Register now to get rid of these ads!

GLASSPACKS, the anti-Flowmaster: which flow/sound better

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Knoxville, Apr 21, 2009.

1. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

you can order them a lot cheaper from summit then that,even with the handling charge. i think mine was 15 bucks from the local auto parts store, real cherry bomb not a knockoff

2. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Porter mufflers thats where it's at! They have that old skool sound.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  3. 5Belair7

5Belair7

"Cherry Bomb....disturbin the peace since 1968" :cool:

4. 54EARL

54EARL
    from Idaho
    1. A-D Truckers

I am voting for Brockmans mellow tones the sound is great and they will build them to any length you politely ask for.

5. kennedy

kennedy
    from TN

I had Brockmans on my coupe. Now I don't have nothing ,but if I ever decide to put mufflers back on I will go back to Brockmans.

6. boones27t

boones27t
    from redding ca

everyones got there own opinion but i hate the sounds of glasspacks chambered mufflers sound best i think

7. The best muffler is the one that keeps you from gettin a ticket.
    The best sound (in my opinion) is Cherry Bombs.
    Smitty's were a little before my time.

The way God intended cars to sound, Cherry Bombs baby!

8. Knoxville

Knoxville

Thanks 57JoeFoMoPar, It's got the better DOVE C heads, balanced bottom end with Eagle parts, and high lift cam, so I was hoping to run it 6500 RPM and be ok. Torque wont be an issue....480 out of the box with smog shit on it....and it'll have appox 560-580 ft lbs.
    Sounds like 3 " is the way i should go.

Only problem is, i think cherry bombs are the only ones that come with 3" outlets. Guess I could ask Brockman to make me some, but from what people are sayin so far, Smitty's are soundin pretty good too, dont think I can get em in 3" though.

I gotta run em out before the rear wheels....so either way it's gonna be loud. I'd like to run the longest packs i can fit to keep the interior resonance down, don't mind if it's loud outside, i just wanna be able to enjoy driving it.

9. boones27t

boones27t
    from redding ca

10. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

I'm sorry but... I like my flowmasters and I've had a lot of them BUT the sound is not a "traditional" sound. A nice deep mellotone is something the flowmasters and other modern performance muffler don't have.

11. Apache

Apache
    from FL

Ohh boy I wish I woulda seen this sooner to fill you guys in..lol
    Okay where do I start..
    FLOWS SUCK!!!! Not only do they sound tinny and have horrid drone, but their flow numbers are horrible as well. AND.. EVERYONE and their mother has them on their car. Why is it everyone thinks that glasspacks have horrible flow and flowmasters are sooo great for performance?Maybe it's bc they're called FLOWmasters. They shoudl be sued

So you want a muffler that flows well???? or sounds good???

Best of both worlds is a GLASSPACK with a PERFORATED CORE (thrush magnums, i think cherry bomb too)
    LOUVERED CORE glasspacks are terrible performance killers though, smithys are louvered core :'( (as are purple hornys, red hots, etc.)

Turbo mufflers are also a good choice, great deep sound at idle, not too loud, and will barely notice at cruising speeds (be known that you will have wicked drone if you dump a turbo muffler right under the car) go straight out the back or the side ;-)

Any more questions let me know....

From loudness at idle,cruising(drone),and heavy accel from what I've used: 10 loudest, 1 quietest
    Straight pipe:7,8,12
    Glasspack:6,8,10
    Flow:4,10,7
    Turbo:3,2,5
    Stock:1,1,2

These were all DUMPED on a 5.7L HEMI.
    Take note that every engine is difference, and dependant on cmopression ratio, level from ground, etc. it will be a little different.

It is also TRUE that sound will differentiate with placement of the miffler and size of pipe. Smaller pipe=more rap,pop.... Front of exhaust= More pop, rap, rear more smooth

;-)

12. Apache

Apache
    from FL

BTW Outta all the exhaust set-ups I've had...
    I'm putting Thrush Magums (Glasspacks, Perforated Core) on my Y-Block as soon as I get teh motor rebuilt ;-)

13. Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel!;)

14. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

I like Flowmaster Delta Flows as well. Had them on a big block wagon several years back. Great sound with little to no resonance. Just my 2 cents.

15. 52style

52style

back when i worked at the dynoshop in santee ca we put a motorhome on a dyno before and after we put glass packs on it with glasspacks it lost horsepower over stock

beleive it or not the greatest horsepower increases we seen were with doug thorley headers backed with dynomax mufflers

to me i love sound but horsepower comes first

Elcohaulic likes this.
  16. Heckler

Heckler
    from Austin, TX

I'm running Cherry Bombs; love 'em!

17. davidh73750

davidh73750

my 63 bel air has summit brand welded mufflers, like $40 each like the sound of them on the all stock 283, have used and liked afterburnner mufflers as well, along with Hooker aero chamber mufflers but I wasnt as impressed with the dynomax ultra flo mufflers for sound. Thrush has a new muffler out thats around $30 each now Im wondering about.

18. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

19. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Hooker Aerochamber. They sound better than flowmasters(NO drone) and make a few more hp too.

20. Just finished my Dodge coup has 48" x2.5 trush glasspacks ,found at yard sale. I thought they might be a tad to quiet for me but they are great.

21. badsco

badsco

Love the sounds of the cherry bombs on my 60 Buick. Went under the rear axle for clearance, and right out the back at each corner. Low rumble on the highway, wake right up when you get on it, and really dig the popping/cracking sound when you're all over it.

22. Cherry Bombs on my '28 RPU 'cause they sound BITCHIN'.

23. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

You guys are really old school.
    There is no way a those cheap ass glass packs and cherry bombs sound better then a flowmaster magnaflow borla etc. all of witch are tuned exaust and flow wayyyyyyy better and a chamber muffler is the sweetest sound out there.

24. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'd like to see a link to a test that proves out the flow ratings one way or the other, but damned if I can see how any chambered or baffled muffler can flow better than a properly designed and built straight through glasspack with a thru-tube as large as the head and tail pipes. Years ago, before the advent of the nauseous sounding Flowmasters, Borlas, Magnflows, etc., HRM did a test covering flow ratings, decibel readings at steady cruise and full load acceleration, and the big tube Mitchell glasspacks fared quite well in all aspects. Dunno about now though. Just know I like the glasspack sound better.
    Dave

25. AustinPhoenix

AustinPhoenix
    from Austin

I'm going to put flowmasters on my 52 once I get the 350 dropped in. The ONLY REASON I'm choosing them is because I just bought a Police Interceptor that came with spare rotors, pads, belt, heater core, alternator, plugs, wires, coils, siren, camera system, and the flowmaster exhausts the cop planned on putting on it. Free flowmasters? SURE!! :D

Otherwise, I LOVE the sound of the cherry bombs I have on my 64 chevy truck. Hypnotic... :)

26. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

neither ...straight pipes for me

27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

This thread can go on for years-like paint colors, use the same color on two different style cars and one will look perfect, and the other all wrong. So, for true old school sound glass packs are the ones to use. But, for a solid sound use something like Edmonds or Flow Masters Delta Flow 40 series or the quieter 50 Series (tin can sound is in the earlier two chamber models), or something like them.

28. skunx1964

skunx1964

well, this is the hamb, thats why the old school preferences:rolleyes:

and ive got 2.5in cherry bombs on my 355. sounds perfect. at idle, if your bent over in the trunk, it sounds like youve got yer head in a kick drum.....