Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Summers Bros. Goldenrod-Two Way 409 with Unblown Hemis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miller91, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I watched on my computer two 15 minute videos with the whole Goldenrod story. It must have been a half hour TV program at one time. I never bookmarked it and could never find it again. Anyone got a link to it?

2. firingorder1

firingorder1

About 10 or so years ago my wife wanted to go to a store in Fontana. I drove her over and it was a part of Fontana that I was not familiar with. After she was done I went "exploring". By that I mean I took a different route home just to see what was there. As we were driving down one little road of old houses and fields I spotted the Goldenrod. On a trailer, out in the open, in a field of waist high dead weeds covered in dirt and dust. I hit the brakes and got out to have a look.

I stood there for ten minutes looking in disbelief! This was THE Goldenrod! 409mph! And here it was rotting in a field in Fontana! My wife, who had no idea what the Goldenrod was and represents stuck her head out of the window and asked me if I was going to be there all day. When I got back in the car my wife looked at me and said why was there tears in my eyes. I tried to explain to her what it was and what it means to me (and I'm sure a lot of others).

A couple of years go Mike Cook invited our club (Road Runners) to have their club meeting at his place and check out the Goldenrod restoration. Needless to say we never did have a meeting but spent about three wonderful hours listening to Mike Cook and being able to check out Goldenrod up close. What a stunning piece of engineering! Thanks to all who was involved in the restoration of such an historical and just plain wonderful machine.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. miller91

miller91

4. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Not bad for a couple of guys earning $150 a week.

5. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

That's a little over $1000 per week in today's money.

6. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Earning just over $1000 a week today will not give anyone a chance to build a potential 500MPH streamliner in one year. Unless they have the intelligence of the Summers Bros.

7. jangleguy

jangleguy

Never saw the shot of it going down the freeway before!
    Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!
    Scotty

8. miller91

miller91

I think of the film and Tom Wolfe's book "The Right Stuff". Like the hero test pilots in that story (based on fact), these "regular" guys stood up and did things on four wheels that most of us could only dream about doing. Perhaps still apples and oranges, but I think Chuck Yeager can identify with having to use both hands to shift in that beautiful coffin going 350 MPH? I mean come on?

9. I know its a ruff economy right now but it would be cool to plan a trip with a group of guys (that would be interested of coarse) to go the museum and see this masterpiece and all the other great things that are at the Henry Ford museum.I have been wanting to see this in person for quite a while.

10. miller91

miller91

11. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

There's no question that the Goldenrod was nothing short of an engineering miracle. I dont think there was a car built in the next 30 years that came close. They had some pretty heavy hitting sponsors and backers, But most guys could have all that help and never even come close. Nothing but respect from me.

12. miller91

miller91

The modern and efficient line and the compact engineering has a timeless quality. A real standout.

13. miller91

miller91

I had one of these "SSP's" in tangerine in 1970-71. I always thought it looked a little like the Goldenrod.

[​IMG]

14. filthy frank

filthy frank

ed sutton,grandson of the person who built the body out of aluminum,has a small model version of the wind tunnel car.he desplayed it and other scrapbook photos at the unvailing of the goldenrod before it went to the henry ford museum.

15. If I remember rightly, the brothers went over 300 in their first single engine car,,,,,,

16. steal32

steal32

i had the rear engine red sst that looked like a turbine .
    those suckers sure hauled ass!!!

oh ya thats why im here
    got sum old slides of the golden rod back in 65 at the press day at riverside internationalraceway

bill summers had it stored at our shop for about 8 mo. back in the early 90's i tell u what sitting inthat thing and looking out over the front wow bob summers was the man
    imagine 4 426 hemi's singing at high rpm ahhhh sweet music

17. steal32

steal32

326 mph in the #308 polywog ini think 63

18. filthy frank

filthy frank

i have been told about the polywog,any body have pics?

19. The Polywog, 1963.

Attached Files:

20. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Absolutely amazing! Beautiful car and stunning engineering. Remember this one from '70? Not quite the same as an internal combustion, non super-charged streamliner, but it does bring back memories. Sorry, don't mean to hi-jack the thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When we heard that baby went super sonic, my brother and I about peed ourselves. We went nuts. Jeez, I'm getting older. haha

21. 2club

2club
    from California

300 page Goldenrod tech and history book nearing completion. we are working on a small section near the back about the car touring after the record. If you have any photos from when the car was at your garage we might be able to use them in the historical context. If interested, please reply to John at [email protected]. Thanks

bobwop likes this.
  22. 2club

2club
    from California

23. 2club

2club
    from California

300 page Goldenrod tech and history book nearing completion. we are working on a small section near the back about the car touring after the record. If you have any photos from when the car was at your garage we might be able to use them in the historical context. If interested, please reply to John at [email protected]. Thanks

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Saw it in New York City at the Auto Show, I'll have to find the photos. I've always liked this Peter Helck painting of the Goldenrod. Bob

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  25. I saw and photographed the Golden Rod at the Henry Ford museum 3 years ago. Great car.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. I was there that day. I often tell the story. It was the coolest thing on the planet! :cool:

The37Kid likes this.
  27. And Al Teague is the coolest guy on the planet!

Dynoroom, Montana1 and The37Kid like this.