Register now to get rid of these ads!

Good CHEATING stories?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Feb 15, 2007.

1. rallisracing

rallisracing

A couple that I remember:

The Rod Shop sponsored Dave Boertmans Dodge, and at The World Finals in Amarillo, they put washers under all 4 corners of the carb to get more AIR at the high altitude..They got caught...

Did not see it, but was "told" that in the Texas Pro Stock circuit, a well known Chevy from Arlington had the Vaccu pan hoses run up to the intake, instead of the headers. Seems the oil they were draining out after every run was a little yellow, they said it was a water leak..Rumor was they were pouring nitro in the oil and the fumes picked up a few hundreths...

kbgreen likes this.
  2. mr.smith

mr.smith

Finally!, an actual good thread

waynos likes this.
  3. Tweety flew by you

Tweety flew by you

In many of the street races with my buddies, I would flag the race with my hands or a flashlight. However, I did not throw down my hands or turn on the flashlight until my buddies already left the line. Giving him a car length or two advantage. This happens so quickly that no one ever noticed.

waynos likes this.
  4. Larry T

Larry T

Nothin' worse than a cheatin' Ford owner! LOL

5. RatRoy

RatRoy

I remember reading that during a NASCAR tech inspection after winning a race, Smokey was being helpful and cleaning parts from his motor as they were removed. He had prior to the race placed all the stock parts in the parts cleaning tank. As he was given the part from his motor his would wash it and switch parts in the tank and hand the inspector the "cleaned part" back.

The guy in California using Mercury was at Mesa Marin in Bakersfield. He had a valve between the left side of the chassis and the right side. The rule was a certain percentage of left side weight to right side weight. The car was correct on the scales. The track straight was banked and during driver introduction he would transfer weight to the left side. Had a leak and got caught, EPA nearly declared the track a hazardous waste site.

While racing in TAD saw a lot of zoomie header covers that weighted about 50 pounds. During the ride from the end of the track to the scales some drivers would fill their pockets of their firesuits with lead shot to make weight. One guy had a hole in his pocket and was caught when shot started running out his pants leg.;)

6. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I cant remember who it was, I think maybe it was Junior Johnston. He was in a race and lost and his remarks were. Hes cheatin! How do you know? Because I was cheatin and cant catch him! hahaha

Daryl Waltrip I heard carried a small NOS bottle in his fire suit.

7. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I had several good friends that ran local circle tracks in the late Eighties/early Nineties that got inventive from time to time. Factory heads and intakes were the rule, so they doctored up a set of high dollar aftermarket iron heads with Devcon to make them "factory" double hump versions. Worked well until a stray rock chipped off one of the humps. Holley or someone made a SBC intake with the firing order cast into it. These guys obtained about two weeks worth of brake drum turning dust from a local shop and 3M Super 77'ed the filings to the aluminum manifold and painted it Chevy orange. I forget how they got busted on that one.

8. rbohm

rbohm
    from tucson,az

back in the day when i was racing, there was a rule at the local track that cars in the stock and super stock classes had to have a functional spare tire, and when told by the inspectors the spare tire had to be put on the left front. one of the guys had filled his spare with concrete to get the weigh transfer he wanted. the inspector told him to put the spare on, and the guy not having the tools said he would do it in the pits. the inspector marker the tire and informed the people at the starting line about it. the guy actually went back and put the concrete filled on the car and raced it to keep from being disqualified. he said that he had a headache and blurry vision for a week afterwards.

another guy also in the stock class, had modified his fuel tank so that when the inspectors did a fuel check they got the pump gas he wanted them to get. the rest of the tank was filled with water. he had two hidden tanks that feed the engine his blend of race gas, actually alcohol with 20% nitromethane added. he finally got caught two ways;

1: the tech inspectors got suspicious when they never saw him fill the tank, and

2: they checked the fuel level after a run but before he got back to the pits and found that he used no gas on the run.

our team was running a B/FA car that was about 75lbs light, but otherwise legal. we also had the problem that when race day came around the driver was always late, so we would get the tech guys to pass the car even though the driver wasnt available. eventually we couldnt get the tech guys to do that any more, so we listed me as a driver for the car, and since i had about 100lbs on our driver, the car came out at legal weight. we never did get caught on that one.

1985 - 1988 everyone thought that ernie elliot built some really hot motors for his brother bill, witness the qualifying records at daytona and talladega motor speedways, as well as elliots dominance of teh speedway and super speedway tracks during that period. someone went back in the late 90's and actually measured the winning talladega car on display and found the car was actually a perfect 15/16ths scale Tbird, but the car did fit the templates that nascar used at the time.

9. JLM

JLM
    from Ontario

This car also had a 1' X 3' fuel filler neck

10. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

something else the "Grump" would do is draw your eyes away from the cheat. If it where a cheat that he couldn't hide , he would do something like mount a small box on the lower part of the fire wall and run a few vacuum lines and wires into it...It did nothing other than make you wonder what it was while the real secret was in the wide open.

11. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Oh I worked as a chassis welder at South East Racing back in the 80's , we heard of guys that had 12 pound rolls of duct tape laying in the car while on the scale , also a helment that weights just over 30 pounds.

12. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

Not really cheatin' but certainly messing with the intent of the rules --:rolleyes:

Gene Goss was racing at Amarillo Dragwy in a '53 Pontiac in Modified Production in the mid-'60's.

When they finished the car and weighed it they were in the middle of B/MP which had some SERIOUS cars competing.

He also discovered he needed some traction bars.

Solved both problems -- built monster traction bars out of 3/8" plate and ended up at the very top of C/MP and was very competitive.

"No sir, those aren't ballast, they're just very reliable traction bars.":D:D:rolleyes:

13. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I remember reading about country star Marty Robbins who entered a race (Ontario, I think) with a blatantly big motor. Evidently NASCAR wasn't much on teching prior to the race then, and according to Marty's story, they mostly checked the top several finishers. Anyway, he ran up front and finished well, then confessed his sins to a tech official after the race and was slapped with a fine. His response to the fine was , "Hell it was worth every dime just to see the look on Richard Petty's face whe I passed him!"

My brother's buddy used to race a mini-stocker and of course, it was illegal as hell. Afetr one win, a tech official asked them to jack the car up. Seems as though someone had tipped them off to the (illegal) aluminum flywheel and the tech guy had a magnet in his hand an a grin on his face, he knew they had to be doing something. But the dumbass official crawled on the car and promptly stuck the magnet on the ring gear by accident, and thought he'd stuck it on the flywheel. He crawled back out, red faced and declared the car's flywheel to be steel.

I used to use a fuel oxidizer back when I was sand dragging. It was legal, and I always used it with good results, but it was obvious as hell because of the smell, but (according to the can) could not be detected in specific-gravity fuel tests. My brother and his buddies started racing in a spec class a few years ago, and aside from jet changes, there was nothing else you could do to the engine. I tuned my brother's carbs, and made sure it was legal, but when asked to do a freinds, I did since I had nothing to hide. I swapped jets one day at the shop, and asked my brother's buddy to start the car just so I knew it would run before I left. "No, that's ok, I'm sure it's good" was his reply. I insisted, since I wanted to know for sure it was ok. He finally gave in and as soon as the car fired, I knew why he was so reluctant. You know what they say about smell bringing back your memory? As soon as that acrid smell hit my nose, I had a sand drag/oxidized fuel flashback. He claimed it was an "after-run" oil additive to prevent cold start damage. My ass, I know a cheater when I smell one...

Model A Vette likes this.
  14. t5stang91

t5stang91

sometimes people run on the street give a quicker car a spot or two but make sure you leave early and pass him before it gets started.

15. BISHOP

BISHOP

awesome thread.

16. KidfromMaine

KidfromMaine

This thread is one of the main reasons I joined.

17. papastoyss

papastoyss

At that time many were building their own intakes, Glidden didn't want anyone else seeing what he had built.

18. Heard this from the guy I purchased my old Max Wedge parts from back in the Eighties;he ran a '63 Plymouth in "stock" class. Happened at a "Big" west-coast sanctioned event back in '63 or '64. You weren't allowed to "gut" the underside of the dashboard. One well known "factory" team had been accused of doing this(by another well-known "factory" team),and when the tech inspector went to check this out,he put his hand(and weight) on the passenger side bucket seat of the "accused" car to look under the dash. The seat promptly collapsed,as it was just a wire frame with stock upholstery covering it. Don't know if the underside of the dash was gutted or not. This well known "factory" team had the last laugh,as the other well-known "factory" team(the accusers) had filled the inside of their rear bumper with lead,and fatigue had set in the brackets,and said bumper fell on another tech inspectors foot.

Ah,yes;creative interpretation of the rules,indeed.

19. papastoyss

papastoyss

I owned & wrenched a VW powered L/G Fiat in the late 70s. We were always legal. Well,mostly. When we went to Indy Nationals the tech guys would always pick the car hard to try & find something wrong. When I asked one why he was being so hard on us ,he replied "Cause I just don't like these little cut down cars". I finally started leaving something off (easily installed) so they would find it & leave us alone. I've been out of drag racing 30 yrs & still don't care for NHRA.

20. RodStRace

RodStRace

I heard that a factory backed guy running a 2.2L charger had taller deck blocks than anyone could get from dodge.....

F.A.S.T. racing is crazy with the stuff they do and it all looks stock.

21. dawg

dawg

OK, I'm in (even though y'all hate me cause I'm a newb from Tejas). I was helpng out my freinds with a dirt car. (back then it was called a "late model" ) Anyways, the driver (Skinny) could have piloted a space shuttle, except they were blowing up at the time. The cheat I came up with, was to cut the onboard fire extinguisher in half, and weld a plate in between, and then sew it all back together. When tech asked for an onboard test, the top half would shit C O2, but what we were hiding in the bottom , made it's way to the intake, into the form of NoS. Needless to say, we won Dr Pepper night, $10,000. I didn't get no money, but we partied pretty hard. And the legend is still told, (in certain circles, of course)... :D

22. A Rodder

A Rodder

23. steal32

steal32

Daytona 1976 Quilifying#1 k&k insurance dodge busted #2 Super Tex A.J. foyt Busted
    #3 qual. D.W. Bumped To #1 Had it hid better than the other 2

and we had jackie stewart on wide world of sports with one of are old round bottom surplus #10lb. tanks borrowed from the world famous # 8 middle to back of the pack 10,000 R.P.M. Dodge charger the same one dale sr. rented to finish 23 in the world 600 in ,75 w/bottle

24. steal32

steal32

hey you guys better ease up on my boy from ventura with the yellow ps car no one told him a 1# bottle full at @210* will probably
    pop.

he sure put it to em thow

25. steal32

steal32

ok im at L.A.C.R. for the western swing of the all HARLEY DRAGS And Im checking out this top fuel Harley And its got Small Hi Press. solenoids on it So i give a Bus. card to this H.A. Guy Standing there and ask him whats the solenoids for he says hi speed lean out but then he says hey come over here to my trailer for a sec we get in his trailer an he unzips his leathers and im thinking aw hell no we aint in prison

and he proceds to pull out one of our shop welded lo press. water bubble test osha 1lb. tanks im thinkinking if he knew how i tested them he wouldnt be havin it so close to the jewels

26. steal32

steal32

sorry i re started but usually i get all happy typin with my one finger and by time i get done and sub mit it tells me im timed out

but dude ran in P.S. Harley and had the 1/16 oil press line and a Q/disconect under the seat We had a good laugh when berney comes by and says What are you doing here nitrous isnt legal in any of these Harley classes
    I couldn't think of what to say so i told him If dudes nuts got to cold Iwould be ridin his bike
    damn near got my ass kicked for that one

27. A Rodder

A Rodder

bump, this is a good one

28. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

Was told of a former quite succesful alchohol funny car racer whos crew when they went down to tow him back had another fire jacket that had added weight sewn into that they would leave laying in the seat of the car when being scaled.Was told they never were caught.

29. GlenC

GlenC

I remember reading about a car running in the US stock classes many moons ago that was a regular winner, but the flag-off guy would swear he could smell alcohol fumes in its exhaust. Ths car always checked out 'clean' but he was eventually caught. He had an alcy tank inside the driver's door with a line running to the windscreen washer pump and from there into the carb.

Cheers, Glen.

30. Phil1934

Phil1934

The instructor for my welding class raced a Mini. Rules said it had to have a starter. He reckoned it didn't say operable so he knocked the ring gear off the flywheel. Since there was no ring gear, he also gutted the starter housing.