Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 6,000+ trip around the USA in a Flathead '32 Roadster to LA Roadster Show- Pt 3 of 3!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChevyGirlRox, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Megan, thanks for taking the time to include us on your's and matt's trip...

2. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

i know most of us would dream of taking a trip like that

3. What a great post. I really appreciate the effort that you put into this post. What is so neat is that I am going to make the same trip in reverse starting Aug. 1. You have really helped me by showing what I can look forward to.
    You are quite a gal.
    Thanks again.

4. Thanks for taking the time to shoot the pictures and share with us. I always think about doing that, but I find it takes too much time, and, well..........being a selfish pr*ck, I just go about my business of having fun. Thanks for not being "selfish" and sharing!!:D

5. alumslot

alumslot

All I can say is thank you for taking me on The great American hot rod adventure. It was a great adventure.

6. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I thank you also. What a trip:D

7. LabRat

LabRat

A genuinely moving thread , heart and soul .... be proud guys !

8. 63Compact

63Compact

Thanks for sharing your adventures again good to see some places I visited and some new, cant wait to do it again.

9. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Thanks for posting this for all of us to enjoy. 6000 mi's with only those minor problems says a lot for that '32. This was one good read!

10. MissPrint

MissPrint

X2!!! Phenomenal. . .simply phenomenal. . .Thank you so much for sharing your adventures. . .I cannot wait to follow in your "footsteps" (albeit with a Y block, and an Edsel instead of a flathead ;)).

Megan = Ruler. Plain and simple. :cool:

11. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Thanks for taking us on your trip. That looks like it was a blast. I have made the trip from Ca. to Mass. twice. There is alot of beautiful country to be seen.

Glad you both made it back ok. The coupe seemed to do really well from your documentation.

What was with the black and white bowling ball bag that is in quite a few pics?

12. woodbox

woodbox

Megan, Thanks so much for The great American hot rod adventure story. I always look forward to your roadtrip stories. A trip like this is on my bucket list for sure.

13. you and matt rule !! sounds like the flathead never missed a beat

14. hershambob

hershambob

wow what a trip,,,what sort of milage to the gallon did you get out of the flathead???

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing your trip with the rest of us. I just spent the past two hours enjoying the photos and the detailed commentary that you posted with them. I've done several of those same roads but the trips were mostly the "gotta make miles in a hurry" kind with the destination being more important than the trip and the adventure.

16. seriouslybaby

seriouslybaby
    from small town

Awww, i'm sad it's over!! this was such an amazing post!! glad you guys had a fun & safe trip!!

17. Michael_e

Michael_e

Thanks to the both of you for this trip. I really enjoyed it. Now, can you do something similar for Bonneville 09?

Mike

18. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Some info about the roadster:

The motor is a 51 Ford Flathead 8ba 239ci Bored 30 over with a 4" crank and a slightly hotter cam

The rear is 4:11 but it does have a Mustang T5 transmission

Average gas mileage on the highway was 25 mpg, 18-20 mpg in the city

They are the 'big buck' Excelsiors and we LOVE them. They have 15,000 miles on them. The fronts are ready to be replaced, the rears are still ok. Air pressure in the front tires- 32 Rear tires- 30

Average operating temps was 160 on the plains and 200 on the hills (I'm so proud :D)

We used 8-10 quarts of oil and completed one oil change once we got to California

We topped the Flatty off with water every time we stopped. It never boiled over/steamed, came awfully close heading up Donner Pass in Sacramento traffic in 95 degree weather.

19. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

thank you for keeping me in touch with my voyueristic side.

20. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

Thanks for sharing, that was a buncha pics to post and a whole lot of typing.

Great read, I really enjoyed it.

-W

21. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Megan.......it's a wonder we didn't pass you on the PCH going north as we were heading south!!......wonderful trip account..........I enjoyed your pics and comments immensely.....

Brucie

22. bluesman

bluesman
    from spring tx

23. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

Great road adventure/story. Thanks.

24. Best read I've had in ages. Fantastic, love the PCH must be great in a roadster as well.

Thanks, superb write up

25. The 3 episodes really took took some effort to get written up, sorted, and posted I'm sure. Thanks so much, really appreciate you takin' time for us HAMB folks. Wonderful job!! If there's a post on the car somewhere, please throw a link out. Thanks again.

26. maniac

maniac

Thanks for taking the time to post all the pics, I enjoyed every one, having made the trip out in 1989, it sure brought back lots of memories for me.

27. Savannah Red

Savannah Red

Thank you both for taking the time on your adventure to photograph all
    this great stuff & the hard work it took to put this together !!! In a word
    Awesome !!

28. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Thank you so much for the time and effort to post such a great adventure. I think my favorite pics were the ones of the Army Air Corp base at Wendover. Knowing that without the bravery of those men and women, we wouldn't be doing what we do. I am definitely going to have to see that in exactly four weeks.
    Yeaaaaa, whistle, whistle, clap, clap, clap.

29. Thanks. Fantastic trip.

30. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska