Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Traditional Ford Brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodored, Jul 9, 2009.

1. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Hello all,

Wanted to make you aware of a new book that I have written on traditional Ford brakes. This book is a how to on the F100 drum brake conversion on early Fords for those wanted to maintain the traditional look. It gives part numbers, step by step photos, and trouble shooting tips. I have been selling it on Ebay for a while now, and have very good feedback. The cars pictured are cars I built, and the experience is my own trial and error.

I was inspired to write the book as most of the information on drum brakes was not to be found in any one place. Vern Tardell had done a great series on F100 steering boxes, so I was really just following his lead.

Attached Files:

2. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

speedway sells one, is that it?

3. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Yes, that is the same one.

4. Fenders

Fenders

This info is on the internet but there is nothing like holding a book in your hands (especially while on the throne!)
    I have written and published a few books for hobbyists (totally outside the car field) and I congratulate you on your efforts. Good luck and many sales!

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You could also do an F-100 brakes search here on the HAMB and print your own book. for free!!:eek:

6. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

I agree the information is available almost anywhere, but the problem that I found was it was not in one place and there is always some important detail that is left out. Its like the issue of brake shoe grinding. I had never heard of the practice, much less knew that there was a machine that did it. After riding around in the coupe with the brakes high-spotting, I started asking more experienced mechanics that actually fixed cars in the 1940s what the deal was. From that conversation I also then learned about cams on the brake shoes (1940) and how they adjusted the '40 brakes back in the day.

Hope that my struggles can help another builder out.

7. full race

full race
    from florida

Grat book i used it