Register now to get rid of these ads!

buying my 2nd hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Topolino Kid, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Fenders

Fenders

Did you get the wire covers with it? All the photos show hemis without the spark plug wire covers. Watch out when it rains, the tubes will fill up.
    Nice engine but I like them with the wires hidden.

2. no i didn't get the wire covers...seems they have a habit of getting lost thru the years...i need to read more , seems i saw a pic with 426 plug wires with sealing boots???i have also seen repop covers but they are for the dimpled valve covers..but am still looking for a set of wire covers for it...and trying to find options for intakes, wonder if M/T or anyone ever made valve covers for a 315/325.....

right now i'm waiting for the trans adaper and the flywheel to catch up...and then i need to find a carb and going to clean it up a bit internally and try to get it to fire up...oil looks good, under valve covers are really clean...not what i expected for an older motor with none detergent oil for most of it's life....it was sold as a good running motor by a guy who seems to have a good reputation..goal is to get it running, fabbed into Lil Beast and rebuild it after i have gotten the car rolling and moving on it's own,,,,,

till then i just keep wipeing the drool off my chin:eek:

3. Chally

Chally

There is a guy on eBay that sells very nice re-pop wire cover for the baby Dodge Hemi!!!

That's his web site above...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You got that right on the 12 steps...one leads to 2 leads to 12...

What a great disease...

4. are the desoto covers and the 315 the same??other then the dimpling??????

5. Chally

Chally

Dodge and Desoto are 2 different animals...

Dodge are 18 1/4 inch overall length...
    Desoto are 18 15/16 inch...
    Chrysler are 19 13/16 inch...

The Dodge 241 270 are the same as the Dodge 315 325...

6. so is that just for the wire covers???or is it valve covers also ??i know hot heads list different intakes for the 315/325 and the 241/270......

7. Chally

Chally

18 1/4 is the overall length of the wire cover only...the Dodge cover...

The overall length of the valve/rocker cover is 19 inches for the Dodge...

This should be true for all true Dodge engines which are the 241 270 315 and 325.

The 241 and 270 use a different intake than the 315 and 325. The 315 and 325 used a taller block. You can not use a 315 325 intake on the low deck 241 270 BUTT I have heard of people using 241 270 intakes on the 315 325 with the use of a spacer...

NoTe...according to my parts Bible valve covers are the same within auto makes...

All Dodge should fit all Dodge...
    All Desoto should fit all Desoto...
    All Chrysler should fit all Chrysler...

Just remember that some Dodge trucks used some Chrysler engines [331 ('54 to '56) & 354 ('56 to '59)] in a few of their trucks...It also looks like in '57 that a Dodge Poly was available in a Desoto...And don't forget the bumped covers if you have adjustable rockers...Just try to keep that all straight...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  8. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

You would need spacers around 2 inches thick to use a 241-270 intake on a 315-325. :D

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YEAH! What is that?? I've kind of develeloped one too?? :eek: Strange.

10. received my repop wire covers today...nice stamping job..well packaged.shipped very fast...and they look cool.....i still like the pics with the covers off and the sealing boots...hell i just like looking at hemi's:D....so i bought these while they were available...wonder what wires to use under the covers??pics later, it was a brutial day today at work..........

11. came home from work yesterday and the adapter and flywheel that was part of the deal with my hemi had arrived...sweet ass looking chunk of aluminum!!!all the hardware for bolting it up and the flywheel even had the bushing in it...and the starter is relocated to the passengers side.....very nice work...now to find a carb that would work, and i'm just about ready to fire it up....do a lil cleaning and double checking on the engine, going to pull the intake and valley cover just to make sure there's nothing in there that shouldn't be....motor was stored very nicely......... i pulled the left valve cover the day it arrived on the shipping truck amd it looked nice and clean under it....getting closer ....never have heard an old hemi running before.......:eek:....

12. riceman

riceman

When are you going to stick a BLOWER on that ? That is like chinese food and soy sauce.

Attached Files:

13. Just keep in mind that those hemi's really stink bad when running, especially on 95% nitro. Kinda runs the purty women off. Know what I mean.......

14. riceman

riceman

Like Donovan said "No tits in the pits ! "