Register now to get rid of these ads!

ALTERNATIVES to chrome plating? Durashine, powder-coating, paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Buzznut

Buzznut

I posted this in the other chrome thread, but I think it's worthy of it's own thread.

I have wondered for a very long time about THREE different alternatives to chrome...maybe some of you have too.

1) That chrome paint...not the fizzcan stuff but the REAL chrome paint that requires special equipment and contains real silver. Saw the stuff at SEMA and it was amazing how MUCH it looked like chrome. I'm wondering about cost and wether or not anyone has done this.

2) Is there anything close to Edelbrocks Durashine that commercial powdercoating shops are able to spray? That stuff looks exactly like chrome and I can't imagine it would cost nearly as much. Does Edelbrock sell the Durashine system as a stand alone product or service?

3) Is there another type of powdercoat or paint that consumers are able to use that looks at good as either of the products above?

Honestly, if it looked as good as chrome or VERY close that would be good enough for me. Anyone have any ideas or experience with alternative to chrome?

2. EricE

EricE
    from Tennessee

As far as the Edelbrock finish, I was under the impression that it was a ceramic finish like used on headers. I've seen headers done under tthe brand name Ceramichrome.

3. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I have one of the Endurashine intakes. You never need to polish it. I just wipe it off and it looks as good as the day I bought it.

4. Buzznut

Buzznut

I know...that's why I think it would be a great chrome alternative. The guy who opens shop offering this will make a fortune for sure. (especially since the Nazi's at the EPA are systematically shutting every chrome facility down one by one)

5. coletrickle

coletrickle

i do a lot of stuff other than headers in ceramachrome like hood hinges grills h/l surrounds body mouldings they look great and all base metals gives the same shine and u don't need to polish it.If you are in so cal u could try specalized coatings i think thats their name or call brooks brown at mesa hose he's got their number or send it to me in australia (lol).

6. Buzznut

Buzznut

LOL...yeah, my bumpers get to take a vacation down under...I can't imagine what THAT would cost in shipping alone. I've heard of Specialized but thought they only did heat resistant coatings which are pretty expensive...I'll check them out.

7. coletrickle

coletrickle

the ceramachrome is a heat coating,we do an average set of headers for around 4 around $330 -$400 aus(including 100% internal coating) a pair as a guide and my supplies comes from the states.How much r you guys paying to have a set of headers coated?I might have to move to the states and start up my own shop!

8. Buzznut

Buzznut

I'm not sure what the exchange rate is right now, but isn't your money worth more than ours? I think last time I checked a set of cast iron ramshorns were around $250 inside and out, but you wouldn't have the extra costs of shipping the products from here to you. Also, ramshorns require less material than full headers, but probably just as much prep work.

9. coletrickle

coletrickle

rams horn run about $175 and the aussie dollar worth less than the us not sure how much but at those prices i guess i'll be staying down here!

10. striper

striper

The Aussie dollar is moving around between 75 and 80 cents US at the moment.

I used the Jet Hot coating on my headers and also my Hallock style screen...the one that looks like aluminium. I noticed on their website a new product called Sterling that looked a lot like chrome in the pics. It doesn't have as high a temp rating as the other ceramic finishes but it looked good. I haven't seen it in person though.

11. Buzznut

Buzznut

Not sure if you've been paying attention to what is going on here in the U.S., but you're probably better off. (EDITED)

I'm just curious if the Durashine finish can be duplicated, or if Edelbrock has come up with something that no one else can reproduce....

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  12. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I would give Edelbrock a call and see if any one else is doing this. I wonder if this finish was theirs from the beginning or did they buy someone out.

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

don't ruin a decent thread with stupidity, politics are a no no.

and good chrome is hard to beat. to get even close with powder coating is a royal pain and it's still not there. The EPA is not closing down chrome shops, they are closing themselves down, they know the rules and don't follow them, that shit is dangerous. I see the same with paint shops.

14. rick finch

rick finch

You are correct sir!;)

15. Weasel

Weasel

There ain't no substitute for real hexavalent chrome and there are no shortcuts either if you want it to look good. Been there, done that. Cheap is cheap for a reason and 'reasonable' is a cheap euphemism for cheap.

For Endurashine type finish www.pvdcoatings.com

Spray on 'chrome' - forget it. www.alsacorp.com.

If you have not seen it with your own eyes, do not believe it - end of story.

16. Weasel

Weasel

Endurashine is a powder coat type finish. Follow my link to American PVD coatings above.

17. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have a friend that has a pair of headers with the ceramic coating from Sanderson and really look nice . Not that big shine like chrome but a whole lot easier to keep clean .
    But nothing replaces that great shine like good chrome part ! I don't mean that cheap shit from china in the parts store either !

18. 85-percent

85-percent

My 2 cents

painted chrome is expensive as far as paint goes, but cheaper than chrome, but not cheap. being paint it must gotta be less durable than chrome, no doubt.

powder coat - always looks like silver grey paint.

edelbrock durashine - looks like it can only be gotten on edelbrock products.

real chrome - we suspect the EPA is behind what makes this so expensive.

caswell chrome kits - sparks my imagination - i have to research them some more. might be reasonable money for home made real chrome on small parts.

sooooooo,

real chrome plating - maybe somebody will invent cheaper environmentally safe process/chemicals?

FINALLY, my conclusion, based on brainstorming and daydreaming is:

HOT METAL (plasma) spraying

why not flame coat nickel, polish it up, and then flame coat chrome and then polish it up? Never seen anything about it, therefore either I'm a genius, or it's never been successfully done? or powder coat clear after polishing?

comments, please.

-90% Jimmy

ps - why not powder coat clear over buffed BARE STEEL?

19. brewsir

brewsir

Anybody used the spectra chrome?? Looks good in pictures and the samples I have seen.

20. Nothing can replace real chrome.

21. Buzznut

Buzznut

I've seen nickel plating without the chrome layer and on the right rod with the right color scheme it looks badass! I wonder how much less the chrome shops would charge if you left it at nickel and had them polish it call it good?

As far as Durashine, I agree that it doesn't look 100% like chrome, but it's pretty darn close. I'm not building an easter-egg bright shiney pick-up, mine will be suede with steelies and I personally don't think a Durashine finish on the bumpers and grille would look out of place or cheap...my humble opinion only.

22. I had a gunmaker nickel plate the headlight stands on my old T. Most shops would prob charge you the same since the prep work takes the same amount of time. I polished my own parts so all they had to do was drop em in the tank. It DOES not hold up as well w/o the topcoat of chrome...........but you are right, I dig the look.

23. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

Linkee no workee, I reckon it's
    www.pvdcoatings.net

PVD = Physical Vapor Deposited
    google "pvd coatings" for lots of links.

24. It will look like the chrome powder coat when done. I tried that.

25. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

Edelbrocks process is a proprietry vacume electrostatic deposition,owned by the Du Pont corporation .Anyone can lease the process and plant equip if they have loooots of $$$$$ .It uses no metal polishing or acid baths.Way of the future my friend.

26. Buzznut

Buzznut

If DuPont owns it and ANY shop can lease the rights to do it, it would seem to me that a smart investor would do exactly that and offer it as a chrome alternative. IMO it looks great and the only problem I see is the prep...seems like the surface would have to be PERFECT prior to depositing the finish.

27. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Hi to you all nice people..My name is Marvin and I am from nicaragua I own a Medium Chrome Plating Business and I will be building my own DuraShine system to go along my Chrome plating business

but Why and How?

Why? money saving....
    How? easy.. I will still use the real plating on industrial parts, and Spray on Chrome System on plastic parts(home built System and automotive Polyurethane clearcoat) and my home brew DuraShine System(Spray on chrome + Clear PowderCoat) for wheels, intakes and any other metal parts that can take the heat and are intended as Show use instead of Industrial usage

I am the only guy Chrome Plating in Nicaragua and as soon as I finish my System I will posting How you can do it too... :D