Register now to get rid of these ads!

CARB & INTAKE question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robber grin, Jul 9, 2009.

1. sorry to bother you with more SBC crap - but I have a pre 69 GM 4 barrel intake on my 64 283 V8 with the small heat riser channel at the front of the carb mounting flange. I also have a later donor with a good running q-jet that I was hoping to run on this motor till I can upgrade ($)...
    is there a solution in a gasket or adapter that I can use to isolate this channel?

I really appreciate the mechanical expertise of you guys and I know somebody on here has a idea on how to get this squared away.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

Just change the intake, stock cast iron Q-jet intakes a usually give-aways and it will perform quite well.

3. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

They sell a metal gasket for carb,Alot of early cadillac used these gaskets .Check on bay for this .Or post in the wanted section here.All it does is heat up carb

4. David Chandler

David Chandler

Just plug the heat riser holes on either side of the channel. I did one quite a while back. I tapped it and screwed in something like a large set screws. Then if the channel bothers you, fill it with epoxy and smooth it for a good wide sealing area.

5. rainman1958

rainman1958

Fill it with apoxy J-B weld something that heat wont have a lot of effect on.

6. IF I fill it in then the later carb and gasket are good to use?

7. merf

merf
    from new joisey

The problem with using a later carb is that it doesn't cover the exhaust passage on the front corner.If you leave the passage open it will leak even with the stainless steel plate and proper gasket.I would plug the holes with steel plugs then fill the channel with JB weld.

8. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Tap small freeze plugs in to close the passages. Use a normal Qjet gasket. Even though you're not supposed to, could probably MIG em shut with a great degree of success. Good luck

9. THANKS for ALL the inputs - I will work on the freeze plug and JB Weld solution.

I hope to get the whole thing smoothed and run the Q-J base gasket.