, Ac Cobra vs Ferrarri Daytona
    two Sci Fi Death Race 2000 with Carradine and Stallone (sooooooo Bad)
    and I forget the title I think Cherry 5000, robot chick with a Mustang

My most Recent Fav because of holidays is Christmas Story ,kids walking through roadster body and other kids sitting on back of coupe body.

30. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Here's a real blast from the past ,Mickey Rooney in the Big wheel ,Great movie about 30 's race cars .I saw it once when I was younger .I don't remember to much about it ,But there was alot of racing in it. Just looked it up,Its about racing in indianapolis speedway 1949