Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need ideas from women for an online ladies automotive magazine (LIA Magazine)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LIALady, Jun 29, 2009.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Sherry, good star to the list except I have to respectfully disagree with point number #2. I really could care less where I park at an event. Give me some grass and alittle shade and I'm fine. I actually perfer to spend the evenings out in the hotel/motel parking lots at the events till alte, then sleep in abit, then hit the show arriving mid-morning. The crack of dawn arrival thing is not for me.

#1, 3, & 4 are right on the money though.

Megan & I do have a saying though when were road tripping and have to get up early to put some major miles under our tires....."we can sleep when we're dead" :D

It's funny you should mention the purse thing, a few years ago when Paso was still Paso, I really, really wanted a Trophy Queen purse. After viewing the pricetag at Paso I came to the conclusion that I would rather put that money toward my interior, which at the time I was tranticly saving for, instead of buying the purse. In hinesight it really worked out for the better cuz after my interior was completed the shop sent my extra material to Jenny at Trophy Queen and I've got myself a purse that matches my interior.:D Something I would not have had if I had purchased one of her purses at Paso. Pays to wait, save and plan. Jenny ROCKS!

Sherry, please spend more time on the Ladies of the HAMB board and share more of what's going on in your west coast world. I get out there a few times a year and would love to meet up with you and see what's going on in your shop.

Julie, GREA thread. Thanks for starting it. I'll see you in a couple of weeks.

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

On this note perhaps we should create a Men of the HAMB Calendar for next year???:D

3. sherrys55caddy

sherrys55caddy

Early morning out here is a must for any parking at all-let alone shade and grass! lol I remember Mooneyes a few years back we lined up at 5am, by 7:30am lot was full. Happens all the time : (
    But I do enjoy a few cocktails post car show party @ the hotels! Good times : )
    I plan on attending Primer Nationals, Hotrod Renuion and possibly Barona Antique Nationals (if the clutch gets finished) Cant wait to spend somemore time on the Ladies of the HAMB. Super cool to see there is others that are like myself : )
    again THANKS JULIE-think your ideas are great!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  4. MissPrint

MissPrint

X2 ;):D

Of course, in my opinion, they should all be in "pin-up" poses. . .I'd pay good hard earned cash to see one of 'em doing the "bicycle pose" on the hood of a custom. . .;)

5. 32gal

32gal
    from The OC

This thread is great,hearing the opinions and ideas of the "Ladies of the Hamb" ! Its time we gals claimed our "space" here. Yea the Calendar idea is great,now lets organize it and make it happen.

6. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Doesn't everybody get enough of Breeder in a thong though?

I'll second a feature/interveiw with Megan and Denise too...Big Olds and Megan's Chevy are bad ass!!

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Perhaps each of us Ladies of the HAMB could take some calendar worthy shots of our male HAMB friends on their HAMB cars or on our HAMB car, then we could gather those photos up and collectively choose 12 and make a calendar.

I know I've LOVE to see Miss Print get one of those hot TX HAMB cowboys to pose with just a cowboy hat and boots on/near a tradtional hot rod!:D

And you have such a HUGE choice with all those California HAMB hotties....this could be fun!

8. kisam

kisam

After the dissapointment I have had with the TV shows, I would love to see a magazine that would do the job. Not that the girls on the shows couldn't work on cars (I really have no idea if they could), it just seemed that the show was more about creating drama. Good luck to you!

9. missysdad1

missysdad1

Hi Julia!

Good to see you active in publishing, still. You've certainly got the creds to get this whole idea off the ground! I took a look at your fledgling site and am impressed! Very nice layout, graphics, subject matter, and, of course, superlative photography!

There seems to be a great female following here on the HAMB, and recognition would be a really great thing (smartasses like wsdad aside...)! Lots of great material with dedicated rodder ladies!

I even like Frankie's (missprint) idea of a Men of the HAMB calendar...but what's a "bicycle pose"? :confused:...:eek:...:eek:

'Kay...I'll do it! :rolleyes:

Sorry I didn't return your email a while back...cyber gremlins deleted it...send me another with your email address and I'll catch you up, okay?

Later...

Eric Pierce / Missysdad1

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  10. LIALady

LIALady
    from Indiana

Sherry,
    I really like your ideas about the articles/interviews of the wives or daughters of the ol timers. Even the track gals or flaggers could prove interesting. Do you or anyone else have some names that you'd like to see if the magazine could get in touch with any of them?

Any relationship between couples usually needs to have something in common to have a strong foundation. Kind of like a house or the chassis of a vehicle. If the base isn't good and sound then you more then likely will be in trouble.

My husband and I have done so well doing the freelance work for all these years because of our combined love for the sport. In the beginning I had the love for photography and he had the love of cars and look what came out of the combination. Wow!!

I like your number 1, 3, and 4 the most. For me getting up early is for going out and doing an awesome photo shoot, otherwise the bed sounds pretty good to me. I do however respect those of you that want to get up early. Believe you me I have gotten up early with the rest of you to get a parking spot just to see what it was like and I did have fun, just don't want to do it all the time. If we all liked the same thing it would be a boring world. That's what makes life interesting.
    You've got some great ideas... Thanks a bunch for all of them.
    Keep them coming.

Your LIA Lady,
    Julia

11. LIALady

LIALady
    from Indiana

Mopar Mama,

In all my spare time or when I need to get away from everything to to deep thinking I like to work in my garden. Like you my nails get pretty nasty looking, however, I never gave it any thought about painting them to cover up the yuck! Thanks for the idea... I'd like to be the fly when the prospective bride gives you the disgusted look, oh well, live life to the fullest is my motto...

I have to laugh about the models posing by the car. I have done it a couple of times but only in a very tasteful manner. My husband and I have a '69 we've had for 25 years. Yes you are reading that correctly. We waited until we had our daughter raised. He always said the toys wouldn't take away from our needs and he/we sure have been patient on restoring. We are wanting to get going on that project real soon. Anyway he asked what I'd do if someone wanted to do a shoot on one of our cars, however, they wanted to have a model lay on the vehicle. Guess what the answer was, an absolute NO! Of course he knew how I felt and he totally agrees. His answer is go get your girlie book if that's what you want to view.
    Of course we could do our version of the snap-on tool catalog...Ladies working on cars or what... don't you think??

Your LIA Lady,
    Julia
    :)

12. LIALady

LIALady
    from Indiana

Denise,

I'm with you on point #2, however, I've done it a few times to ad a little flavor to the weekend when we're at a show. I do it sometimes for giggles. Other times I get up before the sun rises to do a shoot, though I prefer to do my shoots when the sun is setting.
    I'm with you as far as spending time in the hotel parking lot. We seem to find a lot of stories flying at that time, which has been an absolute blast for us.
    :D I love yours and Megan's saying about the road trips...sleep when your dead!!!
    The conversation we are all having here on the HAMB is similar to the conversing in the evenings at the hotels. This is great!

Your most welcome on starting the thread. I just need to know what all of you would like to see in the magazine. Remember this is about Ladies in Autosports. I'm trying to capture hot rodding, CEO's, Jr. Dragsters, Indy Cart, Formula 1, Drag Racing, Nascar, Fabricators, Welders, Marketers, Engineers, Women standing behind their man, Men standing behind their women, Younger Gals getting involved, etc.

Looking forward to meeting you at GGColumbus...

Your LIA Lady,
    Julia

13. LIALady

LIALady
    from Indiana

Sherry,

Which Hotrod Reunion are you talking about attending? What are the dates for that event?

Your LIA Lady,
    Julia

14. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

15. LIALady

LIALady
    from Indiana

Hey Everyone,

You keep talking about the calendar and you have my head spinning with ideas, of course for me I believe in it being done very tastefully...Why not do a poster calendar? My Computer Graphics Degree... side is filling up with numerous ways to do a neat one... Isn't brain storming cool...

Your LIA Lady,
    Julia

16. LIALady

LIALady
    from Indiana

Kathy,

My magazine is not meant to create drama, except for a month by month following a build-up of someone's ride, or about an up and coming racer working hard to find sponsorships, etc. My intention is to create a sharing of the common tribal knowledge. Let's get the networking going...Why are we keeping all this valuable information to ourselves? Glad that all of you are so willing to share with me your thoughts on what you'd like to see in the magazine.

I know that there will be times when the magazine's engine isn't tuned up just right and might sputter... Remember from time to time I'll have to sit back to rejuvenate and figure out if LIA Magazine is heading in the right direction to benefit all of us. So please bare with me when I might need to make readjustments so that we can get things back on the right road, so to speak...

Thanks to all of you for the great ideas.

Your LIA Lady,
    Julia

17. LIALady

LIALady
    from Indiana

Eric,

Oh my gosh, what a wonderful surprise to hear from you. Thank you for your nice and kind words. Yes, we are still involved in this great sport. I've tried to step away from it more then one, however, something keeps driving me back to the autos... pardon the play on words. I've done quite a few things since we last spoke we have a lot of catching up to do.

I'm trying to let everyone know how bad I want this magazine for all us gals. I definitely feel that it is about time that some great women in the sport get the recognition that they so deserve.

I need to finish up because in about 4 1/2 hours we'll be heading out to Des Moines Iowa. I'll email you once we get out there and we can let you know what has been going on in our lives.

Thanks so much for posting on this thread.
    Talk to you soon...

Your LIA Lady and Friend,
    Julia

18. LIALady

LIALady
    from Indiana

Silent Orchestra,

Several have told me that I need to do a feature/interview with Megan and Denise. I have had you gals here on the HAMB as well as other gals and guys that knows us and them...Looks like maybe LIA Magazine should look in to doing such a thing... What kind of automotive things would you like to have me ask that no one has asked them before?

Thanks for the information... Keep the ideas flowing...

Your LIA Lady,
    Julia

19. LIALady

LIALady
    from Indiana

Hotrd32,

Thanks so much for the info, I'll check out Lauren's gound-up build of her hot rod...

Your LIA Lady,
    Julia
    :)

20. LIALady

LIALady
    from Indiana

Hey Everyone,

It is late... do you know where your hot rod is?

Anyway, I'm signing off untill this evening when at such time I'll be getting in to Des Moines, Iowa. Keep the thread going and I'll catch up with all of you at that time.

As I've said before, thanks so much for all your ideas, this is exactly what I need, all this brainstorming...to get yours and my juices flowing.

Talk to you all this evening....

Your LIA Lady,
    Julia

21. sherrys55caddy

sherrys55caddy

Bakersfield Hotrod reunion-Oct. 16-18, ..ITS THE BEST..I seriously wait for this show all year long. ALOT of the ol racers, Tommy Ivo, Junior Thompson, Don Garlits, A remember seeing a few of their wives there : )
    Actually went to the NHRA museum twilight cruise tonight and they had a feature on the Classic Trophy Queens. A few well known names for possible interviews you might want to look up are : Kathleen Hughes, Hila Sweet (she raced) and Raquel Tejada later becomes Raquel Welch (Yes! she was a trophy queen), Linda Vaughn and Jungle Pam. Maybe just for thought some customizers: George Barris Daughter Joji, The late Ed Roth's wife Ilene Roth, Daryl Starbird's wife Donna, Bill hines Wife lova ...The list could go on and on and on...:)

22. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

Super dooper!

23. I can remember names like Vicky Woods and Denise McCluggage that raced and were factory test drivers in the Fifties and Sixties. You might want to look at the ladies that race at Bonneville and El Mirage. The car that I'm running was previously driven by a real great lady Marge Price. I know they all have a lot of very interesting stories....

24. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

Wow Julia, that is really amazing. I respect the hell out of the fact that you waited! I got my panties all in a twist, bought a car with no clue of what I was getting into, and then about a year later bought another. Still don't really know what I'm doing, but like you said live life to its fullest, and I decided I was tired of waiting. I've wanted to build a car since the first time I went to a drag race. It was magical...Hope you've got a wrench in that little lady's hand!
    I will admit, I've also posed with a car or two (I'm a burlesque dancer, sometimes it can't be avoided) but I steer clear of it if at all possible. Now, I'd do it in my coveralls though!
    Anyway, now I'm yapping, and this is really not thread worthy. Oh well, it's good for a bump if nothing else.
    Bump! :D
    Calendar, yes. Definitley.

25. LIALady

LIALady
    from Indiana

Dry Lakes Wheel Man,

Thanks so much for the names of people to interview...That is awesome who owned your car prior to you...I'm sure all have great stories to communicate/network with other women. Thanks for the information...

Your LIA Lady,
    Julia

26. LIALady

LIALady
    from Indiana

Mopar Mama,

I want to start on our 69 Z28 Camaro, like now... We've had way tooo.... many interuptions to try to work on the car. I'm trying to figure out how to get my husband convinced that he just need to start working on the Z, that would help us de-stress....

Yes, I agree on a calendar for us ladies...

Your LIA Lady,
    Julia

27. Let me know if you need any Chicagoland HAMBers to pose for the calendar.... A few of us ladies may be able to twist some arms...

As for ideas: Build pictorials might benefit all of us gals since so many of the guys question if we really do the work ourselves. Stay tuned for a new project in the near future!

-Star

28. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Flame away.........

BUT this looks a lot like Spam to me!

you guys could easily do Pm's to each other or the social group thing...

I guess its alright ,

First R/R

Now this spam....

MAY BE JUST ME ,

Like I said FLAME AWAY.....

29. LIALady

LIALady
    from Indiana

TwinkleTwinkle,

I agree with your idea about showing the women during the build of their vehicle. That is the one thing I liked that a publication that I done work for in the past did with their features. Along with the feature they would have build-up images of the vehicle. They would show a few from beginning to end. This is what I'd like to do for features that I put up online. So, all you gals make sure you get friends/family to take pics as your building your ride. My husband and I really enjoy seeing those type of shots along with the feature...

Your LIA Lady,
    Julia

30. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yeah, except for the fact she is asking the HAMB community as a whole what type of articles they's like to see in her web-zine, NOT just asking this question to the gals of the HAMB therefore PM's and LOTH social group exclusivtivity would not be the optima communication tools.