Register now to get rid of these ads!

Real FE or 5.0 for my roadster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FritzTownFord, Apr 25, 2008.

1. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Well, since I started this thread last year some things have changed.

First. I did score a nice 390 / C6 from a '69 Merc wagon. Second, I picked up my A-RPU roller from Brookville (below) and it is in my shop. Third, there ain't NO WAY I can get the FE in the car without killing all the precious leg room I need! Fourth, I picked up a '55 F-100 project. Sooo...

The FE is going into the Effie - just right look, and good torque for towing. I also scored a nice low mile 351 w/ T-5 for the RPU - And. I'm gonna put the Thunderbird valve covers on the 351, with some simple adapters from Dave Lane. That'll give everybody something to bitch about too. Perfect.

Thanks for all your input - FE die hards are still standin' proudly against the wind!

Anybody got another set of FE (round style) T-bird valve covers to sell?
    Holman/Moody?

Attached Files:

2. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

That's too bad. There's a couple Duece roadsters around here that look good
    with SOHC motors in them. They are Hot Rods.

3. Man, my dumb @ss didn't notice the initial post date when I responded. However, whoever got this thread cranked back up made it possible for some good photos to be posted.

At any rate, "Fritz", good luck with the RPU. The 351W is a pretty neat engine when hopped up ... produces some good torque. I have one in a '67 'Stang ... it's been fun.

4. Greg Shelton

Greg Shelton
    from CA

FE:
    Large...Heavy...Expensive...Hard to Get...Poor Gas Mileage...Weak Oiling System...Cooling Problems...etc...etc...etc...!

Still one of the Coolest and Most Unique Motors to ever come out of Detroit!

Designed in the Early 1950's as a 332c.i. Grocery Getter for Grandma's Edsel!

I always say, "Don't Dwell on it's Short-Comings...Instead Be Amazed at what the Engineers at Ford were able to Wring Out of it despite them!"

I have (20) of 'em...and I love 'em all!

I have a (1) 406; (5) 428's; and, (4) 427's to sell...Please Contact Me if you end up deciding to go with one!

Thanks, Greg
    Phone # (559) 784-7809
    E-Mail: [email protected]

5. twofosho

twofosho

Why fake it up like small block Chevy guys feel they have to do? Save the T bird rockers for the FE going in the Effie, and just plunk on a set of Motorsport Boss rocker covers, the ones with horizontal top surface, after milling the Ford Racing nomenclature off if it bothers you, and hold your head high.

Pictures don't do these things justice, you've got to see them on a motor. Nice "traditional" late 60s vibe to them. Makes you dream of finding a manifold with one of those inline Autolite carburetors mounted to it.

6. John50

John50

I have a FE 427 SO stroked/bored to a 490, the motor screams but it is a tight fit. i also run a 351 stroked out to a 408. The 408 is a monster, not nearly as expensive and a smaller motor. I remember the engine builder telling me the heads never flowed right on the FE's and the 351 platform was a better choice for the money.

7. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Hey Greg, I just wanta check out your storage yard! Imperials?

At least you know what to do with old Camaros - weather proof storage box! Ha!

I replyed to your e-mail - love that 3/2 set up but I'm a workin stiff.

8. tjm73

tjm73

If doing a 351W Look for an F4TE engine block. OEM roller cam blocks. My brother has a 418W based on a roller 351W block. Makes around 475hp we estimate from weight, e.t. and mph.

9. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

Get rid of the wheezy stock heads on most (not all) FEs, put on some good ones, and see what happens.

<i>EDIT:
    The good block casting numbers for FE's are D3 (I think) or D4 (I'm sure). They are reinforced and I think all the motor mount bosses are on them, some just need drilled. My D4 didn't need anything, bolt up and go with a nice strong block</i>

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009