Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 novelty song by Nervous Norvus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by casper, Jul 1, 2009.

1. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

2. 61bone

61bone

Put some claret in me Barrett. Known it by heart since I was just a strapping young lad.

3. RDR

RDR

hey all you younguns that know how to get this music...put this one on here..!! "Little Forty Ford" by Leon Smith written by wayne Marshall 1958-9 It's an excellent song about the race of the 40 and a Big Impala....Have no idea whatever happened to my old 45 but do remember I played it so much that I think you could hear both sides at once..!! Thanks in advance and if you can do it I know all the Forty guys will love it as well..Great song on Willamette records made in Oregon

4. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

That's a great one and a favorite of mine too. Sez he has "two pots on a Ford and even the lakepipes are plated with gold". :D Good stuff. I still have my 45 around here.

5. casper

casper

6. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

if anyone is a fan of Cledus maggard and the citizens band, I have the entire white knight lp,i will evntually put it on a cd rom, it's not available anymore anywhere so screw the record companies if they don't like sharing music, can't go out and buy it.

7. Here you go , just select paly.

http://www.last.fm/music/Leon+Smith/_/Little+Forty+Ford

8. Oh man, you can't have a thread about "novelty" records without mentioning Bob McFadden!
    Beat Generation, The Mummy, he's got a ton of great stuff!
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oeH5_CgeR30&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oeH5_CgeR30&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Oh! I think there's a full length of Nervous Norvus stuff on Norton records...."The Zorch Sounds of" or something like that.

9. Then you would know it was Jimmy Rabbit. Eddie Rabbit is a country guy.
    Whooya. Disco Sucks!
    Comin' to ya live from Dobie's Mullet Hut and Swill Shack.
    Stay tuned for the Fish Report .....with a beat.
    All rise for our national anthem, "The Norwegian Fish Song".

10. RDR

RDR

hey jrblack30...thanx much!!!...have to hit 'leon smith radio,PLAY'....I'm sure they're gonna get lots of hits on that song now....and by the way hotrodmike, it's .."run me a mill with a three pot manifold; why even the lakes plugs are plated with gold"...another verse i never got right as a kid says..."man blew up his motor and he sure was shocked;thought you said this forty was nothin' but stock"....thanks again everybody!

11. tanks for some good songs I had forgot about the fender men, hot ass lead and Bass,
    I had a record when I was a kid made in LA. Got it from KFWB. it had songs like big black caddilic surfing hearse, a song about a kid in a 49 ford cruzing with his lady and a 63 impala racks his pipes off at him, all kinds of off beat car songs , like my memory it got lost with time. we forgot the best ever done there comming to take me away ha ha there comming to take me away, Nopolaion the 14th

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  12. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

13. casper

casper

I have really enjoyed listening to all the songs posted, especially the Leon Smith station! So I am bumping this back up for others to add to it. Thanks!

14. fuzzface

fuzzface

Hey! Thanks guys for helping me relive my youth. There is one song I can't find from back then. Camp Kookamonga or something like that. It was about the boy scouts chasing the girl scouts and it was an offtake of the battle of New Orleans. If anyone finds it post a link please, Thanks, The Fuzz.

15. I have it but don't know how to post audio. It's called the Battle of Kookamonga by Homer & Jethro, available at www.oldies.com and probably some other sites too. Parody of Johnny Horton's Battle of New Orleans. I think H&J came out with it about '59 or '60 but this album came out later - about '64. Homer & Jethro did a lot of song "butchering" back in the day.

[​IMG]

16. 454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR

454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR
    from Selden, TX

This would be great on a jukebox

17. swi66

swi66

18. casper

casper

19. Yeah, Eddie Rabbit was listed as country but he was quite a rocker too, seemingly born to late to be considered other than country. But a couple of his car related songs are in my opinion more old-time rock'n roll-ish than country:

American Boy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uOKwstwn3s

Drivin' My Life Away: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PtClFWTIyc&videos=Hu89KN1Qb8U&playnext_from=TL&playnext=1

And Don Walser's Hot Rod Mercury (not that old, but has a '51 Merc in the video): ***SEE NEXT POST for CORRECT LINK **** (thanks BarneyO)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  20. BarneyO

BarneyO
    from here

21. BarneyO

BarneyO
    from here

22. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Here's another great song from the Pacific Northwest: Wolf Call by Lord Dent and the Invaders. I tried to embed the video, but that doesn't seem to be working. Oh, well here's the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYfbFRyLqvc

23. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Here's another great on The Collins Kids, Hot Rod

B.T.W. There are several videos of the Collins Kids on you tube really great stuff and amazing for how young they were at the time.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  24. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

yes in the last album he ever released there was a big thank you to his fans, and it sounds like he's saying goodbye, it's very errie. it's like he knew his time here was up.

25. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

i'm glad you started this thread i grew up listening to these old novelty songs,mostly thanks to "Mr Ramos STevenson" lol , everyone thought i was wierd for liking them, but i still love em, and Dr Demento was the best here are some more
    Wet Dream, Kip Adotta
    The Cockroach that Ate Cincinnati, Rose and the Arrangements
    Entering Marion, John Forster
    The Scotsman, Brian Bowers
    Snoopy for President, The Royal Guardsmen (but I love all the Snoopy songs)
    Flying Saucer, Buchanan & Buchanan
    Junkfood Junkie, Larry Groce
    Camp Kookamunga, Homer & Jethro
    Monster Mash, Bobby "Boris" Pickett
    Transfusion, Nervous Norvus
    Beep Beep, The Playmates

26. Yes, his last album was just that. He had cancer and if I recollect, he knew it'd be his last release. I think he died in '98.

27. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Sheb Wooley had some good tunes in the mid/late '50s, some of it "novelty" stuff but a lot of country and some rock and roll.

Of course there's "Purple People Eater" (named after a shortened up Model A with a blown Pontiac ;)) and a little rarer, "Luke the Spook"

And he was also on Rawhide in the early '60s! :eek:

PPE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9H_cI_WCnE