Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 Olds 88 303 motor - it ain't pretty & it's stuck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZZ-IRON, Jul 5, 2009.

1. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Got this stuck 50 Olds 303 motor & Hydramatic + other goodies from a guy, it looked better in the truck then i opened it up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

with 30 bolts to remove from the torque converter/ flywheel, my plan is to lift the trans & crankshaft as one then remove the bolts and get at the crank bolts remove the hydro

[​IMG]

Ever thought about starting a motor that's been sitting open

it's hard to know whats inside, well a picture is worth a 1000 words

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took the oil pan what you see is cotton, jute carpet mat the mice stored & a mouse
    lots grease & oil - none of it is dirt
    Rob said it was a Rat motor
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Was told you can't get the Hydramatic off a a motor that's stuck had a few ideas that worked

Had trouble with 2 rod nuts near the cylinders took a long time to get them out
    next knocked the 2 dowel pins into the block to separate the block and trans

[​IMG]

rotated the flywheel & crank to remove the 30 converter bolts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the 30 bolts were removed

[​IMG]
    It's apart - block with the stuck pistons - flywheel - Hydramatic & crankshaft

might try to knock the pistons out of the block later

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  3. 55 Post

55 Post
    from So Cal

Wow, that's crazy!!

4. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

Been there & done that before on one of those. Real fun huh?

5. full race

full race
    from florida

Cool pics thank for post

6. Damn, that's even uglier than the Canadian alum. flathead I had until a few years ago.
    Neglect and weather sure take their toll........

7. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Don't worry, it will all be worth it! Get some hardwood blocks, a big ass hammer and get to work knocking out the pistons!

8. RacerRick

RacerRick

Don't knock out the pistons. If you cylinder walls are not busted now, they will be when you are done.

Either melt the pistons out with a torch, or take a drill and drill holes in them until you can knock the centers out, then a hacksaw blade until you hit the rings, and a cape chisel to collapse the piston onto itself. Those early olds can be bored a long way and that block is more than likely savable if you don't wreck it taking the pistons out.

9. A few years ago I field-pulled a hydro off a '56 Pontiac motor that was set up, same deal, pop the pan, pull the crank with the trans. I have to think once in a while you'll get one that's stuck in a position you can't get on some rod bolts, but for the most part you can get enough room that if you have to you can spin the trans case (or the bellhousing some cars use with the Hydro) around to get to the converter bolts.

Easier than moving the rest of the car's going to be, that's for sure.

10. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

For that block.

I've got a little outboard boat engine which had been dipped in the sea water quite a few times and was left sitting for quite while. Crankshaft and all was seized. Left it soaking in Diesel for one night and did the jub.

Maybe sticking the block in Desel for up to a month might do the trick????

Just my 2 cents....

HC.

11. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

We tried to knock out some real bad stuck pietons and the block cracked in the process.
    So we did another one by drilling out the center of the pistons then take out the rest with a hammer and a drift. That worked and we saved the block. It was a 409.

12. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

had two rod nuts in a no access position i thought till Chuck came over, we used a 9/16 universal socket barely got it on, then the breaker bar and a pipe did the trick next step was to chisel the nuts, glad the breaker came through