Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electrical help needed asap!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by superstockcatalina, Jul 9, 2009.

1. my question is, i have a 55 chevy with a taylor battery box in the trunk.

i routed the battery cable(+) along the frame to the starter solenoid on the small block chevy.

i am also running an msd 6a box mounted under the dash on the passenger side.

QUESTION: theres a 12 ga. wire from the msd box that says needs to go to the (+) on the battery. Secondly i have a 12 ga. wire thats from the alternator and should go to the (+) terminal on the battery as well. Then i have another 12 ga. wire from the painless wire kit from under the dash which i thing comes from the ignition key...................can these three 12 ga. positive wires connect to the starter solenoid positive post along with the positive battery cable or do that have to go all the way back to the battery??? please help, carshow tomorrow and im out of time!!! thanks

2. tooslow54

tooslow54

I ran mine off the starter when I moved my battery. Has worked fine so far.

3. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Yes hook them to the stater post where the battery attaches. Hope you ran a #4 or larger from the battery to the starter. Use a fusable link on the Painless connection and the MSD box. Lots of luck going tomorrow.

4. SCR8PINHRD

SCR8PINHRD
    from delta pa

You should put an inline fuse in the one that is going to the MSD box, if there's one not there.

5. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Yes, should be no problem hook them up on the battery side of the solenoid. That's what I would do.

6. i have the maxi fuse that came with the kit, it says it should go between the battery and the alternator, i think its 50 amp? i can route it between the starter and the msd box if that works. and yeah i have the cables that came with the taylor relocation kit its a 4 or 5 ga red cable hooked up to the starter. ill go ahead and hook up those three to the same post and pray it works! thanks for the advice!!!! yeah, the car show is in tampa and its an hour north of me and this will be the first time driving this car! scary. View attachment 702961 jesdumpedme 007.jpg

jesdumpedme 010.jpg

7. oj

oj

Acouple more things, if you plan to go to the track then you need battery disconnect because you've relocated the battery; since you've added msd you'll probably need a diode in the altenator output to turn off ignition. If the msd is new then there will be a funny looking bentwire/paperclip looking gizmo a brown barrell & white/silver stripe, thats the diode so don't tossit. The instr will show you which wire to connect it to and how it is biased. One more thing, since the battery is now in the back and the altenator is connected to the starter cable then when the battery disconnect is pulled the car will continue to run, the battery is disconnected but the altenator is providing power so you may need an additional solenoid. That depends on whether the tech guy was a 'battery disconnect switch' or a 'kill switch' at the rear of the car. If he wants a 'kill switch' then start another thread and we'll explain how to add a solenoid to fix you up ok?

8. ryno

ryno

you could also try and run a distrubition fuse block with muilt outlets. you can get one a stereo shop. that way you can properly fuse all your components.you can run any size fuse per outlet that you desire.
    or do it the way the others have said, either way it will work.

9. wow... yeah i do plan on racing it but not right away, i will add a kill switch inside the car and was thinking a battery disconnect on the bumper. its only a 305 and a stock rear end so until i find a used 9 inch and rebuild the 350 i have into a 383 i think she will just cruise the streets for now. i looked in the msd box and i see no diode. so i guess i didnt get one.

10. Hey Patrick,
    How are you? Glad to see you back on the board, I was concerned!
    Fairly sure that if the disconnect is on the ground side of the battery, it will kill everything. I also think the kill switch has to be out where a track worker can get to it, and plainly visible. Check the rules.

11. greyone

greyone

Battery cutoff switch goes on the POSITIVE side of the battery.

12. Right you are, NHRA states cut off on positive cable!! If you just want to cut off power to store a car, or parking, Negative will work, but will not shut off a running engine with an altenator.

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Wire the maxi fuse as they tell you between the battery and the alternator. It is a safety devise to keep from burning the car to the ground if the alternator should short out. (I had it happen to me although it did not burn down) You need this fuse as they designed it. Don't change it from it's original design.

Check with the ignition company to find out what size fuse you need to add to the system to protect your ignition box. You need both fuses.

14. RatRoy

RatRoy

Buy a four post "cutoff" switch for the master. Follow instructions.:)