Register now to get rid of these ads!

New kid from the northeast.

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by KidfromMaine, Jul 8, 2009.

1. KidfromMaine

KidfromMaine

I've visited this forum a few times in the past to look at a few builds. Over the past two days it's realllly dragged me in though. I'm super interested in pretty much anything automotive related Both air and watercooled VW's, Hondas (I know, I know..), 70's - 80's Toyota's, and Nissan/Datsun's, pretty much anything.

In all 100% seriousness, nothing has caught my interest as much as hot rods have. I've always thought they were cool, but after reading around here on the HAMB, I have a new found respect for hotrods, I no longer think they're "cool" I've now moved onto the "hot rods are f*cking awesome" point of view.

Unfortunetly for me I don't know of anyone else who is into hot rods. It probably doesn't help that I'm just another ratty looking 17 year old. I definitely don't have any issue working on/tinkering with things by myself, I enjoy it actually. It just sucks not having any guidence, which is why I'm here now.

Another pretty crappy thing is that I live in Maine, which means rust, and lots of it at that. I'm sure they're some hidden gems out there, but itll be difficult.

Well, thats all I've got. Hopefully that wasn't too much, or too repetitive for you all.

2. KidfromMaine

KidfromMaine

Bumping this back up so I can ask a question and hopefully not get flamed as much as I would on the regular forum.

Has anyone ever thought of making a 'hot rod that handles' sort of concept? I'm not expecting modern sports car handling, but at least something that can take corners at speed and not careen into a ditch. IFS would obviously be a must, probably using Mustang 2 stuff. I don't think an independent rear is really needed though, I mean some of the fastest Lotus 7 based replica racers run a solid rear. Granted they have a bunch of crazy linkage which I'm not totally familar with, but it's going to be cheaper and easier to adapt. I also wouldn't be too keen on using IRS since it'd probably be a pretty modern piece and I don't think I could deal with sacrelige of that sort, Haha. All of that tossed into a T bucket sort of package would make me weak at the knees

Yes, I'm a dreamer.

3. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Welcome to the world of traditional hot rodding. There is actually lots of old iron hidden away up in Maine. You can start by checking out Craigslist on a regular basis. Type in the word "project" and usually a decent amount of old stuff pops up.

To answer your question... yup IFS is pretty commonly installed on old cars...however on a fenderless car it looks ridiculous. An old hot rod should drive like an old hot rod...thats just my opinion. However, I do advocate the use of disc brake upgrades as well as seat belts.

Welcome to the HAMB. There is a tremendous amount of great information and knowledge on the board and some really awesome folks to boot

Cheers,
    100% Matt

PS.
    Get yourself a subscription to Tradional Rod & Kulture......stay away from rebel rodz and old skool rodz

4. If old iron is built well, ie...proper steering geometry, new bushings, shocks, healthy springs and good balance you don't need anything like IFS...that really takes away from being a real hot rod. Save the IFS for your daily family wagon and stretch your brain to figure out...how can I pull the maximum potential out of what I have to work with...that's hot rodding!! And welcome to the board...the only way you'll learn more is to just try it.

5. 94hoghead

94hoghead

welcome fromTexas!

6. jagfxr1949

jagfxr1949

Welcome to the HAMB from the other side of this great land!
    A traditional hotrod CAN be made to handle quite well - study the cars built in the fifties that did road race with the best of the day on the west coast. Traditional suspensions set up right do work and work well. A couple of books that can help are "how to make you car handle" ( I don't remember the author) and Allan Girdler's "American Road Race specials 1934 -70". Pay attention to what Max Balchowsky was doing with his "Hotrods"! He raced against the Jags etc. and won often enough to have everyone's attention.

7. KidfromMaine

KidfromMaine

I figured I get a little bit of crap for that. Thanks for the input though.

There is infact some rad, pre-60's stuff on Craigslist right now, most of it for less that 1k.

If only I didn't have to pay for more important things..

8. Marcia

Marcia

Been driving a streetrod for 30 years but never drove into a ditch. Hummm

Welcome from "futher up the maine coast".

I spent lots of great hot rod weekends at the Cumberland fairground.

9. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Hey..
    Welcome... Listen, your only about an hour away from me. Your welcome to come on up, show ya the hot rod etc...
    Great old sch rod run @ Herbon Pines Campground in August. Let me know if interested
    Pontiac Slim

10. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

The Cumberland Fairgrounds!!!!! Geez, those were the days. Just ain't the same now. Miss Sam & The Sams nites as well ! Times have changed.
    Pontiac Slim

11. Marcia

Marcia

How I love the smell of tire smoke in the morning....or any other part of the day!