Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. allstarracing

allstarracing

Two time Brownstown Speedway champion Tom Seadler.

[​IMG]

2. allstarracing

allstarracing

Homer French in my backup car that I loaned him to run the B-Class at the Drome. He won 10 features, 8 in a row. Only ran half of the season and still finished second in points.

[​IMG]

3. allstarracing

allstarracing

A couple of my pure stocks for Charlestown.

[​IMG]

4. allstarracing

allstarracing

Lost this Ford July 3rd 1968. Hit a car so hard It broke in half. Had to bring it home with two wreckers. slid it back together so neighbors would not complain.

[​IMG]

5. That's true for NASCAR...1953 rules mandated roll bars for hardtops & 'verts, "recommended" them for post cars. Not so sure what the Midwestern Association of Race Cars rules were...

As for headlights/taillights; quite a few NASCAR Grand National cars were transitioning from full lights to sheet metal discs/hubcaps over the headlight openings in 53-54. Fireball Roberts ran full lights on his Buick at Darlington in '55, so it seems to be a hit-and-miss thing even in the middle part of the decade. Not sure how this applies to MARC rules though.

6. [​IMG]

Marshall Teague (Hudson), Mike Klapak (#35 Nash), and Ray Duhigg (#98 Plymouth) go roundy-round at Dayton; June 24, 1951.

[​IMG]

1950 Plymouth owned by Bill France, Alvin Hawkins, and Hubert Westmoreland. Johnny Mantz drove this car to victory in NASCAR's first 500 mile race at Darlington. Three weeks later, Leon Sales drove it to victory at North Wilkesboro and Tim Flock finished 4th in the car at Orange Speedway in October. Car is on display at the Darlington Raceway Museum.

[​IMG]

Dick Meyer's '50 Fastback at Carrell Speedway circa 1951-52.

7. allstarracing

allstarracing

My last super latemodel at the Drome. Won races at Drome, Whitesville and Beech Bend. will have more pictures of it later.

[​IMG]

8. allstarracing

allstarracing

Dennis Caves at Salem in his last ASA car before he died.

[​IMG]

9. allstarracing

allstarracing

It is pronounced Klapack. I have old videos with the anouncers saying it that way. Allstarracing

10. allstarracing

allstarracing

Steve Packer in my super late model at the Drome

[​IMG]

11. allstarracing

allstarracing

Steve Packer at the Fairgrounds

[​IMG]

12. larry-41

larry-41

the other two are rich johnson and the one on the right is my dad larry foster on page 85 pic 1696 found this sight by accident this is super.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  13. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

allstarracing, again your photos bring back memories. In Post No. 1772, the Ventura wreck in the infield, official on the left with his back to the camera appears to be either my son or Tom Ford.

Interesting Ventura story. At Corbin our Pure Street class is almost exclusively Camaros. Guy brought a Nova in, and I told him I was going to call it a Ventura. He asked why, and I said, "We've got plenty of Chevrolets." They brought another one in a week later and I called it an Olds Omega.

14. allstarracing

allstarracing

Indybigjohn I might be wrong but I think that is your son. Seems as I remember Tom Ford as more slender,taller,shoulders a little more sloped foward and shorter straighter hair. He used to do the on track car lineups and I don't remember him there that night.

15. allstarracing

allstarracing

I have pictures of NASCAR Grand Nationals and modifieds from Daytona I think 74 and 75 when I was there with Charlie Paxton and ARCA. I am digging them out and will get them scaned. Also more pictures fron San Gabriel, Riverside and Ontario Cali. when I crewed and ran NASCAR sportsman. I will post the stockcars here and the modifieds on the other sight. Hope to get them scaned this weekend.

An interesting side note. When I applied for my NASCAR license back then you could get a Sportsman or Grand National license. I got a Grand National license and wanted the no. 97. Red Farmer my hero of the day allready had it so they said I could use 97w denoting "west coast". and my license no. was LCB97w.Allstarracing

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  16. allstarracing

allstarracing

Can someone tell me what the go advanced button does on the quick reply? I looked everywhere I could think of for the answer but didn't find it. Allstarracing

17. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I think it just takes you to the regular post section, don't think you can post pictures on the quick reply button, least that was the way it used to be?

Heck, try it and see what happens! :eek: Don't think the web board will melt down or anything. :D Gene

18. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

anybody that had RED FARMER as a hero is allrighty in my book. F-97,still racin to

19. monsterflake

monsterflake

it just gives you access to all the thread 'tools', pretty much the same as when you 'quote' a reply, same options.

you can add multiple pictures to a response if you want, click on the yellow square with the mountains {and what looks like a stamp} and add the url or address {http...} for each picture you want to show. there's a limit how many you can add to a single reply, but i think it's 20 or so...

20. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

Does anyone have pictures of the 6 cylinder class NASCAR had in the early 60's? I think they only ran it for a couple years. Chrysler over dominated with the Hyper-Pak Slant Sixes.

Here is a link to pictures of a Petty Valiant slot car I built using a MoPar calendar picture as reference:

http://www.professormotor.com/43valiant.shtml

Marty

21. Falconred

Falconred

Gwhite, I ment to ask this the other day, is the Leon Sells you mention the same one that ran dirt around Atlanta back in the '70s-'80s??

"1950 Plymouth owned by Bill France, Alvin Hawkins, and Hubert Westmoreland. Johnny Mantz drove this car to victory in NASCAR's first 500 mile race at Darlington. Three weeks later, Leon Sales drove it to victory at North Wilkesboro and Tim Flock finished 4th in the car at Orange Speedway in October. Car is on display at the Darlington Raceway Museum."

22. allstarracing

allstarracing

Nascar was still running a 6 cylinder class on the west coast when I left in 1972.The killer cars were 56 Plymouth savoys with slant sixes. I will have to look up the drivers name that was series champion. I think his first name Bill. He was Killed at riverside I think. He was a Petty protege' and was being groomed for Petty Enterprises and he had everybody covered. Supposedly he was running a Petty car used as a sportsman when he wrecked. I won't swear to that but thats what I heard. There are pictures in the older Stockcar racing magazines of the six cylinder cars.Allstarracing

23. allstarracing

allstarracing

Hey Indybigjohn I have a picture of you leaning on the hood of my car after a feature win at Charlestown with your son sitting on the steps leading from the flag stand to the track and one with you at the front of the car after another feature win with Tom Ford coming down those steps. It is your son in the picture of the Ventura in the infield. I will get those pictures scaned and posted soon.Allstarracing

24. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, allstarracing. I look forward to seeing them.

25. twistedmetalvideo

twistedmetalvideo
    from Indiana

Check out clips from an interview I did W/Jack McDonald on youtube, I see him from time to time, he'll be glad to know someone was asking about him.

26. twistedmetalvideo

twistedmetalvideo
    from Indiana

Just found this great site yesterday. I've been doing video work for the Sportsdrome Speedway in Jeffersonville, IN since 2001. The Sportsdrome currently has a monthly tv show on ICN2 in the Louisville area & race videos are available. I've been looking for old stuff from the Sportsdrome & Fairgrounds(Louisville , KY) 1961-80 for several years. I have a decent collection some of which you can view some of at twistedmetalvideo.com. I'm always on the lookout for more so if anyone can help be sure to let me know. I'm especially looking for Sportsdrome Programs from 1966-1975 if anyone has any of those they have been nearly impossible to find.

Johnny Potts great to see you on here, looking forward to meeting a lot of other new folks soon.

27. larry-41

larry-41

bucrons i have heard alot about them,you didnt by any chance get them from andy vertrees or larry foster back in the day larry ismy dad

28. larry-41

larry-41

p.s.july 12th is larry fosters birthday he will be 63 happy birthday "dad"

29. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Those were the days. Guys looking high and low for bucron tires and mid-50s Mercury bumpers.

30. allstarracing

allstarracing

No. Two of them came from Tom Winters that he had ran and two were from Jim Taylor. Tom winters had them also but they still had Jims name and number on them in grease pencil. Taylor and a couple of more drivers went together and took a trailer north and bought all they could find. We had used up all that were around here. They kept what they wanted and sold the rest to cover expenses and make a profit. These two were his that he never run after he brought then back. These tires were the boss hoggs until 1968. In 68 I set the track record at the Drome with a nearly new set I found in Elizabethtown and ten minutes later Andy Vertrees reset it with the first set of actual racing tires anyone had seen on a figure eight car. Then the demise of the bucron started because racers could buy race tires locally and they had become faster than the bucrons. The bucrons were so sought after until 68 that some racers would cut a tire and put it inside a bucron that had a slice or hole in it to use up the tire. A bucron was good until there wasn't anything left. I have seen them with holes worn in them and another tire tread cut and put inside. Allstarracing