Register now to get rid of these ads!

47-48 chevy suspension???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bn48chevy, Jul 7, 2009.

1. bn48chevy

bn48chevy
    from nd

i have a 47 chevy fastback that i am working on it is going to get airbagged but i am wondering what would be the best riding setup and easiest i have looked into mustang 2 setups and have read that they do not ride as well as a nova or camaro front setup i also have an s10..i am keeping original frame from firewall back so i would just be stubbing it i am looking for opinions and ideas of what would be the best ride quality and easiest to do....also i have seen a pic on hear of a homemaid mustang 2 setups...i would just like to see if anyone else has done this and just pics and info on what other people have for front suspension o these type of cars...thanx in advance

2. Should be able to put a Jag XJ6 on there just like on a 49-52 Chevy.

Nova and Camaro are too wide.

S10 may work.

I'll never understand why people think changing out the entire frame is easier than just unbolting the stock front end for something else on these Chevrolets.

3. 68-74 Nova & 67-9 Camaro (&clones) subs DO work if you use drum brake fronts, but don't butt-weld the two together, lap the frames; the Chevy frame will sit rite on the Nova rear frame arms, PM me for pics, info...
    [​IMG]

4. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

A stock Must. II crossmember fits in the '46-'48 Chevys like it was made for it. Don't let people tell you it's too lightweight, the V-8 Must II's had the engine placed right on top of the crossmember, in the Chevy the engine centerline is behind the crossmember. I've had mine in since '93 and it's fine.

5. bn48chevy

bn48chevy
    from nd

has anyone put an s10 stub on a factory frame? any ideas or pics?

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

We used a 78 camaro frontend on ours with the front steer and it worked out perfect!! Rearend worked good too with a 2" block and the stock rear springs.

7. bn48chevy

bn48chevy
    from nd

nobody has ever used an s10 clip?

8. bn48chevy

bn48chevy
    from nd

i realy need some opinions i am trying to decide what direction i should go...i have a 48 chevy fleetline the car will be getting air bags all around..i am not sure on motor yet but possibly bbc if motor makes a difference.... i am thinking about either clipping it possibly with an s10 or i could get any other clip....or it may get a mustang 2 setup....i also am not sure about the rear frame yet either it is in pretty good shape and i want to be able to go with a 3 or 4 link setup in the rear to go with the bags and i am going to have to have a notch in rear so possibly build my own rear frame or would i be better off using stock and just putting a notch in that one? wondering if the stock frame will be able to handle the power the rear is getting tubbed....i am open to ideas and help....sorry if i did not type this very clear...thanx in advance

9. bn48chevy

bn48chevy
    from nd

also just wondering it anyone has ever bagged the stock front suspension...i have seen it done to some of the chevys from the 50's but wondering if it has been done to a 47-48 chevy or if this is a bad idea

10. badsco

badsco

My 47 Olds had a 67-9 camaro clip in it when I got it. No motor in it and looks like the width is ok. I started getting into it over the weekend and as I lower it, the track widens a bit as the control arms approach horizontal. I'm an air ride guy myself, and hate having to untuck the front to drive/turn, and as it sits now, I wont be able to drive hammered, that I know, though it would probably have been ok if I didnt want to set it as low as I do.

My current thinking is an S10 partial frame swap and am looking for a cheap donor. I hate getting into someone elses work, so will probably lob the frame off behind the camaro clip and start grafting there. S10 frames seem a bit narrower overall than what ours are by a few inches, but havent done precise measuring yet.
    My car is the small one, the series 66, so a regular cab long box is only 2 inches shorter wheelbase than mine. There is a lot of info on S10 frames out there, looking at the S10 frame specifications, they are fairly flat, as are the floors in these cars, so a complete frame swap would be probably pretty easy. The back of the S10 frame though by the rear axle kick-up is too flat to really lay the car out, so a notch will be needed.

As for bagging the S10 frames - very easy and you can buy a bolt in kit (suicidedoors.com - S10 and air ride guru's) 2nd gen camaro clips are easy to bag too if you go that way, I put one in my 60 Buick. That car is a perfect example of using a suspension that is nice and narrow in the car - I can drive it an inch off the ground and get full turn and lay it out with the wheel cut hard and never hit a fender. I'm hoping for the same from the S10 frame in the Olds.