Register now to get rid of these ads!

Two people killed in antique car acc.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dalesnyder, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlow

jlow
    BANNED

what a shame,,,,,

2. tooslow54

tooslow54

Very sad.

FYI: Guys, a lot of times unless there's something clear cut (DUI) the police won't immediately file charges. They'll gather the data and submit it to the local DA.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

In Texas we call that vehicular manslaughter whether the driver has been drinking or not. Stupidity and genetic defects are no excuse for killing someone in this fashion.
    The roads are public and the minimum speed limit on most highways and freeways is 45 MPH, not 65, not 70, not 50... 45 MPH.
    Any maroon who hits a car from the rear, day or night, that is moving legally in a lane of traffic or worse, correctly lit and parked on the shoulder of the roadway, deserves a trip to the Walls Unit pending execution. A drinking driver... well there's no question about guilt or punishment there, is there?

4. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Thank You..............

5. True, I was just pointing out that someone crossing the centerline is about as careless as running into the rear of someone. Careless driving can be tragic, no matter what you're driving. Too many distactions these days.

6. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Respect, there is none. How can you miss a vehicle in front of you, unless you are a moron who should not be driving. Ten years old.......ten years old. :(

8. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

WOW what a pissed off mob we have here and yet no facts posted or known ,a sign of simple minded people . its a bad deal all around and my prayers go to both familys involved .c

9. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

Not knowing what happened it is hard to say much - other that a damn shame!
    Today my significant other was delivering a Large State Police Unit and broke down. He got to the side of the road, while waiting for Road Assistance - 3
    passer-byers came close to hitting the State Police Unit! This Unit is half the size of a fire truck, how can you not see it? Bottom line hardly anyone moves over for vehicles on the side of the road and everyone else is busy on cell phones and text messaging while driving.
    We are on the road a lot, I can not begin to tell you how many people I see are actually reading while driving 70-80 miles an hour, AMAZING.

Sad news, Prayers to the family!

10. we might be simple minded in your narrow view of the world however if you read the story HE REARENDED the people he killed!! not hard to understand,and most of us read the rules when we came to the HAMB and did a intro out of respect for those here,couldnt find yours.............have a nice day

11. Simple minded? wtf have you been smokin! the guy was goin 50 and a moron nails him in the ass on a multi lane hwy, what more do you need?

12. r8odecay

r8odecay

I have a feeling charges will be filed once the DA gets the file. I sure hope so.

13. Kind of self rightous, holier than thou...aren't you... did you read the first post, I wasn't going to join the "rant" but I find your "Simple Minded" crack
    insulting and rather childish. are you sure you are from Texas, must be that liberal part of Texas... I try to stick with more positive posting but you sir disapoint me.. maybe you have never lost anyone especial a child to one of these highway lunatics, like some of us have...

14. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

If the model A was going 50 when it was hit the moron must've been hauling ass that hit it. The guy killed a ten year old. He deserves to be charged definitely. I have no mercy for idiot drivers. One of my friends was driving home from work here in so cal one night. He was on the freeway going 65 which is the speed limit here. Anyhow some broad putting on her make-up plowed into him going about 80 or faster. My friend was knocked unconcious and the fuel cell in the trunk blew up and he was in the vehicle unconcious and burning alive. Two guys coming home from a night club stopped and pulled him out of the car and left before CHP got there because they had been drinking and didn't want to risk getting in any trouble. But he is lucky they stopped. All because of a careless driver. This poor ten year old girl is gone because of a careless driver. Thats just sad.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  15. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Exactly! I cant believe they let him go! Especially if he rear ended them! I HATE how average, selfish sub-humans drive in their fucking sheepmobiles! Thats the problem, just about any fuck could have a license and a cage on wheels if they simply have a paycheck:mad:

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Terrible news to hear for sure. 50 is pretty fast in a stock T and even it it just got bumped from behind a little that could make him lose control and if they didn't have any seat belts, that is pretty much all it would take at that speed to be the end for both of them.

It was 6:30pm and the sun still up a bit, so should have been able to see them plenty well. But as we all know, there are a hell of a lot of careless driving all around everywhere. Could have happened on a side street going 30 with some jerk doing 50 or getting t-boned at an intersection by a Lincoln Exterminator. Very old cars and T's especially just aren't that safe against most of todays cars with the way people drive today. Very sad. Condolences to the family and hope the father and daughter are still together in spirit if nothing else.

17. Do not speak on things you do not understand. Stock model As will not cause anyone to loose anything except their lives in an accident if it is not equipped with seat belts. Stock model As have more like 28 hp at the rear wheels on a good day. They move actually pretty quick off a dead stop. Maybe all early volkswagens should be banned from the road also since they only have a measly 36hp and its more like 20 at the rear wheels. Let people drive whatever the hell they want and enjoy it. Its their life not yours.

RIP to the man and child who lost their lives godspeed.-Weeks

I can agree with the hot rod them all aspect but many cars were aerodynamic from early on they just needed some refining and more HP.-Weeks

18. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Watch, were gonna find out that the thing had a BBC in it.

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Not to discount terrible events like these,

While driving home from the recent Billetproof show in Ocala, I passed several REALLY slow moving "traditional" cars (several rats and a custom or two) on I-75 south bound who were evidently peddeling as fast as they could in the right hand lane at 50 mph or so. Legal, sure. But imagine that, "hot rods" that are slower than Grandpa Marvin's farm car or a veggie vendor's load of water melons. If your ride can't keep up on the interstate, shouldn't you be taking the far safer scenic by-ways? There are a LOT of idiots on the interstate who just aren't paying enough attention anyway, why place yourself in the path of some speeder working the right lane who thinks the cops don't notice him?

With all respect to the family involved, Gary

20. onedge

onedge

I agree and can relate! RUDE FUCKERS! ASS RIDERS!
    Very sad story.

21. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

unwarranted self importance is the trend today with many drivers today. i've had close calls in my new cars with tailgaters and assholes on cell phones. i constantly seem to drive with my eye on the rear view mirror in my old cars because so many drivers seem to want to fly up on old cars and tailgate. this is sad.

22. That's where you need to follow the example set by the OJ Simpson case - the original one - where legally he was innocent, but the family was able to ruin his life just the same with a civil suit that indrectly led to him acting like an idiot enough to do something he did get nailed for.

Now in the case of either of these accidents, there is no question whatsoever that the driver of the second vehicle struck and killed occupants of the first vehicle, so I would think with some expert testimony as to the speeds or distractions required to cause the resulting damage, winning in civil court should be a slam dunk.

The article does note this accident is under investigation.

There was a local guy who I used to see at the shows with a Model A tudor, a fairly trad car with a flatty and torque tube drive. I forget how the subject came up the one time I spoke with him but he said the car was a replacement for a coupe that they'd been hit in and both doors popped right open and threw him and his wife out of the car. He had some pretty good scars from it. I'd be willing to bet the same happened here - a stock A with no seat belts and the doors flew open. With nothing to hold you in it really does not take that much force to throw you out of the car, especially if you're not expecting it.

I would say the thing to learn from this is not only to have seat belts, but to put some bear claw latches in the doors on those early cars. Even the '50s cars could use them, there was another accident not that long ago where a girl fell out of a '54 Buick and was killed because the door flew open.

I even saw a local accident last fall, passed it not long after it happened. '62-3 Dodge fullsize if I remember right, just nosed off the road into some scrub trees far enough to go the length of the car, the car looked like even if it had some damage to the nose it was going to be drivable, but I'm sure someone was thrown into the dash since both occupants were in the car and there'd been enough time for an ambulance to show up. 55 speed limit there, too. I never saw any news articles on it though.

I personally get so I hate driving the interstate. I try to pick a speed and stay at it. If I go 65-70, cars and some trucks constantly roll up on my ass and have to pass me. If I try to do 75-80, then I constantly have to slow down either to pull out to pass other cars, or for cars already passing vehicles going still slower. If I'm not in a hurry I just drive two lane back roads I know have light traffic, and I can just wave the tailgaters on by if I need to. It really doesn't matter what you drive, a lot of people drive like assholes, and they probably won't stop even if they do get in an accident.

23. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

The minimum speed for the freeway is 45..he was doing 50 and had a slow moving sign in the window..
    No matter if you feel he was right to drive or not on the freeway..he was legal to do so..and the dip shit that wasnt paying attention while opperating his vehicle that slamed into the back of them at obviously way over the speed limit should be charged with wreckless driving at a minumum..maybe even involentary manslaughter..
    what a shame..cant even enjoy a ride down the road with out becoming a battering ram, probably no way for them to get out of that guys way..what the hell was he in such a dam hurry for anyways?

rear ending a vehicle is definetly the persons fault who does the rear ending.i doubt this guy will walk away with out some kind of charges..but the shame of it is those 2 people in that A just out for a fun drive didnt have a chance with this dip shit on the road

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  24. Truckedup

Truckedup

Bad news for sure..........Minumum speeds on Interstate hiways might vary from state to state but I believe 50 mph is the highest minimum speed.So the Model A was driving at legal speed.
    You don't run over a slower moving vehicle,you supposed to be looking beyond the cars in front of you and safely pass the vehicle.Drivers get in a passing frenzy,going around left and right,can't wait one fucking second for the safe pass.
    A stock Model A ,even a roadster has a high profile and an alert driver sees it easily.Modern vehicles have excellent braking and handling and should be no problem to avoid an issue like this.
    None of us were there to see this accident,the Model A driver might have done something stupid ,but it sure appears like a case of inattention by the guy who crashed into the A.

25. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

you really need the optional safety features, like flamethrowers.
    its a shame a old car and two people all had to go for some A hole.
    while the expressway might not be safe for 50mph cars its also not safe for fast cars that cant reduce speed sufficiently or drivers who are not sure how to slow there own vehicle when approaching a a slower vehicle.
    i dont know what the limit is there but here in Australia the freeway is shared with learner and provisional liscense holders who are speed limited so you just have to accept it and slow down instead of ramming them.

26. vertible59

vertible59

There's a killer on the road. His mind is squirming like a toad. The problem, as I see it, is the me first attitude that holds so many in its grip. Common courtesy is dead, and so is a child and her father or grandfather.

27. lugnutz9032

lugnutz9032
    from Palatka,Fl

I drive a truck and Ca and Oh alone don't qualify as most places.Prayers from Fl to the family.

28. Prayers to the family and the victims.
    Who knows what happened at this point. If charges are warranted, I'm sure they will be forthcoming.
    Everyone is in a hurry. I always seem to have someone riding up my rear here in NJ, where it's five points for tailgating, plus a fine.
    Too many distractions these days; cell phones, I-pods, etc.

29. BarneyO

BarneyO
    from here

I70 has three lanes out there. The model A was in the RIGHT lane. Maybe 50 was slower then the -65- limit!

Ive been tailgated and honked at while doing 65 (the speed LIMIT) on I70 and I81
    Just like the poor, ye shall also have jerks with you always.

Knowing Md law enforcement, the 'offending' driver will probably walk away with a small fine.

30. henrys_way

henrys_way
    from Maine

Really Really Hate hearing about that sort of thing....it could happen to anyone...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.