Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I thinking clearly? Or should I step back and relook what I want to do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xxwelderxx, Jun 14, 2009.

1. My commute is on Rt. 46 and never go over 45mph. I do agree with 287 being crazy though. I hate driving on it and I-80 in the 91 dodge.

Funny thing about the gas milage. I avg. 13mpg with my 91, I used to get 19mpg with the 53 Plymouth.

I appreciate all the response though. It's giving me some food for thought.

2. teisco

teisco

Look at this way,,,if you buy an '09 it will be worth half what you paid in six months,,,if you put that same amount into a nice old ride you will have something cool to drive and something that will be worth more in six months.

3. Yeah for as much as I LOVE my old cars, the really old stuff is not the best choice for daily commuting. I think that you'd get sick of the 50 mph top speed and the rattles and rough ride in about a week. I also can't imagine driving your truck in the snow and salt. I'm sure that the heater and defrosters are marginal, at best.

A few years ago, I used to commute 80 miles a day in my 75 Dodge Monaco and other than the gas mileage absolutely sucking, I really enjoyed it. BUT this car was designed for families taking road trips and had great suspension, disk brakes, A/C, tinted glass, etc. A 50's pickup with drum brakes, skinny bias ply tires and hay wagon suspension... not so much. I carried a few spare ballast resistors, ECU's and voltage regulators and my small toolbox but rarely had to use the stuff. I got another job closer to home and used to drive my other projects to & from work, but if I would have had to go another mile further...

I do agree about the computerized cars to a point though! I used to be the kind of guy who'd stop to help if I saw someone broken down on the side of the interstate, but lately all that I can do is stare at the maze of computers, wires, vacuum hoses, etc. and shrug my shoulders when they ask "Why won't it start?"

If I were in your position, living that far north with the snow and salt, and having to drive that far to & from work... I'd find a decent beater car (even from the 60's or 70's if you have to have something "old") and keep the truck for having fun with.

4. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

I drive my 53 f100 as my dd. Stock flathead, stock rear, and stock drums. Runs good but anything above 60 is pushing it. Wipers are okay and heat is good. It all depends to drive an older vehicle everyday you have to be willing to make comprises and make sure you are okay with that. My truck was down for 3 days getting the starter fixed (only 1 place would rebuild it). I have a beat to crap 82 c10 I have as a back up though worse case.

5. Well If my 91 Dodge sells Im deciding between the 53 Dodge Pilothouse and a 65 Power Wagon Quad Cab 4x4. I found the PW surfing the web today and think it has possibility of being a family hauler when my wife and I have kids.

6. storm king

storm king

I do the deal on the old truck!
    My daily drivers are an '86 and'87 dodge. I took off the lean burn crap and went back to a regular ignition. I know what I'm driving isn't like driving a '50's truck, but if you are just running 45 mph, that's no strain on it.

7. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

Drive the old truck///My DD is a '63 C10 , prior to last March for 19 yrs was a '67 C10,Chicago winters really ratted it out but that's the way it goes

8. Well I'm test driving the 53 hopefully this week. We will see what happens. I might end up keeping the 91 Dodge for backup.

9. Ruiner

Ruiner

Just fucking do it...and fuck all the prissy guys who can't be pleased without a pillow under their ass and A/C...yeah, it's extra work, big deal, it's still better than dicking around with $200 sensors and computer shit...at the speeds you're running, that rearend swap and some good tuning/rebuilding of the carb, suspension bushings, bearings and brakes (and flush/seal the gas tank) and it'll be fine...for those guys that fight warzone-like traffic for their daily commute, it sucks to be you, but you're the one that's still putting up with it, so quit your bitching...

10. gas pumper

gas pumper

Now that sounds reasonable.

You do need to keep one modern car on insurance to keep QQ plates on the rest of the fleet, here in NJ

Route 46 was mostly done in the 40's, right? the newer parts. The older sections was called route 6 and was from the 20's. Still some bridges around with the route 6 signs on them.

45 minutes at 45 mph sounds good to me. With a backup for the shitty weather.

11. You know exactly how I feel! Drive and enjoy that '53.

BloodyKnuckles

12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Out of curiosity, how many miles are on the 91? If the truck has a ton of miles on it, you can hardly fault it for things breaking. Shit happens. They're cars, they break with use. Stuff wears out. Maybe the answer is a new late model. Sure sensors and stuff aren't cheap, but neither are good parts for old cars.

I've replaced every Oxygen sensor in my Mustang (4 of em), and the MAF sensor, for a total cost of around $400. Not too shabby for a car I drive 25K miles a year. I've thrown 10 times that at my older stuff making it reliable. I get the impression by buying this 53, all you're doing is swapping a small project for a larger one.

13. When I was selling cars I used to get people in every day that would say "I just need a beater to get me back and forth to work". My response was always that driving to work is the most important driving you do. That said, I think that if you think the 53 is reliable, go for it. If you think it might leave you hanging then step back and take a second look. As far as comfort is concerned, well if we were looking for comfort we'd be doing something else as a hobby, I'm 61 years old and I can't wait to be able to drive my Roadster every day. But I also know that some days I'm gonna want to drive my Ford Ranger.

Oldschool66

14. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I drive my 55 Lincoln to work pretty much everyday.

I made a few upgrades like a dual master cylinder, a "freshened" engine, and a tranny upgrade to a THM350...

I think it is great and I enjoy the drive a lot....

BUT... I live about 3 or 4 miles from work... as much as I would LIKE to tell you to drive the 53 daily,,, it probably is too much to have to RELY on the 53 for daily transportation...

My Lincoln is reliable and comfortable at highway speeds, but still,,, that is a long trip for every day...

If you could have both trucks and drive the 53 when you wanted to this would be a little more realistic...

15. sirhc

sirhc
    from Boise, ID

The older truck may not be quite as reliable in the long run, but I've found my boss to be more forgiving when I'm late to work when I have an issue with my 56' (as opposed to my new, modern daily driver).

Do what makes you happy!

16. Dr.Theo

Dr.Theo

so what happened did he get one?

and i drove my 69 elco as my daily driver every day that there was no now on the ground for nearly 3 years

17. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

Well, I was driving my 56 Olds every day,then I blew it up 250 miles from home. now I'm borrowing my cousins 98 trooper. In any measurable way its a superior vehicle, But I cant stand it...no soul...I feel like any other SUV fool.
    I am building another motor and hauling it back to his place, i'll put it in in his driveway.
    All will be right...
    Darrin

18. 454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR

454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR
    from Selden, TX

I would go for it. There's lots of stuff you can do to make a flathead more highway friendly. Electric fans for instance.