Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kick off to my new project: 1933 Ford 5W coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Well, I was warning everyone that when my roadster was on the road I was going to dive into my 33 coupe project. I NEED something other than a 4 banger to drive around :D So I spent part of the weekend cleaning the coupe off/out as it had become a storage unit all winter. I organized parts and kind of got an idea of what I need. I kind of mocked it together to see what she'll kind of look like.
    Over the past year I've collected quite a few parts for the build: nice frame, firewall, doors, orrignal dropped axle, stock rearend, stock rebuilt steering box, 59AB W/merc crank, Fenton heads, Evans 2x2, Winfield cam, juice brakes, 39 trans, nice dash with plated insert and super nice gauges that a good friend gave me. I have a ton of other junk too, but this will be my recipe for an early 50's style 33 street highboy. It'll have 16" solid wheels and sit A LOT like Kevin Silvias 34 coupe
    (Love your car to death Kevin). Nothin fancy or over done, but sinister non the less. It will be chopped but the exact ammount is not determined.

So here she is. I'm going to attack the roof first, get that squared away before unbolting it from the frame. I have a complete other 5W roof if needed, but I'm going to try and save as much of this one as I can. I seen worse get fixed! Don't exspect fast progress, this may take me a while :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  2. Carter

Carter

Can't wait to see progress on this.

I've yet to see a car of yours that doesn't rule.

3. trad27

trad27

nice :eek: im looking forward to this build.

4. B1RDMAN

B1RDMAN

workin with a nice bunch of pieces there, good luck on the build, definately interested to see where your heading.

5. CanyonCarver

CanyonCarver
    from So-Cal

This looks like a very good start, man! Lucky duck!

6. Searcher

Searcher

That picture of the spare cowl is a good example of just how cool the lines were on these last butter fly hoods, 33 - 36.

7. As much as I'd like to say something nice, the jealousy is just killin me! You sir, have too many good toys.

8. jlow

jlow
    BANNED

do you ever sleep ....looks like a begining to another great build

9. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Man, it must be nice to have so many kick ass cars layin' around..........

10. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

How many bitchin' cars do you have now? I can't wait to see this build progress.

11. Brandi

Brandi

Get to it!! I'd like to see you drive to the next Billetproof!! Hardeeharhar!

12. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Just one dude. Can't a guy get jealous once in a while? Im sure Chris will make this car kick ass, just like his others.........:cool:

13. hvychvy

hvychvy

Cool,can't wait. Subscribing now:D

14. so next thursday it will be on the road;)

15. Thanks guys. I'm no magic man, thats for sure. This thing will be long term, I'm thinking 2-3 years. It needs a lot of body work...something I'm not the best at, so I guess just dive right in and get 'er done :D

16. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I like her just the way she is, I really dig the dice.

17. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Three days and a screwdriver and you should have it running. I'll check back on Friday for your progress...

18. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Looking forward to it...

19. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Cool.

Just promise us you'll keep all the updates in one thread, ok? No more of this new-thread-for-every-screw kinda shtuff, ok?? :p

Get to it!

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You are my favorite "Car Put Together-er's" out there right now. You definitely do it in a style and manner that is reminiscent of what would have been done. Nothing is over the top or screams "hey look at me". Instead you are definitely giving a lot of guys a lesson in under stated Hot Rods.

On the other hand, you are a twelve foot tall goon so it's nice to see you do something that does not attract more attention then you already have.:D:D:D Get that one done this month so I can drive your roadster and you can drive the '33 out in Wendover.

Rad Chris, just plain Rad.

21. RAY With

RAY With

My favorite cars and have been for 50+years. I love the 33-34 coupes and roadsters and hope you post progress reports so we can all see them. It looks like you have some nice parts to begin with and the end results most likely will be bitchen.

22. So, what your saying is I build rat rods??? ;):D

Yeah, I'll throw this thing together for B-ville if you get your 32 done and meet me there. Deal?

Seriously, thanks a lot. I just build what I like. The Model A coupe will forever be what it is, but this 33 and the roadster I do want nice. I just don't have the $$$ to do all this right now. Plus like I said I'm REALLY missing having a V8 car. So in other words, I'm really amped to get this sucka' going!

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I hear ya. I don't think the '32 will be ready by then because I am not even sure I will even have it in my possession by then. Still have not seen it in person. I did score a '32 Roadster Quarter on ebay last week for $280 bucks so that a good chunk of the battle. Expect my '32 to be running around 2012.

As far as you '33, I think it's going to be awesome. Can't wait to see what's up your sleeve. As far as building rat rods, I just think that your shit will forever be authentic. For some reason I don't see you breaking out the TIG and building a crazy gusseted frame that shows just how much of a bad ass welder you are but more of a simple and effective frame that work properly and looks the part. Whether you get shiny paint on that roadster or not is not going to take away form your style which I think had been pretty infectious to us.

It's definitely nice to see someone that more then likely has the talent to build something over the top, but instead reserves himself and shows what the common feller can do with a little know how. The Silva Special is a perfect example of a car that is just "right" in every sense of the word. He has got style for miles and can be seen in his current car as well as the previous sedan. You have that same vision. I need you to help me on my '32 when your done. Keep me in line and make sure when it's done, it's done right.

Exactly one month away dude til Bonneville. I am giggling like a little girl about it.

24. mr.smith

mr.smith

looks real good man

25. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Chris, You are a Hot Rod building Dynamo! I look forward to more up-date.

Nick.

26. Plowboy

Plowboy

Your 32 should hit the east coast sometime Sunday night, as long as Jr. and Spike aren't too hung over Sunday morning....

27. You know JJ, your a cool dude :D
    First off, thanks a lot. Means a lot pal. Second off- I don't own a tig welder (although I do want one bad) and flatheads don't make the power to require a bad-ass gusseted frame ;)

And finally, I like simple cars. Not that cars that are heavily modified are not bad ass, I love me a sweet modified coupe or roadster. I look at Hambers like Bass, Loudpedal, Chris Casney, Myke and other great builders and wished I had the talent to put a car together to that caliber. But theres something about a simple old car that just gets me going. I like using orriginal parts. See all that junk in the background of my pics> Thats all earl Ford junk that I collect. It's addicting. And thats one reason why a lot of my cars are "orriginal" or "patina" looking. Like take the picture of the gauges I have for this 33. The gauges themsekves are orrigjnal and in decent shape. Someone also plated the insert many moons ago. Together they look just bitchin, like they have been together for 50 years. You don't get that "vibe" with new stuff. So it's hard to build a car nice, shiny and new while trying to use old stuff that you don't want to restore, and it's just as hard to build a new car and try to make it look old. So I scrounge the swap meets looking for the neat orriginal gems that make me weak at the knees. I collect and hoard this "neat stuff" and soon I have enough to put a car together. So I do it in a style that I dig. Pretty simple shit.

As far as your 32, dude get on it. A 32 Ford is one of the few cars I have not had the chance to own or even work on, so I'd be stoked to kick you my 2 cents if needed.

1 month man- bring your sunscreen, glasses and water. The rest will work it self out

28. -Brent-

-Brent-

So true! Can't wait to see your roadster out there!

29. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

I am soooo jealous of this car already... Don't anybody shoot me but I like the 33-4 better than a 32. Just plain sexy cars if you ask me!

30. Plowboy

Plowboy

I concur....