Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds Heads question 324

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ocfab, Jul 2, 2009.

1. ocfab

ocfab

I have a quick question on olds heads i have a pare of #8's and #10's
    what is the diffrance in the two. CC's

thanks,

adam

2. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Do a search on Oldsmobile tech. Lots of info here. #8 are 1955 and #10 are 1956. #10s are better flowing with, I think, taller intake ports. Not sure but #10 valves may be a little larger.

3. Adam, the #10s have a different rocker ratio. Worth a few horsepower.

4. ocfab

ocfab

i did a search but did not find the info i was looking for.
    are they the same cc's ?
    do they have the same size valves?

the #8's are on the motor and have adjustable rockers and dimple valvecovers i was told they are isky but don't see any markings what is an easy way to find the ratio?

5. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA

#10s are the saught after heads. use 'em.

6. ocfab

ocfab

i know that but i would like to know why they are better

7. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I think yhe #10's are about 50cc's larger. I just made the # up but at least you got an answer now.

Seriously, I also have a 303 in my car and a 324 w/ #10 heads waiting in the wings. I'm curious as well.

8. F&J

F&J

Ocfab, I'd run the motor with the 54-55 #8 for now. Heck, you won't be match racing the gasser Willys :) why complicate things if you have a "together motor" for now. You can swap later, rather than add more to your plate.

How to tell the ratio: The 1.5 was used up to 51 or 52, but lots of hotrod motors used both ratios depending on the cam grind.

So, look straight down at the long rocker shaft where they go through the rocker stands. If the shaft looks like it must be almost touching the LARGE rocker stand bolt shank, then it is 1.8 stands...and unless the builer screwed up, then it should also be 1.8 rockers.

The 1.5 rocker stands have the long rocker shaft just about dead centered between the LARGE stand bolt, and the SMALLER stand bolt.

If this sounds confusing; the 1.8 rockers needed to be offset to the max to have the rocker line up, so Olds moved the rocker shaft right up against the Large stand bolts.

I think it was hamber 57OLDS who just did a good post on those Isky chrome covers with dimples. He said the stock Olds painted dimpled covers were bought up by Isky and then chromed and sold to any Olds owner (in the early 60s).

Now, my question is, are you going to finally build a dam rocket 32 :) Times a wastin'

9. ocfab

ocfab

F&J,

i have been working on it as much as my 6 month old girl will let me LOL but i have a 3 day weekend and will work on it. so the 327 is comming out this weekend and the 324 is going in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Olds used 1.5 ,49 thru 51, then went to 1.8 rockers. cheap hop up for a 49=51 olds.

11. Ol'SkoolYoungun

Ol'SkoolYoungun

ok hold on im a big oldsmobile motor guy those are both smallblock heads the 8s are shity they dont flow for crap they were called smog heads my 75 cutlass had them and they are 79 ccs and the 10s are 57 ccs both are from 73 to 77 engines 8 were on a 350 and 10 on a 260 dont use the 8s those are good for boat ancors and the 10s im not sure i am running a pair of 72 7a and those are 64 ccs i hope this helped

12. ocfab

ocfab

Sorry but we are not on the same page. i'm asking about 1956 324 #8 and #10 heads. not 1973-77

13. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

You are commenting on the layer generation Olds heads not the 303, 324, 371 variety.

14. F&J

F&J

Holy smokes, the chassis looks slick... and I would have a hard time deciding which motor to use...nothing brings back the old days than the SBC 2x4 with finned Corvette covers.

I like the wheel color too.

15. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Larger intake ports and, while the intake valve diameter was still 1.75 (like all Olds V8 heads since '49), the exhaust valve diameter was increased to 1.5625, a .125 improvement over the 1.4375 valves used in '49-'55 heads. By the way, when Olds increased the rocker arm ratio to 1.8:1 in '52, they actually DECREASED the lobe lift of the camshaft. Running '52-'58 1.8:1 rocker assemblies with a '49-'51 cam results in .400 lift at the valve. Olds finally did this themselves in '55. The '56 camshafts had larger journals, ruling this swap obsolete.

16. ocfab

ocfab

next question is will a J2 tripower setup work with the 324 and #10 heads?
    and did they make 1.5 adjustable rockers or are mine 1.8

17. DON_WOW

DON_WOW
    Member Emeritus

OCFAB,,the 56 #10heads will measure around six and a half less cc's than the 8's making the compression 9.25 in #10's as to 8.5 in the # 8's .

James Harvey likes this.
  18. ocfab

ocfab

i just pulled a head off and it had popup pistons in it so it looks like i need to do some math before i swap heads

19. The J2 intake won't fit, but there are some good 3x2 intakes out there for the 324. Check out Edelbrock's OL396. Offy and Weiand also made 3x2 intakes.

20. F&J

F&J

Read my post above; Both ratios were made by various companies and both ratios were used by dragracers to dail in the cam. They both said camgrinders would do different profiles to use either ratio. That's according to two different old time Olds racers I have talked to. They both also preferred the steel vs. Magnesium..something about flex with big springs and hi rpm. So, yes, you can't expect a modified late 303 or 324 to still have 1.8s in every case.

I have 2 different brands of 1.5s here, both steel. I sold my 1.8 because my cam was within .007 (lift at valve) of the MAX useable lift of a stock 324 piston/uncut head if I used the 1.8. Plus I figure that the 1.5 must be less stress on the lobes....and I'm not racing those gas Willys :)

Put up a pic looking straight down of the rocker shaft with at least one stand showing.

As far as the J2 intake.. I bought out one of the Olds racer guys and one thing I got was a J2 intake bought over the counter that he said " I put it on a Bridgeport to mill the flanges to fit my 324". It's definately cut, but as I recall, I think he said he ran early 371 heads??? on the 324?

I'm no expert on this stuff

21. F&J

F&J

More Olds...Not Mine.. Just sharing info for other viewers swapping stuff around on Olds. I think the owner said it was a 56 324 with early 371 heads. I am pretty sure the heads were #16. He made 1/4" thick aluminum spacers under the intake to make the 303 Edmunds fit the bigger ports on the 324/371 size heads. It just allows you to use 303 gaskets on top side of the plate, and 324 gaskets on the underside of the plate.

Firewall is tight because he is hooked to the flathead driveline.

[​IMG]

Here is the mis match of a 303 Edmunds on a early 324...and shows why you need a plate with both sizes of gaskets. The angles of head and intake match fine but the head port is too tall.

[​IMG]

Here's my mockup: a complete 55 324 stick driveline from a sideswiped-when-new(er) 41,000 mile virgin. I just did the Olds trans gear swap into the top shift 37 Buick trans case. Boy, that trans feels sweet shifting. My friends can't keep their hands off my stick :eek: i wanted a hydro but this setup was too good to pass on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Aftermarket adjustable rocker arms were made in both ratio choices; to further complicate matters, some companies made 1.5:1 adjustable rockers that were intended to be used with the '52-'58 1.8 style rocker stands. I've never seen Iskenderian rockers for early Olds engines that were anything but 1.5:1.

23. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Crappy picture of stock 1.5 and 1.8 stands and rockers. the stand and rocker to the left are the 1.8.
    I'm running #8 heads with the 1.8 rockers on a bored 303 with a reground '50 cam. Hopefully it will work.

Attached Files:

24. Paul

Paul
    Editor

ok,
    I pulled out the only pair each of 10s and 8s I have that aren't bolted down to something..

unfortunately I can't help much here,

the 10s are bare and have a bunch of blending done in the runners
    and the 8s are complete but dirty with valves in so I can't see much

but the chambers sure look the same and so do the flanges

you probably already knew that

25. Paul

Paul
    Editor

oh yeah,
    I just picked up a set of Isky rocker assemblies, all fresh,
    they look to have the same ratio as my stock '57 Olds adjustables
    not the same ratio as the stock '50 hydraulics

26. ocfab

ocfab

ok i pulled the324 apart and it has a engal 134 cam popup pistons and i think it is a keeper crank looks nice also it has been punched out to a 4" bore
    here are some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Paul

Paul
    Editor

compression is probably a mile high,
    but if it all looks that good, I'd be tempted to clean it all up and bolt it back together

nice score

28. F&J

F&J

I think that's good advice because it looks like it was definately a street driven motor. It survived a lot of miles by the looks of the buildup of stains.

I'd look for a stock J2 intake and make it fit. They should be cheap unless they had the orig genuine J2 carbs. Run painted valve covers with the repro J2 decals and it will look slick. Tripower is a good choice vs 6x2, 2x4, 4x2 as far as set-up and reliability.

Those rocker stands are 1.8 and the rockers seem to line up, so I would think the rockers are 1.8. It all ran as it was in the past, so don't mess with switching things...yet..

29. ocfab

ocfab

the bearings look good i will mesure everything and if all looks good maybe just do valvejob and new rings how high do you think the compression is? and with a 4" bore does that make it a 347?

30. ocfab

ocfab

F&J do you have a pic. of your motor mounts?