Register now to get rid of these ads!

barn find "little monster" (new york guy's help) Pic's update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JustplainJ, Jun 13, 2009.

1. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

I know I will get a lot of shit for selling the car but I have consulted with
    some people on the hamb and others that I respect... they all tell me they would sell it if it were theirs. the reason for that is it needs to be in a collectors hands.... I'm not looking to own a museum piece that I cant do anything with. my plans are to get it running, fix brakes and wiring with out disturbing the patina and then put it on the market... my hopes are that an east coast collector will pick it up and take it back to the east coast where it belongs. if not then I will hang onto it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  2. motorhead711

motorhead711

WOW man. Good score, it's great to see some of that stuff is STILL out there!!

3. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

weeks, thats the great thing about the desert nothing rots! every nut and bolt I have turned this car comes loose it's amazing.

4. Surprising considering the proximity to the river and humidity of the valley. It may be the desert but you should be around for the monsoons that come through in August. I love the weather there no matter what anyone says. My car spent 41 years sitting next to Bakersfield oilfields in a shed. Most of the bolts came loose some snapped off, but hey mine was bone stock factory nut and bolt when I got it.

Glad you are considering keeping it. Really don't we have enough museum pieces out there. The Peterson Museum is overcrowded and word on the street is that the Wally Parks NHRA Museum will soon be moving uh inventory over to the Peterson. Never been to Garlits museum in the Pan Handle but it appears to be pretty full also. Hope whatever happens with the little monster you are happy in the end.-Weeks

5. That sounds like a plan. And for the record, I wasn't being fresh, I was having trouble understanding the post.

6. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

I use to do work for Brian setzer when he lived here but he has moved....
    I think he still owns his house Indian wells. if I ever see him again I will ask.....

7. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

I saw the car at the La roadster show, it is even more bitch'in in person. Although I think anyone over 5'7" would have a hard time fitting in it.

8. Thought I would put my pic's from the LARS on here,since I sure this thread will be up for a while....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
    kidcampbell71 and AHotRod like this.
  9. jlow

jlow
    BANNED

awsome everytime i see it makes me wish i had the money for this ride would love to own it ...wouldnt touch a thing ....just drive it every place i went ,,,cmon some one from long island buy this thing already....you will never find another like it with this much history....

10. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

drive the wheels off that thing, omg what a beautiful rod...

11. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

cmon some one from long island buy this thing already....you will never find another like it with this much history....

jlow, thanks i couldn't agree with you more!

well today almost got brakes almost done... pulled drums and honed all 4 wheel cylinders installed new rebuild kits.
    inside the brakes I blew out 48 year of dust everything looked like new couldn't find any front brake lines here in town so it will have to wait until I can find some.
    tomorrow I will tackle the electrical.... had ignition switch re keyed so that should be pretty easy.<!-- / message -->

12. 31whitey

31whitey

Man...if this was a dry lakes car....u probabally would have had a bidding war on your hands at LARS...

13. henrys_way

henrys_way
    from Maine

What an awesome find! Love all that history! Very cool!

14. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

15. blitz

blitz

i would love to own it growing up about 5 miles form where it was run. that track had some history for sure now its gone. so is the go cart ad motorcross tracks, in there place new houses, that still gets me everytime i drive past it which was everyday for a while. at one time long island had some pretty imporant races road and drag. some cool history on this little thing of land, but thats all gone now pretty much exept riverhead race way which is just holding on by the skin of its teeth.

16. mr.smith

mr.smith

fucken tight ride !

17. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I seen the car at the LA Roadster Show and it is very cool to see it untouched.

18. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

Must. Have. Video. When you get it running.

19. METSHAPER

METSHAPER
    from SOCAL

This has to be one of most important finds as far as east coast cars go! I have never seen one with this much documented history ever.....you have a very rare piece on your hands!
    I'm new to this site.... happy to make this my first post..... car is simply incredible!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  20. jlow

jlow
    BANNED

yea the island is goimg to shit they stripped us of all the tracks and cruise spots ...
    and as far as important hell yea this car is important i have never seen another like it .as far as history goes ..im shure there is no one on this island more than me who would understand to not touch a thing on it. leave it alone ...preserve it .its the only one i have ever seen from new york that had so much done to it .from that era..and documented ..i never thought i would see the day a era correct car from long island was found ...thanks for finding it ..

21. 55chevr

55chevr

Still a cruise spot at Dunkin Donuts on Dogwood Avenue in Franklin Square .... Tuesdays at 6:00 ... Nice group ... some rods, corvettes and muscle cars ... good mix ... Joe

22. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

[​IMG] Re: 6,000+ trip around the USA in a Flathead '32 Roadster to LA Roadster Show- Part 2
    <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->This coupe had some racing history but not for sale sign. Guess it was one of those display pieces
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Congrats on your historic find and the super great story you have to go along with the car . It is such a great discovery that you have found and hope you do the car the justice it deserves ! What a thrill it must be to have found something like this !
    Once again , congrats on your find !

24. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

OK, Linda found some more cool stuff for me!!!!!!!!!!!!
    these three pic's of john towing car to Calif.
    turns out the little monster was towed to Calif with a tow bar....
    she also found his racing helmet ( how cool is that!)
    and hundreds more recipes including the one for his show sign.
    now all we need is the rod snapper's jacket..... I know it's there some where.
    [​IMG]
    you can see how tall john was in this pic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the keys to the little monster.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  25. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

What a legend to carry on. It's awesome that she trust you to supply you with the goodies that go with the car.

26. METSHAPER

METSHAPER
    from SOCAL

this is the best of the best as far as barn finds go! can anyone on the hamb
    recall a better barn find then this one? (especially form the east coast) with this much documentation? I would agree that the car needs to go back to the east coast where it came from....if some one from the east coast were to buy this car and take it home to long island they would own the most incredible piece of east coast history!

27. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Man, this thread just keeps getting better with each treasure found. That helmet is so cool. Wonder who striped it for him?

28. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

Just did a re-do on pic's in photo shop I think these look better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. slow cheetah

slow cheetah
    from missouri

Unreal! The history and the car...it's just Incredible! Awesome find for sure.

30. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

just found this in the new recipes I got..... from rod sapper's

[​IMG]